Talk

Advanced search

Saying no to co-ed sleepovers at 13

(9 Posts)
PTFswife Wed 17-May-17 12:28:04

My 13 year old son keeps getting invited to sleepover parties where there are both girls and boys staying over. Incidentally, all the invitations come from girls. We've yet to have a co-ed sleepover party from a boy. All the kids are 12 - 14.

While I'm sure they are still innocent, they are going through puberty. I am uncomfortable with the idea of boys and girls at this age having a giant sleepover. Not sure how much parental supervision will be involved other than the parents being in the house (my child wouldn't like me popping my head in every 30 minutes to check all is ok).

Am I being a stick in the mud or would you say no to a party like this?

Allthebestnamesareused Wed 17-May-17 12:40:08

Before you say no could you speak to the parents to find out what the set up is likely to be. My son wanted to have one where the boys were going to be in his loft bedroom and the girls in a spare room on the floor below (next to my room). In the end the daytime event they were going to go to was cancelled so it fizzled out but I had assured any parents who called (funnily enough - boys parents were more concerned) that there'd be no funny business and I have no problem checking on them when I see fit (and nor do the kids). He has been to a couple at other houses.

Dianneabbottsmathsteacher Wed 17-May-17 12:41:58

Look if your teenager is going to have sex he will have sex either at yours or elsewhere.

At that age out co Ed sleepovers involved pizza delivery, lots of phone selfies and films. Really just let him go but have a serious talk about alcohol and sex.

He will get drunk at some point and he will have sec but most don't at 13. grin

With our 4 boys abs girls we told them to call if they were unsure/wanted to come home, we told them we would start by trusting them but if they let us down then the dials would be reset and they would have to earn the trust again.

It worked well generally

QuinoaKeen Wed 17-May-17 12:42:12

Yanbu. No way would I allow this.

GrapesAreMyJam Wed 17-May-17 12:43:09

I used to when I was that age. My parents always talked to me about being responsible before I left though.

Dianneabbottsmathsteacher Wed 17-May-17 12:44:12

Contrary to the press most 13 year olds sent having sex and to be fair all my dds friends aged 17/18 drink
Less alcohol than their middle aged parents

Dianneabbottsmathsteacher Wed 17-May-17 12:44:42

Sorry arnt having sex

Angelicinnocent Wed 17-May-17 12:47:20

My DC have both been to these types of parties since they were that sort of age. Only once been any sort of problem but that was the fault of the stupid mother who decided to allow them access to cans of cider. Fortunately, my DD and her best friend decided to call me, claim DD was ill and get picked up.

Dianneabbottsmathsteacher Wed 17-May-17 12:48:44

If any aren't have alcohol to my 13 year old I would rip be utterly furious and the police would take it seriously

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now