Talk

Advanced search

To look into being a child minder?

(3 Posts)
ALittleBiPolarSunshine Fri 19-May-17 12:10:07

I am a registered nurse who doesn't particularly like going to work. Not that I don't like the job, I just like being free to do my own thing (don't we all!). I'm lucky in that DH earns a good wage so I gave up my full time job and decided to work on th bank instead - this means I can work as much or as little as I want and choose when I work rather than having it dictated to me. I currently do 4 shifts a week.

I've been trying to think of jobs I could do from home which would earn me a similar income. Last night I had the epiphany of child minder! Both my kids are 16+ now I do miss the "little kid stuff". I can't have anymore kids so after a bottle of wine, this seemed like the perfect solution! I could look after someone else's child, do all the kiddy stuff I'm missing whilst getting paid for it! Plus, as a nurse I already have first aid/medical knowledge for those times when things don't go to plan.

AIBU or unrealistic? What's the implications? Do I need a qualification? Is the pay really shit? I'm currently on £12.50 an hour

drinkingtea Fri 19-May-17 12:30:04

I used to childminder and loved it. You look after 3 kids at a time, so if you're fully booked you'd earn more than as a nurse (I had better take home as a child minder than as a teacher on a 60% timetable, but that was taking account of paying for my own DD's childcare as a teacher - I could only mind two plus my own preschool child).

There is a lot of paperwork and some start up costs, and of course you are answerable to parents - choose ones who are a good fit and share your parenting ethos or you'll clash heads.

I could choose families I thought would be a good fit as an ex teacher in a high demand area - Im sure you'll find being a nurse also makes you in demand, though areas can differ in demand and supply of childminders.

I was minding 10 years ago and charged £40 per day 7:30-5:30 or £5 an hour for shorter hours and was pretty much fully booked all the time. I'm sure rates have gone up (that was south east, commutable to London, fairly well off area though).

Obviously how much better off you are depends how many children you look after - if you only want to look after one or two rather than 3 you might be worse off. 3 under 5 can be hard work, obviously.

drinkingtea Fri 19-May-17 12:33:30

You have to do an introduction to childminding course which used to be 12 hours either a weekend or 4 evenings in my area, and be inspected by Ofsted before you start. First aid course too though you might be able to skip that (not necessarily if it's a "computer says no" issue though).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now