Talk

Advanced search

One tomato,two tomato

(31 Posts)
viques Fri 19-May-17 13:51:21

If you ordered breakfast in a naice stablishment and specifically asked for two grilled tomatoes would you expect two tomatoes cut in half and all four halves grilled, or one tomato cut in half and both halves grilled?

SummerMummy88 Fri 19-May-17 13:54:05

Each Tomato cut in half and each half grilled? Why what did they do.

AmserGwin Fri 19-May-17 13:55:51

Two tomatoes so 4 halves. Maybe it only comes with one though? Did you pay extra for another?

liz70 Fri 19-May-17 13:56:07

Depends on how big they are.

sirfredfredgeorge Fri 19-May-17 13:56:43

"two tomatoes grilled" - 2 tomatoes.
"two grilled tomatoes" - 1 tomato

WizardOfToss Fri 19-May-17 13:57:26

2 tomatoes, 4 halves. I sense that is not what you got somehow..😄

ParadiseLaundry Fri 19-May-17 13:57:50

I would expect two halves. If they serve one half tomato as standard, then if I asked for two I would expect two halves.

BorpBorpBorp Fri 19-May-17 13:59:49

I would expect 2 halves.

Firesuit Fri 19-May-17 14:00:03

If the standard recipe for an unspecific number of "grilled tomatoes" is to cut tomatoes into halves and grill them, then I think I'd only expected two halves.

I'm imagining a tray full of grilled tomato halves, and the serving person being asked for "two tomatoes." In that context, the fact that each half had a pair has already been lost, and I'd interpret a "tomato" to be just one item on the tray, even though that is, in a wider sense, only half a tomato.

harderandharder2breathe Fri 19-May-17 14:00:08

If one half is standard, I would expect two to be two halves

I would never want extra tomatoes though I hate them

Firesuit Fri 19-May-17 14:00:55

If they serve one half tomato as standard, then if I asked for two I would expect two halves.

What I was trying to say, far better put.

Floggingmolly Fri 19-May-17 14:01:42

Two halves, I think. Because you'd normally get one half, so the other would be the "extra" one, so to speak.

HappyHorseByAPeacefulPond Fri 19-May-17 14:01:52

I would never, ever do such a thing.

Floggingmolly Fri 19-May-17 14:03:07

I had to type "think" three times before it stopped autocorrecting to "knew" grin

viques Fri 19-May-17 14:04:09

I asked for I fried egg, two sausages ,two grilled tomatoes and two slices of toast. Two identical breakfasts, because I know what I like , two nice hotels, in both cases one tomato was served. I am not complaining, both lovely breakfasts and rather more than I usually have so I was not going to get sniffy, but I assumed that two tomatoes meant just that. neither place cut one sausage in two and pretended it was two sausages.

Maybe it's a hotel thing.

liz70 Fri 19-May-17 14:05:18

Perhaps the cook screwed the online grocery shop up and only got one tomato delivered. Count yourself lucky you got that.

BorpBorpBorp Fri 19-May-17 14:06:39

I think you'd find the same in a restaurant or cafe that served a cooked breakfast. "1 tomato" in the context of an English breakfast means 1 grilled tomato half.

CaulkheadUpNorf Fri 19-May-17 14:07:51

You received what I would imagine as two grilled tomatoes. Try asking for two tomatoes, grilled, and see what happens next.

MrsNuckyThompson Fri 19-May-17 14:08:19

I would expect two halves.

Breakfasts are normally described as coming with 'grilled tomato' which means one half. So two of that would be two halves.

liz70 Fri 19-May-17 14:13:03

Anyway, breakfast tomatoes should be cherry toms tossed in smoked paprika and garlic oil. Anything else is a disappointment.

DoggyMadMum Fri 19-May-17 14:15:16

I'd expect two halves

WizardOfToss Fri 19-May-17 14:17:07

Ah, as part of a full breakfast, I can see that 2 tomato(es) would make sense. I was thinking of toms on toast, preferably sourdough, toms grilled until charred....mmmm.

RitaMills Fri 19-May-17 14:25:11

Half of a tomato is typically one serving with a cooked breakfast so I would count two halves as two tomatoes. So I'd expect two halves if I asked for two tomatoes.

Firesuit Fri 19-May-17 14:38:29

neither place cut one sausage in two and pretended it was two sausages

But no-where serves up whole grilled tomatoes, I presume.

Sausages come in units of whole sausages, therefore "two" means two sausages.

Tomatoes always come in halves, therefore "two" means two halves.

Sisinisawa Fri 19-May-17 15:03:31

I'd expect four halves i.e. Two tomatoes.

I'm boggling that people would think one tomato is actually a half. Totally bizarre.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now