Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to get her a gift? Or is it weird?

(21 Posts)
isletsoffrangipane Thu 18-May-17 15:54:10

Someone at my university (in pastoral support) really helped me this year. We met up weekly for the best part of 2 months and I've been a lot better since. University finishes tomorrow and I'd like to get her a card and a gift.

Would this be a bit cringey/cross a boundary or would you find it OK? I don't want to make her feel uncomfortable. I was thinking a nice (not overly gushy) card and maybe some small chocolate gift? I would do flowers but she's a busy professional and they might be a bit of a hassle to sort out.

holidaysaregreat Thu 18-May-17 15:57:25

YANBU I think that sounds lovely. Maybe keep the card quite formal - along the lines of 'thanks for your support this year, it has been a huge help' & I don't see why not flowers? Everyone loves flowers surely?! Otherwise chocs sound nice too.

MeadowDream Thu 18-May-17 15:58:08

I think it's a nice thought. People like to be told they have helped and made your life a bit easier. I think a small gift and a thoughtful card is a lovely idea

grannytomine Thu 18-May-17 16:04:10

I bet she would be really pleased, it is a nice thing to do.

Colacolaaddict Thu 18-May-17 16:11:16

I bet it'll make her day! You're overthinking on the flowers - either flowers or chocs would be great.

NataliaOsipova Thu 18-May-17 16:12:58

I think that would mean an awful lot to her. Lovely idea. Flowers or chocs are perfect - not too personal but will be enjoyed.

Teardropexplodes Thu 18-May-17 16:14:20

I sent my counsellor a card with a Dolly Parton quote on it when I was signed off. She loved it. YANBU.

IheartDodo Thu 18-May-17 16:25:43

I think that's nice - I work in a University and have got gifts rfom students.
I would only give it after she's "finished" with you though... just because my Uni is a bit funny about gifts and if they're over a certain value you have to declare them.

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 18-May-17 16:29:21

I just got a succulent from someone I was helping through work.

Totally happy because; she asked if it was OK, she was formal with it, she did it after our time together was done.

I keep every card I get. Sometimes us helper-types can feel a little like we make no difference at all!

sparechange Thu 18-May-17 16:30:45

That's really lovely, and I'm sure it would be appreciated

MerryMarigold Thu 18-May-17 16:31:59

I would write a lovely card with some specific feedback. Not gushy, but helpful and sincere. Eg. Thank you for helping me feel more confident in speaking to blah blah, Thank you for helping me deal with this...situation. It's really made a difference. Your positive spin on things is something I will remember. Etc.

Cottongusset Thu 18-May-17 16:36:38

Lovely thought - even just a Thank You card would be more than enough.

UserThenLotsOfNumbers Thu 18-May-17 16:38:17

I think that's a lovely idea OP go for it!

MrsArthurShappey Thu 18-May-17 16:51:19

Absolutely, I'm sure she will be delighted to know what her support means to you smile

Cakeisbest Thu 18-May-17 19:28:43

Do it, it will mean a lot.

Sunshinesuperman Thu 18-May-17 19:59:43

A card and perhaps a small gift is not at all unusual in the pastoral setting I have contact with at the ending of the sessions.

HeirOfNothingInParticular Thu 18-May-17 20:07:38

It's a lovely idea, and I am sure will be well received

LadyMonicaBaddingham Thu 18-May-17 20:09:23

I was given a book token by a colleague whom I helped with her computer skills, it meant a lot to me that she'd appreciated the help.

isletsoffrangipane Thu 18-May-17 20:11:44

Thanks everyone! I have bought a card and a yellow flowering plant in a pot.

ladymariner Thu 18-May-17 20:16:29

Lovely thought, well done you x

IheartDodo Thu 18-May-17 20:30:29

sounds lovely smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now