Talk

Advanced search

Secondhand toys - clean before giving away?

(21 Posts)
UserThenLotsOfNumbers Fri 19-May-17 11:26:21

Hi, this is more of a "what would you do" rather than AIBU...

I have some clothes and toys that my daughter has outgrown, which I'm giving to my pregnant friend for free. I will give the toys a quick wipe with Milton wipes and I have washed the clothes ready for her. I appreciate my friend will clean these before using too and that's fine, I want her to receive them in a nice condition.

We (gratefully) received some free second hand toys from a friend of a friend (only vaguely know this person). Very kind of her of course, nice toys, but covered in stains - sick food etc! They will be fine once cleaned so it's no problem really but personally I'd be embarrassed to give toys away in that state - even to a charity shop.

If you were giving a friend/friend of friend/charity shop toys and clothes, would you give them a cursory wash or wipe first? What's the usual protocol lol thanks!

ItalianWiking84 Fri 19-May-17 11:28:23

I always wash clothes and clean all other stuff before donating, giving away, selling.

caffeinequick Fri 19-May-17 11:33:56

I always wash stuff too. I'd find it embarrassing to give away dirty stuff!

PurpleCrazyHorse Fri 19-May-17 11:35:13

I wash any clothes before passing them on to friends or a charity shop and would give toys a good wipe and a check of all the pieces. I wouldn't buy dirty things so I won't donate them like that either.

The only things I don't wash are things like coats providing they're in a good, clean condition. I'd give them an air if I can though.

noramum Fri 19-May-17 11:55:09

I just washed all play food and pretend kitchen things DD outgrew and will pass it on to a friend's toddler. I wouldn't dream of handing it over dusty and dirty.

Clothes are all washed but not necessarily ironed as I add them to a bag and bring it to a shop when it is full so most are slightly creased again.

UserThenLotsOfNumbers Fri 19-May-17 12:04:16

Thanks for your replies! I thought cleaning things first is the norm, just consideration I guess?
I know charity shops deep clean everything before putting it on sale anyway (hence my even for a charity shop comment, which I realise sounded a bit snooty but wasn't meant that way!). I'd want something I'm giving away to be nice for the recipient, whoever that may be.

Hillarious Fri 19-May-17 12:08:25

You can even put some toys in the dishwasher - like Lego.

TellMeItsNotTrue Fri 19-May-17 12:15:51

I always clean or wash things before donating them to charity shop or passing on to someone

I collect something and buy vintage ones on eBay, I have bought some really cheaply that don't look in very good condition but 3 minutes with a dettol wipe and they are good as new confused I normally get them cheaply because nobody else bids, if they spent £2 on a pack of wipes and 5 minutes of their time, they could easily get 4x the price for them, I would probably stop bidding at that point but expect it to go even higher. Surely that's worth a few minutes? Never makes sense to me but I'm just grateful for a bargain

madcatwoman61 Fri 19-May-17 12:16:18

I work in a charity shop, and we do not 'deep clean' donations, we have no facilities for this. Clothes are steamed, and other donations cleaned as best we can with a wipe down. I'm constantly amazed at the state of some donations, including unwashed underwear. Anything requiring 'deep cleaning' would probably end up being n the bin.
I would be ashamed to give items to anyone without first cleaning them

honeylulu Fri 19-May-17 12:28:24

I definitely wash clothes and wipe toys/equipment before giving away. The reason I give away is to recycle and not throw away. Anyone receiving a mucky "gift" will surely just bin it!

UserThenLotsOfNumbers Fri 19-May-17 12:57:20

@madcatwoman61 unwashed underwear!!! Nooo!!! envy

Erinys Fri 19-May-17 13:23:15

I always wash. Plastic toys with no batteries I tend to chuck in a dettol bath and any with batteries I'll spray with milton.

When I was student, I volunteered in a charity shop and the state of some donations... people had literally emptied houses into bin bags, dirty washing included.

kel1493 Fri 19-May-17 13:28:25

I always wash and iron clothes, and clean toys before giving them away.

notsmartenough Fri 19-May-17 14:46:36

If anyone asks beforehand I'll tell donors that we need clothes to be washed but not necessarily ironed as we steam them anyway.
Any dirty clothes will be thrown away but it's always lovely to open a bag and find washed and ironed clothes.

We always keep wipes under the counter as sometimes toys are dirty. The worst I saw were two large plastic outdoor toys - they'd have needed a hose on them never mind wipes.
Luckily a customer wanted to buy them before we even had a chance to clean them - we knocked a few quid off the price and we were saved a nasty job.

I dread it when we get people coming in saying they've just cleared out their shed/garage/loft or have stuff left over from a car boot sale.
Nine times out of ten it's mostly filthy and/or rubbish and should have gone straight to the tip.

We really appreciate it when people have taken the trouble to sort and clean their donations.

MikeUniformMike Fri 19-May-17 14:55:24

I wash everything before it goes to the charity shops. Shoes get wiped down with antibacterial spray, trainers get disinfected then put in the wash. children's clothes usually get a quick iron.
Kitchen stuff gets washed.

MikeUniformMike Fri 19-May-17 15:02:14

Things bought from charity shop should not be assumed to be clean.
Seen things with used tissues in the pockets etc.

TestingTestingWonTooFree Fri 19-May-17 15:05:37

I've been a recipient not a donor of kids stuff and it usually comes out of the clean washing pile (unironed).

TheClacksAreDown Fri 19-May-17 15:12:17

I just gave some expensive baby equipment away. I made clear that some had been sitting in the loft and so was a bit dusty from that and others no some had been sitting out in the house and I didn't have time to give it a proper clean as if o were selling it but certainly not dirty from sick or food. It was gratefully taken on that basis.

TheClacksAreDown Fri 19-May-17 15:16:16

If I were donating to a charity shop I would clean though.

hippadoppaloppagorillapig Fri 19-May-17 15:23:03

I absolutely wash clothes & clean toys before giving them away or sending them to charity. Why wouldn't you?!

UserThenLotsOfNumbers Fri 19-May-17 16:37:53

Thanks all - there seems to be a clear consensus on this one!
I love our village charity shop, it has some great things in there especially children's toys smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now