Talk

Advanced search

Would ibu to take poorly toddler away?

(19 Posts)
suzu1982 Fri 19-May-17 12:56:18

Ds, 2, has the tail end of tonsillitis. He has been on amoxicillin since Tuesday and although his tonsils have gone back to the normal size they still have white spots.
We had planned to visit dmil and dfil this weekend. They live about 2 hours away by bus (neither dh or I drive) and we see them quite often. I wouldn't normally have an issue with that, and although ds still has 2 days left of being on medicine, he is his usual happy and energetic self.
Our concern is that dmil is going through chemo. We're not sure if it's a good idea to bring an infection into her house.
Dmil thinks it will be ok, wwyd?

Run4Fun Fri 19-May-17 13:03:18

I wouldn't because your MIL's immunity system is compromised. It is not worth putting her at risk.

ChasedByBees Fri 19-May-17 13:04:40

It's fine to take DS away, but absolutely not to someone immuno-compromised, sorry.

HildaOg Fri 19-May-17 13:05:36

No way.

FoxesSitOnBoxes Fri 19-May-17 13:06:20

No! Absolutely not ok mid chemo!

Northgate Fri 19-May-17 13:07:36

Not with DMIL being on chemo, no. Not worth the risk of her catching it.

SmallBee Fri 19-May-17 13:08:15

I was going to say fine until I read the last bit, 100% not worth the risk! Imagine how awful you'd feel if she caught something.

Spudlet Fri 19-May-17 13:09:45

No, not with the chemo aspect. Poor old MiL came down with all sorts of infections during her last bout of chemo and it was miserable for her.

skyzumarubble Fri 19-May-17 13:14:01

I absolutely not.

AndNowItIsSeven Fri 19-May-17 13:16:36

If he is on antibiotics then your ds has bacterial tonsillitis which is not in any way contagious.

notanurse2017 Fri 19-May-17 13:19:01

Quite often in my experience drs prescribe antibiotics when they have no idea whether the tonsillitis is bacterial or not. I wouldn't take the chance.

usernotfound0000 Fri 19-May-17 13:29:39

Nope. My DM went through chemo last year and I kept DD away with the any slight illness. DM did catch a cold that turned into a chest infection and resulted in her needing a blood transfusion, I would have felt terrible if I had caused it.

harderandharder2breathe Fri 19-May-17 13:41:14

Not with her being on chemo I wouldn't

Normally if he's well in himself I'd say fine, but not with your mil's compromised immune system

suzu1982 Fri 19-May-17 14:01:59

Thanks everyone. I was thinking no, I guess I needed reassuring that I was making the right decision. Now I just have to break it to dmil that we're not coming. That will be fun hmm

Spudlet Fri 19-May-17 14:41:02

I remember I had a long and helpful chat with my GP when I thought DS was getting chicken pox, about MiL and whether we could see her or not. Perhaps you could give your dr a call, that way you'd have your mind put at rest one way or another and you can blame the GP if your MiL isn't pleased!

Run4Fun Fri 19-May-17 16:14:09

Skype/video call until your dc is fully recovered and at no risk of infecting Mil.

Run4Fun Fri 19-May-17 16:14:26

Skype/video call until your dc is fully recovered and at no risk of infecting Mil.

Penfold007 Fri 19-May-17 16:23:03

My DM is immunosuppressed and we have been told to keep the DC away when they have infections.

AnnieAnoniMouse Fri 19-May-17 16:23:04

Bloody hell, no way! It's good you've decided not to. Tell her your GP said 'absolutely no way'. It'll ease the annoyance a bit. Toddlers really are little germ spreaders at the best of times, let alone when they're known to be unwell.

As others have said, lots of Skype time

If you have to be blunt, then do, her getting ill from DS could have life threatening consequences for her. It's. It to be messed with, no matter how much she wants to see him.

Poor thing though 🙁💐

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now