Talk

Advanced search

To wonder why you have more kids?

(23 Posts)
brasty Wed 17-May-17 17:29:46

Maybe I am being unreasonable? But I know a few women with DCs who at any opportunity go on and on about how hard being a mother is. How tired they are and overwhelmed with the responsibility.
And yet they have both had more DCs since I have known them. I just don't understand this at all. If it is so so hard, just don't have any more surely?

witsender Wed 17-May-17 17:32:37

Because even if something is hard it is still rewarding, worth doing etc. And they are only small for a few years.

WhooooAmI24601 Wed 17-May-17 17:36:12

Because children are awesome. Mine drive me batshit at times and I've genuinely phoned my mother once and shouted "What did I ever do to make life give me kids like these?" at her. But they're incredible, they bring joy, laughter and so much love I could burst. What's a bit of piss around the loo (and sometimes all over the bathroom) in return for that?

avocadosripe Wed 17-May-17 17:38:15

Oh, I know loads of people like this! Have a baby, spend the next ten years complaining about every normal thing the child does.

SorrelSoup Wed 17-May-17 17:39:38

Because they won't be that exhausting forever and balance does return to life.

brasty Wed 17-May-17 17:41:14

avacodasripe Yes that is what I mean.
Most mothers complain and talk about the joys. These two simply complain all the time.

ZilphasHatpin Wed 17-May-17 17:42:06

But then who would we have to do the washing and cut the grass and wipe the skirting boards when the first one realises it's a trick? confused

That1950sMum Wed 17-May-17 17:45:56

Because having children is the most exhausting, frustrating, difficult thing you will ever do but it also the most wonderful and rewarding.
It is therapeutic to let off steam sometimes - especially to other Mums who feel your pain. I think it is taken as read that we all love our children and it can sound a bit wanky if you go on about the joy they bring you!

AhYerWill Wed 17-May-17 17:59:34

Because some people are just negative nellies that always have something to moan about. If they didn't have kids it'd be their job, or their partner or whatever else they wanted to moan about that day.

antimatter Wed 17-May-17 18:01:06

Are they martyrs in general?

gabsdot Wed 17-May-17 18:03:24

A lot of children aren't planned. I have a friend who planned a pregnancy but then had twins. She's found them very difficult.
Anyway even though I moan about my kids sometimes and they drive me mad, I wouldn't like to be without them.

Pigface1 Wed 17-May-17 21:58:12

Because some people are just whingers!!

Dianneabbottsmathsteacher Wed 17-May-17 22:37:09

Some people actually don't like their kids. sad it's a fact that's hard to contemplate but dome just don't

PeaFaceMcgee Wed 17-May-17 22:39:43

I think some people have more than one mainly because their partner, family and society expects it of them, I'm afraid sad

corythatwas Wed 17-May-17 22:40:30

Some people just have a habit of complaining. They don't necessarily mean a lot by it.

PeaFaceMcgee Wed 17-May-17 22:41:34

I only have one because it's fucking hard work and I don't fancy making life harder (although I love her etc)

Crispmonster1 Wed 17-May-17 22:49:06

Because we are biologically programmed to reproduce. Our minds / bodies trick us into having more!grin

pandarific Wed 17-May-17 23:14:51

In the case of one former colleague, because your life is just soooooo hard, and if you didn't, then what would you complain about?

Same person also went through a pregnancy while I worked with her. I have since worked with many utterly normal pregnant ladies - this woman drove. me. insane. Moaning, whinging, bitching, all day long, 9-6, tiny office. Her job was just sooooooo hard. Pregnancy was just sooooo hard. Being a parent was just soooooo hard. By the end I was fantasising about sticking pencils up her nose.

Most people are normal. Some people are just attention seeking moaners. You've got one of the latter ones.

Allthewaves Wed 17-May-17 23:18:20

because small people are bloody amazing - very hard work though which u don't fully appreciate until you have 3 under 5

ijustwannadance Wed 17-May-17 23:25:08

I know people who keep having babies because they don't think there is anything else to do.

fanfrickintastic Thu 18-May-17 02:27:32

I'm with peaface, but some people are bat shit and just keep going back for more punishment.

Out2pasture Thu 18-May-17 02:47:21

Because of contraceptive failure....
Because an abortion wasn't the best option
I've known a few men who have insisted on more children even when the partner was too tired and had difficulty coping...

Supersoaryflappypigeon Thu 18-May-17 06:56:32

I don't get it either op, I have 1 DD and I love her to bits but I couldn't imagine wanting more. I'm reliably informed though (by everyone I know with more than one dc) that I will change my mind grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now