Talk

Advanced search

To think ds can still go to the same school? With diagram

(45 Posts)
Paddingtonbabies Fri 19-May-17 14:29:06

We live on one end of what is essentially one long road, we are moving to the other end of the road into a bigger property. It is a 10 minute walk, exactly 0.5 miles up the road.

Ds is in Primary school at the moment but will be going to senior school soon. The school we want him to go to, and that he wants, is 1 mile from where we live now, a 20 minute walk. Our new house will be half a mile further away from the school.

The dark blue bit is where our house is now.
The light blue bit is our new house, half a mile up the road.
The red bit is the school, 1 mile away from our current house.
The green bit is the bus stop which ds could walk to in 8 minutes then catch a 6 minute bus journey to outside the school.

So his options for getting to school would be, a 30 minute walk or an 8 minute walk followed by 6 minute bus journey, or a 10 minute cycle ride, or mums taxi on some days (I could probably at least take him to the bus stop).

It didn't even occur to me it would be a problem but people are reacting like it's too far for him and really shocked that we'd still send him all that way. You'd think we were moving miles away.

There is another school literally 5 minute walk from our new house, but ds would prefer to go to the further one.

PotteringAlong Fri 19-May-17 14:32:53

Of course it's fine!

Chelsea26 Fri 19-May-17 14:34:27

I had a 10 min walk, a 10 min bus ride, a 20 min train ride and another 10 min walk to secondary school - he'll be fine

blackteasplease Fri 19-May-17 14:36:16

Fine for him. Assuming there are no over subscription problems.

gleegeek Fri 19-May-17 14:36:22

YANBU! As long as your ds is happy with the further away school and is still in catchment, then he is still going to be a lot closer to school than lots of dc are and they manage OK. I did an hour bus ride after a 20 mins walk to the bus stop at secondary and it was normal for me all and all the other dc who lived in our village.

liz70 Fri 19-May-17 14:40:12

I feel disappointed with your diagram, OP. I was expecting little colour coded houses and other buildings, with roofs, and windows and doors. What a letdown. sad

Llamacorn Fri 19-May-17 14:40:20

That really isn't a problem at all, and the bus stop is closer to your new house.
My eldest dd's senior school is just over 5 miles away, she walks around 15mins to the bus stop and gets a school bus there. You may find that your son could get a school bus too rather than a regular service bus, I didn't know one existed before my daughter was at senior school but it does make it easier for her. As she is out of catchment she doesn't get a bus pass but it is only £1 each journey.
I did worry about how early my dd would have to get up in the mornings but she really just takes it in her stride.

Paddingtonbabies Fri 19-May-17 14:40:49

It's still in the catchment area. It might be oversubscribed, but I think they measure distance in a straight line, in which case it won't make much difference. Plus his primary school is a feeder school in the senior school.

Looneytune253 Fri 19-May-17 14:41:01

Our local high school is 3 miles away and they all get the bus?

Paddingtonbabies Fri 19-May-17 14:43:28

Sorry I know my diagram is rubbish, had no pen and paper to hand.

metalmum15 Fri 19-May-17 14:44:24

My DD walks 30-40 minutes to school. It's the nearest one and not on a bus route. If your son doesn't mind it will be fine, and he'll probably have friends to walk with too.

metalmum15 Fri 19-May-17 14:44:24

My DD walks 30-40 minutes to school. It's the nearest one and not on a bus route. If your son doesn't mind it will be fine, and he'll probably have friends to walk with too.

Starlight2345 Fri 19-May-17 14:45:37

Who are these people? ignore them if it works fr your family.

Winniethepooer Fri 19-May-17 14:50:08

Dd has to leave home at 7am to get to school on time!

Paddingtonbabies Fri 19-May-17 14:50:29

Our extended family. They were absolutely horrified when I said he could walk.

A lot of pupils ride their bikes, you even see some of the teachers cycling home.

I can probably drop him off on rainy days before work, even if it means him arriving early, I've noticed children arriving early so they must let them in early.

Mummyoflittledragon Fri 19-May-17 14:55:18

Most children take the bus. This isn't much of a walk. It's fine.

PatriciaHolm Fri 19-May-17 14:58:41

Blimey - a 30 mins walk is totally normal for secondary! Our secondaries are both about 1.5 miles away and no-one bats an eyelid about walking.

metalmum15 Fri 19-May-17 15:02:07

Maybe your family just don't like walking? ! It's great exercise for teenagers.

metalmum15 Fri 19-May-17 15:02:10

Maybe your family just don't like walking? ! It's great exercise for teenagers.

Shockers Fri 19-May-17 15:02:16

My son's High School (and now 6th form) is a 30 minute bus ride away. Other than the price of the bus pass, it's never been a problem.

heymammy Fri 19-May-17 15:04:52

That is absolutely fine! Dd gets the train to school and either walks home with her pals or gets the train. It's 2 miles, perfectly within her capabilities. I do remember though, when she was in her last year at primary, that I could hardly imagine her getting the train to school, she seemed so...inexperienced! That's possibly what's going on with your family.

TheHodgeoftheHedge Fri 19-May-17 15:05:20

Totally and utterly ok. My journey to school for the entirety of secondary school was a 20minute walk up the hill to the bus stop, followed by a 25 minute bus ride. Never a problem and wouldn't have occurred to us to even question it.

notgettingyounger Fri 19-May-17 15:09:55

The walk will keep him fit and healthy :-)

harderandharder2breathe Fri 19-May-17 15:11:35

Standard journey for secondary school pupils!

If he was walking past school b to get to school a then fair enough but presumably it's still the closest secondary?

MycatsaPirate Fri 19-May-17 15:12:13

DD spent several years cycling 6 miles each way to school.

YANBU.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now