Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to phone & complain to building company about catcalls?

(13 Posts)
WimbledonMum1 Thu 18-May-17 12:14:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

specialsubject Thu 18-May-17 12:19:37

not at all - get on that phone. This kind of 1970s behaviour has long been outside the considerate constructor code and you are entirely justified in making a complaint.

www.ccscheme.org.uk/ccs-ltd/code-of-considerate-practice-2/

FatBottomedGal Thu 18-May-17 12:35:42

I would absolutely complain - there isn't a single situation I can think of where catcalling is appropriate. It's happened to me a few times this year and it makes me feel quite threatened. These people need to be told that it's inappropriate, otherwise they'll never learn!

I'm sure they wouldn't agree with men leering at their mothers, sisters or daughters!

WimbledonMum1 Thu 18-May-17 13:15:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

IndigoWendigo Thu 18-May-17 13:31:32

Personally, I wouldn't complain, but that's because I don't really mind being catcalled that much.

However, YANBU to do so as it is extremely unprofessional. You wouldn't get catcalled in a shop etc, or by a waiter at a restaurant... It's always builders.

BorpBorpBorp Thu 18-May-17 13:39:57

YANBU. It's totally appropriate to complain and they should take your complaint seriously.

icanteven Thu 18-May-17 13:47:13

I would be complaining non-bloody-stop. It's obnoxious and harassing behaviour.

And yes, I have complained about builders to their employers before.

Hello Love!
Hey! Hello!
Love!
Are you not going to say "hello" back?
Hey!
HELLOOOOOO!!!!

Every fucking day. So I changed my route and then realised how ridiculous that was, and sent the contractors a bollocking by email, got an apology and that was the end of the calling.

If my staff hadn't stopped behaving like that after the first warning, I would be letting them go for gross misconduct the day I got the 2nd complaint.

grassinpocket Thu 18-May-17 13:47:49

I got cat called in town on my lunch break.

I'm a 40 year old nurse. In uniform (trousers). It just felt so grubby.

icanteven Thu 18-May-17 13:49:22

IndigoWendigo

Really? In the position of one of the joggers, for instance, you wouldn't mind being leered and whistled at, and then having your body discussed loudly and in graphic detail, to the extent that everybody around could hear every word?

You must have very thick skin indeed not to be fussed about that.

icanteven Thu 18-May-17 13:50:22

I'm a 40 year old nurse. In uniform (trousers). It just felt so grubby.

While I'm sure you look lovely, it has nothing to do with hotness and everything to do with a man essentially saying "I can say anything I want to, or about you, and you are utterly powerless to stop me. Don't ever forget that."

KinkyAfro Thu 18-May-17 13:53:52

I work in construction and am site based, if any of our operatives are found to be doing this, they are red carded off site. They are then never allowed to work on our sites again.

Absolutely report them

BillSykesDog Thu 18-May-17 13:56:42

Please do it. My DH is a builder and a lot of builders and their family's hate this happening as they don't want to be tarred with the same brush.

grassinpocket Thu 18-May-17 13:59:50

Yy icanteven

It just made me think nothing is off limits... horrid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now