Talk

Advanced search

Account in minus.

(29 Posts)
FlyingJellyfishintheAttic Thu 18-May-17 16:50:13

I've logged in to see my account is in -£130 due to council tax going out yesterday. It went into minus today for a few hours and I have used savings to bring it back into a plus amount.

Will I be fined for this? Will it affect my credit score? I knew I was due to transfer in some savings as DH work have delayed paying him until this month (return from PL) however I missed getting savings in by a few hours so it was minus for a few hours.

FlyingJellyfishintheAttic Thu 18-May-17 16:51:06

CT paid yesterday but account updated today to give minus figure.

dementedpixie Thu 18-May-17 16:57:08

Depends on the bank and when the account went overdrawn and when the money was paid in to cover it. If you paid money in on the same day it went overdrawn then you may not get charged. Which bank is it?

dementedpixie Thu 18-May-17 16:58:35

So if it went overdrawn yesterday and you cleared it today then there may be one chargeable day. Depends on bank t&c's

PedantHere Thu 18-May-17 17:01:08

Depends on the bank and the specific timings.

If you repaid it on the same day then it probably won't affect anything.

Heratnumber7 Thu 18-May-17 17:03:49

What are the Ts and Cs of your account?
You'll find them on your banks website.

FlyingJellyfishintheAttic Thu 18-May-17 17:50:35

I paid council tax yesterday. The account takes 24 hours to update so the account has only been in the minus today (dated today for payment to council going out). I cleared minus today. So would have been a minus for a few hours only.

magoria Thu 18-May-17 17:52:42

Barclays send me a text and tell me I have up until something like 2 o'clock to put money in before they charge me.

You could be OK.

FlyingJellyfishintheAttic Thu 18-May-17 17:58:35

Thanks all. I hope it will be ok. Will update if anything comes of it.

PuckeredAhole Thu 18-May-17 18:02:49

HSBC gives you 24 hrs to get back in the black.

BollardDodger Thu 18-May-17 18:15:22

What do you mean by "fined'? Do you not have an agreed overdraft limit? If not, you will be charged, and your credit score will be fucked. If it is within an agreed overdraft limit, then you will pay whatever your bank charges you, but it won't affect your credit score.

dementedpixie Thu 18-May-17 18:19:14

If the council tax payment shows with today's date and you paid money in today then you should be fine. If it had shown with yesterday's date and it had been overdrawn from yesterday until today then you may have got charged for being overdrawn.

dementedpixie Thu 18-May-17 18:22:34

If the council tax shows with today's date then it was paid today not yesterday. What bank is it as some have different cut off times for paying in to cover an overdrawn balance

Afterthestorm Thu 18-May-17 18:22:49

I really doubt it would affect your credit score.

Asiaticlily Thu 18-May-17 18:25:33

Your credit file will normally only show the status of your account on the specific date they took the data. It should be fine especially as it was not a full day you were overdrawn .

It might be best to call the bank and check. Sometimes if you explain they can prevent any action being taken if it is due to? (Eg charges or credit file)

Afterthestorm Thu 18-May-17 18:41:41

When this happened to me they let me off the charge, but could only do it once per year. It's worth asking.

dementedpixie Thu 18-May-17 18:55:49

If the account was put back into credit quickly on the same day it went overdrawn then there probably is no charge anyway. Op needs to check the t&c's

FlyingJellyfishintheAttic Thu 18-May-17 19:12:17

I'm with Nationwide. It's my credit score I'm more worried about A fine I'll just have to accept as I should have checked it.

Lostinaseaofbubbles Thu 18-May-17 19:13:44

Do you have an agreed overdraft at all?

BollardDodger Thu 18-May-17 19:31:21

I'm with Nationwide. It's my credit score I'm more worried about A fine I'll just have to accept as I should have checked it.
The important thing is was the overdraft authorised or unauthorised?

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Thu 18-May-17 19:33:55

Flying for future reference with Nationwide you can set an alert so they send you a low balance amount, determined by you.

Bumbumtaloo Thu 18-May-17 19:34:23

I'm with Nationwide too and normally get a text to say I have until 2.30 to transfer cleared funds. I have actually completely bounced a direct debit - totally my own fault! And have never been charged.

Bumbumtaloo Thu 18-May-17 19:37:01

Should have included this too, the list of nationwide charges.

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/products/current-accounts/service/overdraft-bank-charges

HeyHoThereYouGo657 Thu 18-May-17 19:37:07

Wish we could do without thieving banks

What was wrong with paying things in person ? with the bill stamped ? Oh yea , GREED of the Wanker Bankers

dementedpixie Thu 18-May-17 19:43:58

From the nationwide leaflet:

•If you go over your arranged overdraft limit but rebalance your account by 6pm the same day you won’t be charged any usage fees 

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now