Talk

Advanced search

Tenancy contract help please

(4 Posts)
BonneMaman77 Fri 19-May-17 10:51:28

Huge tenancy dilemma. Supposed to move in on date x. Contract was signed and deposit paid. 1.5 weeks to go and land lord says we cannot move in until x+1 as it won't be ready. Has not confirmed we can get keys by 10am on x+1 either!
She was supposed to provide floor boards which my DP will install in 2 rooms as I'm allergic to carpets and hasn't confirmed this will be given morning or x+1 either.
Today, agent says he doesn't remember us asking for flat unfurnished. Flat was advertised furnished or unfurnished. And Despite contract only menitoning fixtures and fittings but not furniture. We have a pile of furniture and no space.
Given that the landlord is already not going by contract move in date is it now void? Can we walk away and claim back deposit?
Anyone who can advise?

nocake Fri 19-May-17 13:02:03

If the tenancy agreement starts on date x then the landlord is obliged to provide you with accommodation from that date. If you're going through an agent I would remind them of this and ask what alternative accommodation they will be providing or what compensation will be offered instead.

If you want to walk away you might be able to but I'd get legal advice before you do.

nocake Fri 19-May-17 13:03:24

I should add... both the landlord and agent will be hoping you don't realise they have to provide alternative accommodation because it's going to cost them. So be firm and clear in your demands.

hangingkebab Fri 19-May-17 13:06:05

I'd contact Shelter for advice OP. IME (nearly 20 years renting, and have also worked in housing) it's very unusual for a contract to be signed before the day you move in. They may be best placed to give you specific information.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now