Talk

Advanced search

To punish for low grade at school? (Year 3)

(102 Posts)
jumildreen Thu 18-May-17 17:05:32

Just wondering if it would be okay. DS didn't do well in his spellings at all we have been working hard on them at home but I feel he isn't trying hard enough with them at school.

WIBU to punish because of this?

RoseandVioletCreams Thu 18-May-17 17:08:09

No you need to help him get motivated to learn more and well.

Just go over a few with him, what does he like? what would be a good reward goal for him to look forward too?

PedantHere Thu 18-May-17 17:09:53

YABU

You need to set rewards if he achieves a certain target. You should also try different (more interesting) revision strategies instead of just learning by rote.

DarkFloodRises Thu 18-May-17 17:10:05

YABU. He may find spelling hard (any indicators that he is dyslexic?). Or even if he was messing around and could have done better, it's only a Y3 spelling test, not his GCSEs! I think you need to chill out a bit.

bigmack Thu 18-May-17 17:10:46

You think he's not learning on purpose? What a strange idea.

alltouchedout Thu 18-May-17 17:11:00

Yes, of course YABU hmm

Dawndonnaagain Thu 18-May-17 17:11:11

Please don't ever penalise a child for not doing well. He may have had a bad week, someone else may have upset him at break. He's year three, that's tiny. Just find a different and more fun way of helping him to remember them. Play games rather than learning by rote.
Good luck!

FurbysMakeSexNoises Thu 18-May-17 17:11:56

I've never ever responded on these but YABVU

AnnetteCurtains Thu 18-May-17 17:12:13

Why do you think he's not trying hard enough ?

RubyWinterstorm Thu 18-May-17 17:12:35

sad

don't punish! Do you want to create anxiety in him about spelling? Anxiety and stress do not generate better academic outcomes or happy children.

Try reading with him instead, reading is a great way to improve spelling

jumildreen Thu 18-May-17 17:12:53

I was only planning on removing his chill time and change it for extra revision!

SweetLuck Thu 18-May-17 17:13:55

Christ, way to inspire a child to love learning!

SweetLuck Thu 18-May-17 17:14:41

'Chill time'?

That just called 'being at home' here grin

christinarossetti Thu 18-May-17 17:17:01

How's his spelling overall, because that's what matters?

I pretty sure that I've read somewhere that spelling tests don't improve spelling - using phonics for reading and writing does though.

pointythings Thu 18-May-17 17:17:23

YABVU. If you want your DS to be good at spelling, read to him lots, encourage him to read for himself and make leaning spelling fun.

Lunde Thu 18-May-17 17:17:26

Don't overreact and don't be silly - he is tiny and may not always "perform" in a test situation. This is a very small issue - by turning revision and learning into a punishment you might turn him off education altogether.

Reading threads like this makes me glad that my kids went to school in a country where formal education does not start until 7.

TheMysteriousJackelope Thu 18-May-17 17:17:32

YABU.

It would be more to the point to work with him on the poorly spelled words over the weekend so he does know how to spell them in the future. That might help you find out why he did badly this week as opposed to other weeks so he can learn how to study more effectively.

Just punishing him won't help if he doesn't know how to learn material. It might be that the words are getting more difficult and his previous methods might not be working any more.

Tomorrowillbeachicken Thu 18-May-17 17:17:38

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

jumildreen Thu 18-May-17 17:18:28

He's actually 7.

LilQueenie Thu 18-May-17 17:18:50

yabu if he isn't trying hard at school speak to the teachers. It is ok to have low grades especially at this age. He will learn at his own pace.

jumildreen Thu 18-May-17 17:19:45

Well he is normally top for spelling and he wasn't last week. He didn't do good. 6/10.

CecilyP Thu 18-May-17 17:21:18

If he did badly despite both of you working hard on his spellings at home, he has obviously forgotten them between the 'hard work' and the test. Perhaps the 'hard work' wasn't particularly effective, or perhaps his memory isn't that great. Do you honestly think he forgot them deliberately and punishment will inspire a better memory? YABVU!

dddddddddd Thu 18-May-17 17:22:21

This can't be real hmm

Whereisthecake Thu 18-May-17 17:22:40

6/10 isn't even that bad?

YABU

jarhead123 Thu 18-May-17 17:23:26

It's just spelling. He is 7! He'll get there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now