Talk

Advanced search

To think I shouldn't have to replace my colleague's umbrella?

(155 Posts)
PineappleFwitters Fri 19-May-17 11:49:53

One of my colleagues is notoriously tight-fisted - the sort who steals biscuits from meeting rooms, is always the first to help himself when you buy treats for the office yet whatever he buys never gets offered around.

He is also very proud of the fact that he's never bought an umbrella for years as he has a collection of ones he's found on the train! He keeps about 3 of them in his drawer at work. The other day it started bucketing down and I had no umbrella so I asked if I could borrow one. After much deliberation he gave me the oldest one he had but I was grateful anyway as it saved me from being drenched.

Unfortunately it was also a windy day, and just as I got home, it got caught in a gust of wind and turned completely inside out. I examined it and it was pretty much wrecked. I apologised to my colleague the next day and explained what happened and he's insisting I buy him a new one, and "not one of those cheap jobs from Primark"!

AIBU to think I shouldn't have to? It was an ancient one he found on the tube years ago and he has plenty of spares! Or, if I'm going to replace it I don't see why it should be with a brand new brolly when it wasn't new to begin with. And no, it's not that he can't afford a new umbrella (he is single, on a good wage and has no mortgage) or that he's a collector of antique umbrellas!

TestingTestingWonTooFree Fri 19-May-17 11:52:05

I think you probably should replace it, but not with a new one. If he wasn't so tight, he'd let it go, but he is who he is.

pipsqueak25 Fri 19-May-17 11:52:43

can quite understand why he's single grin i wouldn't buy one either for the tight fisted git, he's 'stolen' them from other people any way !

blackteasplease Fri 19-May-17 11:52:52

No, don't replace. Laugh in his face. Or say "next time I find an old umbrella on a train I'll give it to you"

ClaudiaWankleman Fri 19-May-17 11:53:59

I would probably just get him one of those cheap ones from Primark. I do think you should replace it (whether or not he paid for it in the first place is irrelevant - you would've replaced it if it had been a gift), but a like-for-like replacement should be given - and a brand new umbrella for an ancient one is fair.

MarklahMarklah Fri 19-May-17 11:54:00

Tell him you'll replace like with like and wait until you next find an abandoned umbrella.

Halfbakedpie Fri 19-May-17 11:54:58

Smile sweetly and say earnestly, "Of course, the next one I see left behind on my travels I'll grab for you, I'll look out for a fab one, thanks!" - replacing like for like it's very fair imo

Highalert Fri 19-May-17 11:55:14

Buy him one from the pound shop. Tell him you found in on the train.

User06383 Fri 19-May-17 11:55:34

eBay! Yes, you should replace it but not with a nice one.

Maybe this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361548067899

TheMaddHugger Fri 19-May-17 11:56:16

New One. Hellz NO. Get one from a second hand shop and call it even

PineappleFwitters Fri 19-May-17 11:56:23

I should also add that in addition to the umbrellas he keeps at work (now down to 2), he's also said he has a few at home. So it's not like he'll be getting wet anytime soon!

Fliptophead Fri 19-May-17 11:56:43

He loaned you an umbrella and you broke it. Who's being tight here? I'd buy him one comparable to what he had. He didn't steal the unmbrella he found it.

kaitlinktm Fri 19-May-17 11:57:32

I would get him the cheapest replacement - it was obviously a shit quality one anyway if it blew inside out at the first sign of a breeze.

Actually no - get him this one.

FadedRed Fri 19-May-17 11:57:33

Pound shops sell umbrellas. You can truthfully say that it wasn't from Primark. I would also put some pinholes in areas that cannot be detected until he tries to use it, and maybe snip some of the stitching holding the fabric to some of the spokes, if you can do that in a way that won't be noticeable.--tightfisted git--

Fliptophead Fri 19-May-17 11:58:16

None of the other stuff is relevant (no mortgage, buscuit hogging etc).

DeanKoontz Fri 19-May-17 11:58:32

Erm, yes, you should replace it. He lent you something and you broke it.

However, I wouldn't be buying him cakes again.

ChildishGambino Fri 19-May-17 11:58:52

Get him the one that looks like a frog?

PineappleFwitters Fri 19-May-17 11:59:12

Technically I didn't break it, the wind did, but I'd happily get him one from the Poundshop. But he's specified "not a cheap one", which I think is rich considering he never paid for it in the first place. And finding one on public transport is not the same as being given one as a gift and it having sentimental value.

KC225 Fri 19-May-17 11:59:15

Agree with the others, say charmingly 'Of course I will replace it and I'll shall get it where you got it'

I hate working with people like that.

Next works party, if there's a karaoke invite him up for a duet to Rhianna's Umbrella

kaitlinktm Fri 19-May-17 11:59:39

No no - this one! grin

pinkmagic1 Fri 19-May-17 12:01:09

I would get him a pound land one too.

TheWitTank Fri 19-May-17 12:01:59

I would replace with a pound job from Primark. I couldn’t resist.

Halfbakedpie Fri 19-May-17 12:02:01

Actually, Google ' theft by finding', give him a printout and condescendingly explain that of course you won't be replacing stolen goods grin

kaitlinktm Fri 19-May-17 12:04:41

And remember this when he needs a favour from you. I know strictly speaking he could ask for a replacement, but it leaves a bad taste. I would buy him one and give it to him publicly

("You know that umbrella you found on the bus and lent to me? The rubbish one which blew inside out on the way home? Well you insisted on a replacement, so here it is. Still, at least I know better than to accept favours from you in future".)

Show him up for the tight-arsed git he is (but I am very petty).

Hillarious Fri 19-May-17 12:05:50

Please, please, please buy kaitlinktm's!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now