Talk

Advanced search

To be annoyed that a friend is selling clothes I gave her that she said she liked.

(32 Posts)
iiyamamei Fri 19-May-17 10:36:15

So I gave a friend some boys clothes when her baby was born that I didn't use for my little one as it wasn't my style. She picked what she liked and took them home.

They are 12 month size, he has a newborn.

I have just seen that she is now selling some of the items so not even used them yet.

If I wanted to sell them I could of done it my self but thought I would keep them for her as she was having a baby. If she didn't like them they why say she did, take them, then go and sell them on a site!

AIBU to be a little bit annoyed by this?

TheDevilMadeMeDoIt Fri 19-May-17 10:42:44

I think you'll get a lot of responses saying that once you've given them away it's not up to you any more what she does with them, but I don't think YABU to be annoyed. When she said she liked them, it makes it sound like she didn't mean 'for her son' but 'will sell well'.

I'd be miffed too.

stuckinthehouse Fri 19-May-17 10:46:26

Maybe she's struggling financially and, whilst the clothes are nice, she knows she will benefit more from the cash. If this is the case, I'd be pleased to be helping her in this way.

AnnetteCurtains Fri 19-May-17 10:46:56

I think it's pretty rude to be honest

Whereismumhiding2 Fri 19-May-17 11:23:16

Don't give her any clothes again. I would be cross at this, but no good will come of challenging her. She will find she's lost far more money by all the clothes you could have passed down. No need to say anything. You can sell them yourself.

KurriKurri Fri 19-May-17 11:41:04

Maybe she's struggling financially and, whilst the clothes are nice, she knows she will benefit more from the cash. If this is the case, I'd be pleased to be helping her in this way.

While your attitude is generous stuckinthehouse if she is thinking as you said, she has effectively asked 'can I have some of your belongings so I can sell them as I'm strapped for cash' - that's a bit of an odd request I'd say and because she did it in an underhand way she didn't allow Op the choice of saying 'No, you can't sell things I own, but I can lend you a bit/give you some cash/not give you anything'

I think it's bloody rude, and if it's a FB site I'd be inclined to post and say 'If you don't want the clothes I;d like them back please.'

namechange20050 Fri 19-May-17 11:43:41

This is really rude. I'd have ni problem someone selling clothes after they have been worn but to do it before is awful. I'd ask her for them back and pass them on to someone else.

Lillieslamb Fri 19-May-17 11:49:12

I wouldn't mind if the clothes had been worn, but what she has done would annoy me too. At least you know to never give her clothes again.

iiyamamei Fri 19-May-17 11:57:43

Yer I think that's why it has annoyed me due to the fact she not used them.

iiyamamei Fri 19-May-17 11:58:46

It was on a fb site to but dh told me I should just leave it.

KC225 Fri 19-May-17 12:04:14

I don't think there is much you can do as you gave them to her but I would be miffed. I would put a cheeky comment on the post saying 'l can guarantee they haven't been worn as I gave them to her'.

It's petty but I would want to let her know I knew what she was up to

LadyinCement Fri 19-May-17 12:08:45

Yes, I think this is quite different to giving someone some used clothes and then the recipient selling them on after their dc has used them.

I don't think there is much OP can say or do, just not give them anything else.

FurryLittleTwerp Fri 19-May-17 12:15:18

I'd be tempted to comment on the site

"Oh these are the ones I gave you - they were excellent"

Savingfavour120 Fri 19-May-17 12:24:18

I gave some of my new tommy tippee feeding bottles to a friend as she wanted to try a new bottle and the following week she put it on sale on FB. It was still sealed. I was so annoyed. She could have given it back to me as our dc are the same age ( one week apart ) and I still use the bottles.

confuugled1 Fri 19-May-17 12:28:51

Meh, I'd be tempted to say that you gave them to her because you thought that she was going to use them but if she's already decided that she's not going to then you'll have them back because you know other people that would have liked them and that you could have sold them yourself...

Even if you don't end up getting them back from her, it will at least show her that you've spotted what she is up to and that you think it's bloody cheeky.

Did she cherry pick the things that will sell best by any chance?

Oblomov17 Fri 19-May-17 12:38:59

I don't like this. Yes, I know it's theirs to do with what they want, once given. But really? Selling? Come on.

Oblomov17 Fri 19-May-17 12:40:48

I did it once. Sold something I was given. don't know why I did it. Shamed, to this day. I can't believe I was that stupid or insensitive, or just didn't think. I know better now.

ProphetOfDoom Fri 19-May-17 12:45:35

Wow. That's calculating and rude. It would give me a completely new appreciation for my 'friend'.

CaulkheadUpNorf Fri 19-May-17 12:53:13

When you talked to her about this, what did she say?

iiyamamei Fri 19-May-17 13:20:28

She picked out what she wanted, It was a bag full of items some had small stains or were a bit well worn so she didn't take them. So yer prob looking for the best bits to sell.
They were all second hand as they were my little ones but a lot had not been worn or worn once as I didn't like them for my little one.

notanurse2017 Fri 19-May-17 13:22:32

I'd contact her and ask her to give back what she hasn't sold. So you can pass onto someone else who won't make a financial profit.

notanurse2017 Fri 19-May-17 13:23:15

So what confugled1 said basically grin

Silverleaved Fri 19-May-17 13:49:19

Rude that's not on. Anything you were given for free should be passed for free too (after using!) Or offer to return to original owner

Whereisthecake Fri 19-May-17 13:53:01

Sounds rude.

She may have really needed some money but this just makes her look ungrateful. If she really was struggling, the free clothes should have been seen as a nice gift.

DianneDionne Fri 19-May-17 13:56:43

I'd be annoyed by this, fair enough if she's used them and was passing them on but to make money on items she hasn't even used yet is not on. I'd text her and explain that you didn't appreciate her making money from them, you'd rather pass them on to people who need them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now