Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to pay my cleaner maternity pay?

(66 Posts)
Fastfrickinforwards Wed 17-May-17 14:12:23

Have the most lovely cleaner and she has been coming to us weekly for about three years
She is pregnant with her second child and tells me she wants to come back to clean after 8 weeks as she did this with her first child at her last job she tells me
She plans to formula feed and her dh works nights so will do childcare

I was just discussing with a friend and moaning ( in a smiley way honest) about fitting in the cleaning whilst she was off, more a how much I'd miss her! and friend wondered why I wasn't getting an agency or something temporary in replacement.
I mentioned I would still be paying the cleaner as a form of mat leave so couldn't afford extra ( and it won't exactly mil me for 8 weeks!)

Friend thought this was bonkers.
Cash in hand non payroll so she shouldn't get Mat pay

Which I understand but seems harsh to me and I am very fond of her and value her work

So any experience from either side of the coin would be appreciated

I'm going to pay her as usual for 8 weeks regardless because it feels right to me but wondered whether myself or my rienfbare off the mark here?

hellomarshmallow Wed 17-May-17 14:15:48

Just because you don't have to doesn't mean you shouldn't. It's a kind thing to do to a valued, loyal person you have employed for a while. I think it's great, I wish more people thought (and acted) like you. flowers

Leavesandburies Wed 17-May-17 14:16:17

You're off the mark. But being very kind.

firawla Wed 17-May-17 14:17:00

A cleaner is self employed so you don't normally pay them maternity pay as you're not their employer, although lovely of you to keep paying her!

honeysucklejasmine Wed 17-May-17 14:17:23

You don't have to, but if you want to and can, why not?

Redglitter Wed 17-May-17 14:18:36

I think it's a lovely idea but I wouldn't. I'd get a temp cleaner in til she came back

Carollocking Wed 17-May-17 14:21:11

Lovely to see someone that respects and values there cleaner I think a very decent and good thing to do.

Whosthebestbabainalltheworld Wed 17-May-17 14:21:33

Have had similar with childminder during summer hols. We'd generally give her some sort of lump sum, which wouldn't be the total amount of what she'd have earned if she was working for us, but would probably equate to half the amount for the period she has off.

We'd be stuffed if she decided to find another job while we're in our break, so I think there's a bit of goodwill generated, as well as feeling it's only fair.

I admire you (although most responses will probably say you're mad).

ChambourcyHippopotamousse Wed 17-May-17 14:22:51

How absolutely lovely of you. I'm sure she didn't expect it but is probably extremely grateful.

harderandharder2breathe Wed 17-May-17 14:23:42

You don't have to but it's a nice thing to do, and will make the her value you as a customer.

I would however agree with her that if she decides she can't come back at 8 weeks, that's fine but you'll then get someone else in temporarily so will stop paying her til she returns to work.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 17-May-17 14:26:04

I wouldn't pay 8 weeks worth. That's a huge amount for someone paid cash in hand. I'd pay 2 probably.

snowgirl1 Wed 17-May-17 14:26:29

She's self employed and will probably be entitled to statutory maternity allowance - although I'm sure she'll be grateful for the additional 'maternity pay' from you. What happens if she changes her mind and decides to take 12 months maternity leave? Would you pay her for all of that?

Wando1986 Wed 17-May-17 14:28:42

She is entitled to claim maternity from the government OP as a self employed person.

welovepancakes Wed 17-May-17 14:29:11

I think it's a kind thing to do, but don't see the point of this thread, unless it's to show off how generous / considerate you are

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Wed 17-May-17 14:29:17

If she she's self employed she may well be claiming Maternity Allowance which is considered a benefit so you would need to be careful.

I would also be very careful that you're not creating an employer/employee relationship and all the legal obligations that go with that.

MerryMarigold Wed 17-May-17 14:35:45

I don't pay my cleaners for when I'm away and they don't come in, so I wouldn't do this. I think I'd have given her a generous 'gift' to help with the baby (£150?), but not paid her exactly 8 weeks' work. It's kind of you, but it's a lot of money which is basically a gift as you are not her employer. I work with a lot of self employed people and we don't pay them holiday pay or maternity. They are self employed.

AngelicaSchuylerChurch Wed 17-May-17 14:35:50

Presumably she is self-employed?

You are very kind but you do need to be careful. If claims Maternity Allowance then you could jeopardise her payments.

GahBuggerit Wed 17-May-17 14:43:10

well TBF its not maternity pay you're just paying her as normal for a few hours a week.

Its probably something Id automatically do after checking I wouldn't jeopardise any of her benefits/maternity allowance. I'd certainly hate to be responsible for her losing out on far more than 8 weeks pay

Justdontgetitatall Wed 17-May-17 14:43:49

It's against the law to pay cash in hand. You are risking her getting into a LOT of trouble here OP!!! We're talking custodial sentence, as it's classed as tax evasion!
She is also entitled to Stat Maternity Allowance so if she is claiming that and you pay her as well that is benefit fraud. Tread very very carefully...!!!

DanglyEarOrnaments Wed 17-May-17 14:44:55

Agree, you should be wary of being classed as her actual employer.

Cleaners are self employed and we all factor this into our rates, we know that we are not going to receive any statutory benefits or other statutory obligations employees should get (like travel time/mileage costs etc ) from our clients so we charge enough to cover our time spent on site without the holiday pay etc that employees receive. We also factor in our business expenses, travel, supplies, equipment.

When we add all these factors together this equals the 'cost of doing business' we can then work out our rate with these items factored in.

It is a kind thought and she will obviously enjoy the gift but you are under no obligation to offer this and if she is has not done the obove maths and is not charging a high enough rate to cover everything it should then she is responsible for correcting this and charging what she really needs to.

If she is charging enough (and only she knows her own figures) then she will not need or expect any additional payments other than her current rate.

SomuchSlow Wed 17-May-17 14:45:36

Assuming she is self employed she will receive maternity allowance from the government. I think your payments may interfere with these payments, however I am unsure how that works.

I would give her a money gift at the birth of the baby rather than "pay" her. I would also unsure that any money received wouldn't put her in a position where she felt she would have to return to work for you at eight weeks. A lot can change after a baby is born.

MrsGB2225 Wed 17-May-17 14:46:23

I would give some money in a card for the baby.

DoNotBlameMeIVotedRemain Wed 17-May-17 14:46:42

I agree with Merry. Give her a nice money gift when baby is born but no need to pay a self employed person for 8 weeks when she is not working.

ChambourcyHippopotamousse Wed 17-May-17 14:47:30

When the OP says 'cash in hand' I'm assuming she pays the cleaner in cash and the cleaner then sorts her own tax out as she is self employed?

disastrouslee Wed 17-May-17 14:47:35

If she's that good I'd be considering it a retainer fee.

As she's self employed I'm not sure how you need to worry about her tax arrangements. If you're in any doubt, ask her to give you invoices...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now