Talk

Advanced search

Will he be a nightmare to work with?!

(13 Posts)
linard Wed 17-May-17 18:09:02

Three days ago I interviewed a young man that was so nervous he could barely string a coherent sentence together.

At the end I said to him that the job was more fast paced than the role he had experience in. Now I admit this isn't entirely true. It may be marginally slower paced but his experience was perfect for the role he just hadn't proved his competency. This was me verbalising my thoughts that he didn't have what it takes to do the job. He came across lacking in confidence and did not prove his competency so I was trying to manage his expectations.

Suddenly all his nerves were gone and His reply was 'no I do not agree with that at all and I doubt you said that to the last successful applicant who left the company I currently work for, who was chosen to get a job on your team'.

He then proceeded to give a thorough description of his relevant work experience and gave examples from his work of how he has demonstrated his competence. He brought out files of his work, all of which was of an exceptional standard.

Finally, he took the initiative to answer all the questions again. He did so with complete ease and scored maximum points on each question. Obliterating all competition in his path. He ended by saying that it's important not to put down someone's experience just because they had performed badly in an interview.

He apologised if he had come across rude but he wanted to stand up for himself. He said he also wanted to state that he was very passionate about working for the company and felt the role was one he would find rewarding and something he could develop and utilise his skills in.

I nearly fell off my chair!

AIBU to think he could be a nightmare to work with? Or does he sound amazing?

He's got the job anyway.

BeeFarseer Wed 17-May-17 18:11:18

I think he did amazingly well to turn it around, and time will tell what he's like in work.

<sits on fence>

LedaP Wed 17-May-17 18:11:50

I think he is one of those that will be amazing or a nightmare. I bet there will be no in between.

But i have to say i am impressed he got over his nerves. Thats really difficult especially if the nerves are still there part way through and its clear you messed you up some answers

GavelRavel Wed 17-May-17 18:11:54

i'd have given him the job too! I think he'll be fine, interviews are nerve wracking, good on him for getting over his nerves and pulling it together. What kind of role is it? he may be a bit of a know it all but you can probably​ get round that if he's ery competent.

jelliebelly Wed 17-May-17 18:13:16

Got to be worth a risk I'd say!

BollardDodger Wed 17-May-17 18:17:10

Depends what the job is. Does the job need someone who is confident and can stand up for themselves?

linard Wed 17-May-17 18:17:21

I don't think he would have been so nervous if he was arrogant or a know it all. We shall see how he actually is.

Technically we only have to score until we ask the candidate if they have any questions. It was only at the very end he turned it around. So still time to turn him down.

At the moment the job is his. But it doesn't have to be as we are due to contact applicants tomorrow.

linard Wed 17-May-17 18:17:51

BollardDodger absolutely!

ZilphasHatpin Wed 17-May-17 18:18:37

I bet he'll be amazing at his job and a nightmare to work with which will mean as much as you want to get rid of him you won't because he is so good grin

noitsnotme Wed 17-May-17 18:24:01

Give him chance. Someone who gave a perfect interview could well end up being a nightmare anyway. Surely we've all worked with a nightmare colleague at one point, who was obviously considered, by someone, to be right for the job. I love that he managed to turn it around.

Storminateapot Wed 17-May-17 18:25:46

One of my sons has a language processing disorder. If asked to come up with answers to unknown questions under stress he will find it hard to find his words, sound unco-ordinated, stumble and struggle. When he's on firm ground, for example if he has rehearsed & knows what he wants to say, he can be very articulate & confident. He's bright as anyone else and quick to learn, but sometimes his speech doesn't reflect that. It does worry me that his performance in interviews is likely to hinder him, so it gives me hope to hear that you have been prepared to look beyond a shaky start and give someone a chance.

I'm not saying this is the same, just that sometimes there's more to people than first impressions suggest.

Fluffypinkpyjamas Wed 17-May-17 21:45:51

What sort of company is it OP?

harderandharder2breathe Wed 17-May-17 22:08:36

The fact that he apologised if he came across as rude makes me think he'll be good. If he was an arrogant prick he wouldn't have been so nervous to begin with and wouldn't have thought "shit maybe they think I'm being horribly rude"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now