Talk

Advanced search

To take burgers to a braai?

(13 Posts)
KindergartenKop Fri 19-May-17 18:42:58

The hosts are South African, we are not, it's in the UK. I've put some burgers on the Ocado shop for it. Dh thinks iabu and we should buy some 'proper meat' I.e. steaks.
Who is being unreasonable. It is a SA faux pas to take burgers?

PTFswife Fri 19-May-17 18:58:33

It's fine. But if you want to impress them, take some chicken sosaties (chicken kebabs) - chicken threaded into skewers ideally with dried apricots in between and marinated in a peach chutney/cumin type sauce.

Blimey01 Fri 19-May-17 19:03:08

What's a braai???

thethoughtfox Fri 19-May-17 19:05:44

I've always wanted to know how to spell braai. This has made my day. My ex boyfriend was raised in SA. PP I think it is Afrikans for barbecue. His family only ever put steak / chicken. I have never thought about it but, I don't think they did have burgers but I don't know if there was a reason.

Hadalifeonce Fri 19-May-17 19:08:47

Have you been asked to take food? We never ask guests to bring meat to a BBQ if they offer to bring something I usually say a salad or pudding would be gratefully received.

If you have been asked, take whatever meat you want.

CanIGoToBedNow Fri 19-May-17 19:09:12

My husbands from SA and he would put any meat stuff on a braai - so burgers are fine.

When is the braai - do you have time to find a SA shop that does boerworse (big curly beef type sausage)

KindergartenKop Fri 19-May-17 19:20:50

It's tomorrow night. We do have a SA shop nearby but would that not seem a bit try hard?
Dh has been convinced by all your posts, so thanks!

Biggreygoose Fri 19-May-17 19:30:12

Go for steak or as PP, boerwors, it's not try hard at all.

It also benefits from being freaking delicious.

Burgers are fine though, but I would go high quality. Venison sausages or burgers could be a good shout.

LiefievdM Fri 19-May-17 19:30:58

Lol My husband found this thread hillarious. I am South African. He is British. The "what is allowed on a braai" thing comes up a lot, as I am Afrikaans and we are a bit OTT about the doctrine of braaiing lol
I'd say: if they are english (first language) speaking Saffas, burgers will be ok and not raise any eyebrows - this is the UK after all. If they are Afrikaners, the fact that you are clearly friends and that you are not Saffas will give you a free pass on the burger thing, but not without a few tongue in cheek comments about it not being proper meat. grin

LiefievdM Fri 19-May-17 19:33:18

And whenever someone made the error of bringing chicken to a braai back in SA, there would inevitably be a question about who brought the vegetables. wink

zeeboo Fri 19-May-17 19:37:35

It's not something most SAs would buy for their own braai but I'm sure they would happily allow yours to rub shoulders with their steaks!

Chilver Fri 19-May-17 19:39:32

I am an English speaking saffa. I'd say that the reason burgers aren't so predominant in ours braai is that good quality meat is really reasonable in price so why go for average burgers when you can have steak or boerie?

But in the UK? Anything goes on our braai!

PTFswife Fri 19-May-17 20:16:44

Hadalifeonce - in South Africa its normal for everyone to bring some meat and a salad. It's called a bring and braai

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now