Talk

Advanced search

Secondhand houses

(131 Posts)
flipflap75 Wed 17-May-17 12:53:48

Read the mysterious 'service charge' thread and had a Google - I found a thread on another forum where they were discussing council service charges on freehold properties, and there were some really strong opinions about houses which weren't new builds (not necessarily old or character, just not new) e.g.

"...some people don't want someone else's seconds. It's slightly demeaning isn't it? It's second only to renting. The place may never really feel as though it is yours."

and

"...don't like the thought of using secondhand soiled goods"

I've never thought of houses like this - as something which becomes 'used' or 'secondhand'. Not trying to stir up a 'how could you possibly live in a new/old house' barney - it's all about layout and position for me. Just wondered if I'm in the minority re. this 'secondhand' view.

BorpBorpBorp Wed 17-May-17 12:57:41

I don't live in a newbuild, so I guess my house is 'used', but only in as much as the pavement outside is 'used' because someone else has walked on it before me.

Sunnydaysrock Wed 17-May-17 12:59:38

What a bizarre way to look at houses! What about cars, do you think they only ever drive brand new?

Ookmybanana Wed 17-May-17 13:00:22

I've just bought a new build but it was necessity rather than actual want. The house is fine but I'd much rather go for an older property. I know of people who only go for new builds though. Horses for courses I suppose.

IllBeAtTheSpa Wed 17-May-17 13:00:50

I live in a new house. It's actually a negative to me that no one has lived here before.
I'm not "woo" but I do think houses take on atmophere and I'm saddened (slightly) that this house is so "empty!"
Planning on selling up soon and moving to something g bigger and I'm looking at "old" houses on which I may be the 3,4,5 owner and I like the idea of it being a family home that's seen loads of family activity before us.

catmumof1 Wed 17-May-17 13:02:15

A friend of mine has/had this opinion on houses and cars, funnily enough their 'need' for 2 brand new 'untouched' cars means that they can't afford a house at all!
I'm all for second hand anything when it's going to save me money, plus new build houses are terrible in my area. Why do they build 4/5 bed houses (with tiny tiny rooms) with only one parking space?
I'll stick with my 'second hand' house with its large rooms and driveway and put in my own cheap white kitchen thanks...

SpiritedLondon Wed 17-May-17 13:02:28

I think anyone who expressed such a view was a twat.

sonjadog Wed 17-May-17 13:03:38

I agree with Spirited.

KnockedOutByMyNungaNungas Wed 17-May-17 13:03:51

My parents have a new build and it's stunning visually, all red brick and 5 bedrooms and huge driveway, but it doesn't feel homely. I lived there between 13 and 18 and then moved out to go to uni, and now live with my partner in a lovely tiny terraced house, and to me it feels so much more homely. It's got quirky Victorian fireplaces and stained glass doors, the bathroom is tiny and it's a bit cold sometimes but it's lovely. My parents on the other hand love their 'showhome' style house and furnishings and would only ever buy new builds again. People are different I guess!

flipflap75 Wed 17-May-17 13:05:27

Not just me then. The 'demeaning' comment really surprised me too. Heaven help us if houses start becoming disposable items!

GeminiRising Wed 17-May-17 13:05:39

I love older houses - they are quirky and have a good feel to them, they've been 'lived in'.

New builds are good in that the maintenance is easier, I think. but I'd rather have the older house with more character.

AnUtterIdiot Wed 17-May-17 13:07:16

Oh, what a load of nonsense. I live in a newbuild in that our house is 8 years old, and we love it, but we bought it from the original owners two years ago, so it's just as "second hand" as any other house.

NeverTooOldForAnything Wed 17-May-17 13:07:21

Our only reason for buying a new build is that we are shit at decorating, DIY etc. so moving into a house where nothing needed doing up and all the carpets, walls etc. were new was brilliant

flipflap75 Wed 17-May-17 13:07:43

I think I could happily live in either - if the layout was right. I'm not a big fan of open-plan, but if I could build my own new house, I probably would.

RockPaperCut Wed 17-May-17 13:09:01

There is a huge mark on new builds. And I hate how developers try and squeeze an ensuite into every nook when actually a large family bathroom would suffice. I'd rather old/character over new build anyday.

AnUtterIdiot Wed 17-May-17 13:10:18

I see this is going to turn into a thread about how awful and characterless newbuilds are. We got a huge amount of stick from our friends for buying a newbuild but we love ours. It's cosy, it's pretty, everything works, it's nicely laid out and it's a ten minute walk to the station. I'm sorry that not everyone loves their home as much as we love ours, but there are as many beautiful newbuilds and crap old houses out there as there are beautiful old houses and crap newbuilds.

CadnoDrwg Wed 17-May-17 13:11:12

They'd hate the Edwardian 6 bed detached houses with huge gardens around here then. I mean who'd want to live in an entirely private space in the city with mature gardens...think of all those people who have been there before shock

upperlimit Wed 17-May-17 13:11:32

Yeah, I think I could live in either but I wouldn't give up so much space for the same money just so I could say that I bought it new.

I can see the appeal of new builds for others reasons, not least because of housebuilder incentives which means you can by-pass being stuck in a chain.

Smeaton Wed 17-May-17 13:12:19

To grew up in a terrace, moved to a new build, moved back to a terrace and now live in a 60s built semi.

The new build was awful. Walls as thin as paper, rooms small and boxy, garden featureless and small etc.
The terraced houses I lived in were far superior, solidly built, no neighbour noise, long gardens with outbuildings.

If I had to choose, I'd pick the older houses over newer ones.

CadnoDrwg Wed 17-May-17 13:13:04

BTW I'd happily live in a new build or an old house but the idea that those gorgeous houses could be seen as 'second hand' is baffling!

user1488721675 Wed 17-May-17 13:13:36

What a bizarre view to have. I love older houses, ours in 150 years old so it will have seen plenty of owners over the years, we've recently sold & are looking for a bigger older house, sadly so is everyone else in the area & we keep losing out, plenty of new builds available but they don't appeal to us.

HeyHoThereYouGo657 Wed 17-May-17 13:14:08

My house is over 90 years old . . Once the biggest council estate in Europe (or UK, cannot remember for sure). Its ok though but of course age is showing in places . I am only interested in those tenants before me , don't feel living second hand (to be fair I have no idea how many were here before I exchanged with a woman)

HeyHoThereYouGo657 Wed 17-May-17 13:14:47

Interested as in nosy grin

Where would I find out , does anyone know ? Cenus records ?

ThymeLord Wed 17-May-17 13:14:57

I also agree with Spirited.

MissCherryCakeyBun Wed 17-May-17 13:15:37

Heavens 2nd hand house 😳 our was built in 1904 so slightly more than 2nd hand....this ours is only the 5th family to live there (Dh's family bought it in 1973)

People need to get a grip after all we all stay in 2nd hand hotel rooms don't we? 🤔

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now