Talk

Advanced search

I never learn 'cant make it'

(10 Posts)
Wishingitwaswarm Wed 17-May-17 11:52:57

So last year I organised a trip to a festival for 6 friends.
I bought the tickets last week as they sell out quick. I contacted everyone to make​ sure they still wanted to go, which they did and i haven't seen them to collect the money
Yesterday I received a text message from one of them saying that she couldn't go and could I find someone to replace her.

AIBU to say not my problem you agreed to go - YOU find a buyer to sell YOUR tickets to - you still owe me £50.

Why do people do this. Why is it my responsibility to find a buyer for her tickets.
Really pissed off with it, as this has happened before and I ended up footing the bill. Grrrrr

Justmadeperfectflapjacks Wed 17-May-17 11:54:51

There is an mner looking for a ticket on another thread - what are the chances of the same gig I wonder?
Do such coincidences occur on here??

NataliaOsipova Wed 17-May-17 12:02:23

This drives me mad! I always end up being the organiser for things, many of which need to be booked early (say 6 months in advance). I've stopped organising a lot of things I used to just for this reason: people say they want to go, you shell out for a load of tickets. Then, if you're lucky, they pay you back at the time of the event. If you're not, they tell you 4 days before that they can't go. It's infuriating. Just sort yourself out next time is the only advice I can give.

Letmesleepalready Wed 17-May-17 12:03:48

So frustrating for you! DH is off on a stag do soon and the best man asked everyone for a non refundable deposit (about a 3rd of the total amount) to be paid before he booked anything. I think that might have to be the way to go in future?

harderandharder2breathe Wed 17-May-17 12:28:15

No help this time, but if you do agree to do this again, only do it for the people who have never let you down previously

Anyone else pays up front.

Yanbu to tell you friend that they still owe you the money and it's their responsibility to get a replacement. Why should you be out of pocket?

Dianneabbottsmathsteacher Wed 17-May-17 12:34:54

It's so rude isn't it op completely agree. They let you down they take the hit.

BertsBlanket Wed 17-May-17 12:36:15

YANBU.

I learned this lesson the hard way after booking a minibus to take a group of us to a free event. It would have been cheaper than taxis (the only other option) with the cost shared out, but suddenly almost everyone dropped out without paying, leaving me with a £350 bill.

Don't book until everyone gives you a cheque/money. You can always give the money back if you can't get the tickets.

I suggest something along the lines of "up to you if you would like to sell your ticket to a replacement, but I won't be able to fins someone for you. Please make sure the £50 is transferred to me by next week."

Picklepickle123 Wed 17-May-17 12:37:11

Extremely rude! I always ask for the money upfront and it gets rid of all the late cancellers.

FilledSoda Wed 17-May-17 12:40:52

I hope you replied exactly as you suggested.

Lweji Wed 17-May-17 12:41:11

It depends on the message and how it was phrased.

As you organised it for the group, perhaps you did know someone who was left out and did want to go. Perhaps, if you know the rest better, you could send out a message asking if the other people know anyone who would like to go.

Responsibility is still with that person, and they should pay if nobody finds anyone else to buy the ticket, but unless you don't want to be friends with this person, I'd help them a bit by passing on her request.

Has this happened with the same friend?
Why did you foot the bill at that other time?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now