Talk

Advanced search

To be absolutely steaming at this?

(20 Posts)
TrustyPatches Fri 19-May-17 14:18:27

I've posted before about our recent dispute with the neighbours next door who have been very friendly up to this point, as have we. The disagreement we had was regarding them putting their food waste in our recycling bin resulting in it not being collected. We mainly keep ourselves to ourselves in the street as it's my parents house and we don't want to cause bother when we're not going to be here forever. We politely asked them not to do this in future and were met with a less than desirable response. I have not spoken to them personally since, neither has my DP but my mum has. They dart into their house if they see us coming/turn the other way etc I expect out of embarrassment for their reaction. The noise out of their house (music/partying/diy general banging and crashing) is unbearable sometimes and has got worse since we mentioned about the bin. They know we have a young toddler and often are very noisy at night, sometimes after 11pm. I haven't complained in the past but I definitely will after today as I've just had a knock on the door from a council officer to tell me a neighbour has made a complaint about us putting our rubbish in their bin and leaving bin bags lying around, neither of which we do! The officer then asked if I would keep my bin in our back garden in future, which it always is except for one morning of the week for it to be collected. As it's untrue to me it's obviously malicious and therefore it must be them. I am livid, AIBU and WWYD?

Sisinisawa Fri 19-May-17 15:07:28

I don't know because without paragraphs your post made my eyes hurt.

So yabu for that.

KinkyAfro Fri 19-May-17 15:16:49

Bit of a dickhead post there sini

KinkyAfro Fri 19-May-17 15:17:18

sisinisawa

endofthelinefinally Fri 19-May-17 15:18:58

I think you need to put the true information in writing to whoever it was who came from the council.

blankmind Fri 19-May-17 15:27:43

I think you need to put the true information in writing to whoever it was who came from the council

This ^ but only the facts, no he said she said, tempting as it is.

A factual, straightforward and polite tone will see your letter treated as it should be.
Good Luck flowers

TrustyPatches Fri 19-May-17 15:29:11

Thanks endof, think I'll do that. What's irritated me most about it was that the bloke said he would usually look through the binbags he'd spotted in the entry but hadn't today. Maybe he should have because then he would have seen they weren't ours!

diddl Fri 19-May-17 15:37:41

"I don't know because without paragraphs your post made my eyes hurt."

You need help then!

TrustyPatches Fri 19-May-17 15:46:08

Hardly a novel like hmm grin

VintagePerfumista Fri 19-May-17 15:46:21

So, you like paragraphs but not punctuation sinisawa?

How bizarre.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Fri 19-May-17 15:50:03

You don't know who made the complaint and you could be wrong about who has complained.

I would email the council to make it very clear you are nothing to do with the rubbish that is left out. I would also add that I would like the problem tackled properly but I'm a bitch who relishes doesn't mind upsetting bureaucrats.

MoreThanJustANumber Fri 19-May-17 16:04:07

Could the neighbours have been putting their rubbish in your other neighbours bin, and they have complained, thinking it was you?

TrustyPatches Fri 19-May-17 16:04:44

MovingOn Good point! I've got reason to believe it's them but no solid evidence 🤔 Hate to think we've made more than one enemy in this street though I've got to say 😂 My DP has called them now and he's waiting for a ring back. Don't really think they'll be able to tell him much.

TrustyPatches Fri 19-May-17 16:07:47

Very possible MoreThan , didn't think of that. We only know and speak to a few of the other people in the street so they could have confused us.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Fri 19-May-17 16:21:30

No wonder Council Tax bills are so high if a council officer makes a home visit to investigate a a complaint about someone putting rubbish in a neighbour's bin! Wouldn't a phone call suffice?

I would just ignore the whole thing and look forward to moving. Life's too short to be getting into these sorts of disputes with (clearly unreasonable) people. smile

EweAreHere Fri 19-May-17 16:29:29

I hope you set the council worker straight and follow up with a response in writing.

Be very clear about your previous interaction with your neighbour over the issue and make it clear that they are participating in this behaviour, not you, and they are lying because you called them on it.

bellabasset Fri 19-May-17 16:58:35

How irritating for you, firstly can I suggest that you put your house number/name on the bin if it is currently unmarked. Before you put your bin out for collection take a photo on your phone of the contents.

Then if the bin is not emptied email the council with a copy of the photo of your bin's contents when it was put out for collection. Our rubbish has to be out by 7am so most of us do it the night before. If this is what you do then check the bin in the morning and take another photo before you leave the house.

With respect to the noise you have my sympathy as my neighbours are noisy with music. I make sure they know it is too loud. I think as your mother is the owner then perhaps she could contact the Environment Agency for advice and if your NDN are renting perhaps contacting the LL might prove useful.

TrustyPatches Fri 19-May-17 19:39:43

Thanks all for your kind advice. We really just need to move, our other neighbours are no better but it's just these we've had a run in with. I did say to the guy who knocked that it wasn't ours and in fact we've had trouble with people putting thier crap in our bins in the past but he just said to make sure our bin is kept in the back garden (which it is) and has our house number on it (which it has).
Bella thanks for that, we will definately take some photos. The noise is hellish sometimes, I have knocked once about music and they did turn it down but now of a night they've started banging and our walls are paper thin. 11pm is not the time to be putting a shelf up or whatever in my opinion, especially when they know who lives here.

Waltermittythesequel Fri 19-May-17 19:43:15

Will your parents continue to live their after you've moved?

I agree that you should contact the council just to reiterate that yours wasn't the rubbish causing the problem.

I'm not sure what else you could do.

TrustyPatches Fri 19-May-17 19:51:02

Yeah Walter they will, to be honest that's the main reason I haven't complained in the past. Although they've burned a bridge with us I would hate for them to still be like that once we've moved. Obviously they've very immature, peculiar people but I feel bad on my parents having to live through an atmosphere. I'll definitely put it in writing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now