Talk

Advanced search

To start a new job when pregnant?

(10 Posts)
acquiescence Thu 18-May-17 13:19:25

I am due to start my new job in 2 weeks and I have just found out I'm pregnant. I have two small children and this has been a bit of surprise.

I'm worried that my new colleagues will think badly of me starting the job and then going on maternity leave so soon. Maternity pay isn't an issue as the new job is within the same large organisation. I am looking forward to the new job and don't like my old job that much. I am however wondering if I should stay in the old job. I'm also worried about the practicalities of starting the new job when pregnant in case I get morning sickness, also my husband works away sometimes. If I stay in the current job I will feel sad about going back to it after maternity leave. Any advice gratefully received.

(I will obviously discuss this with/ inform my new manager before I start)

NotQuiteJustYet Thu 18-May-17 21:27:44

I'm in the same boat at the moment. I found out I was pregnant 2 days after accepting the position, again within the same company.

I'm currently around 10 weeks pregnant and I was due to start the job on Monday, but now I'm signed off by my GP due to complications so I won't be going back until I'm at least 12 weeks. My new manager has been very good with me.

Take the new job, you've been offered it for a reason smile

sarahastiven Fri 19-May-17 11:43:32

I can honestly say I'd be taking the job. No reason why not. You applied and got it on merit. You're looking forward to it and are not happy in current job. And it's much better psychologically to have a job you enjoy and are looking forward to returning to after Mat leave than being miserable at the thought of it, especially as going back to any job is hard after having a baby.
Hope you take it and enjoy it!

acquiescence Fri 19-May-17 12:59:11

Thanks both, that is reassuring and helpful.

Glad that your new manager has been understanding notquite and I hope your pregnancy is healthy.

theymademejoin Fri 19-May-17 14:33:00

Absolutely no reason not to take it. I took my current job, in a new company, at 5 months pregnant and no one batted an eye.

londonfeather Fri 19-May-17 14:47:39

Do it. You are protected by law. If you get sick and need time off (hopefully not) tough titties for them - they are a large organisation and they will have to find appropriate cover whilst your off.

TestingTestingWonTooFree Fri 19-May-17 14:55:18

I started a new job at 18 weeks pregnant, it worked out really well.

JustMuddlingOn Sat 20-May-17 09:30:29

I did this and found it really hard. Didn't really manage to settle in as I was aware I would be off again soon, manager took a dislike to me as I wasn't able to do everything due to pregnancy risk assesment (risk of violence) and staff didn't seem to take me seriously in a management position due to the above reasons.
I ended up getting another job at the end of mat leave and not going back.
Hopefully I'm the minority though! Good luck whatever.

BellyBean Sat 20-May-17 10:08:53

How long have you been in the other role? Don't feel bad, it doesn't matter even if it wasn't the same company. Ive done it twice now, 4 months in my new role before mat leave and now I've just gone through a restructure and got a promotion. I won't start til after my mat leave and was obviously heavily pregnant, but they were happy to hire me and backfill until I get back.

acquiescence Sat 20-May-17 20:49:48

just muddling thanks, I guess this what I'm worrying about.

bellybean I've been in my current role for around 3.5 years although one year on mat leave, but for the same organisation for over 10 years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now