Talk

Advanced search

To think this is illegal?

(38 Posts)
Beelzebop Wed 17-May-17 11:23:38

Just about to fill a job application in. It has a box asking for ages and number of children you have.
I thought this wouldn't be allowed as it may be discriminatory.
Am I wrong? Thanks!

ProudBadMum Wed 17-May-17 11:25:05

I've never had to do that.

OdinsLoveChild Wed 17-May-17 11:30:00

I thought it was only illegal if they didn't ask everybody the same question and if it was used to decide who got the job. confused

Is it a monitoring form (asks race, religion and disabilities too etc) rather than part of the actual application?

MTBMummy Wed 17-May-17 11:30:58

On an application? not an acceptance/contract?

Ive definitely had those asked on a contract, but in line with medical benefits, never on an application, I'd just leave them blank on an application

Miniwookie Wed 17-May-17 11:32:35

Leave it blank. Why would they ask for the info if they're not going to use it!

AaoograhaHoa Wed 17-May-17 11:33:27

Hmm - I believe it isn't illegal to ask about age, although it isn't best practice either.

Not sure about children - never come across it before!

Unless there is a specific reason they need the information, it seems daft - opens them up to potential claims of discrimination!

Beelzebop Wed 17-May-17 12:04:24

It's on the main form, under main information section. Seems like it would be used against you to me, having 3 kids!

Beelzebop Wed 17-May-17 12:04:47

Can we post photos?

MTBMummy Wed 17-May-17 12:13:30

you can post photos, just choose the option below the text box

MegEmski Wed 17-May-17 12:19:23

It's definitely not illegal. It's probably for monitoring, along with ethnic background tick boxes. It will be only used (should!!) to analyse who applies for which jobs, so for instance if one job attracts a higher percentage of one sex they should consider ways to market differently etc.
You don't have to tick it.

DJBaggySmalls Wed 17-May-17 12:21:18

YANBU, its illegal to ask that.

www.gov.uk/employer-preventing-discrimination/recruitment

Topas0117 Wed 17-May-17 12:37:54

It is illegal;

*Questions you can’t ask when recruiting
You must not ask candidates about ‘protected characteristics’ or whether they: are married, single or in a civil partnership
have children or plan to have children*

blackteasplease Wed 17-May-17 12:39:18

Could this be on a equal opportunities monitoring form rather than the application?

user1491572121 Wed 17-May-17 12:39:44

What job is it OP? I'm shocked! Report them!

ClarkWGriswold Wed 17-May-17 12:41:08

I work in the public sector (HE) and our applications do ask this but you don't have to answer it. Also it is only seen by HR and that part of the application is redacted for the interview panel.

Beelzebop Wed 17-May-17 12:53:45

Hello all, it's a care work post. I'm not sure it can be counted as the diversity form as it is at the start of the application form. And I can't find the thingy below the text box, not a good day.
Really beginning to feel edged out of Jobs market and this is another way!

Beelzebop Wed 17-May-17 12:54:19

Who do I report them to?

PhyllisNights Wed 17-May-17 12:56:22

It's not correct HR practice. It's against the Equality Act 2010 as someone could use that information to discriminate against you.

If it was for equality and diversity information that was for statistics, not something the hiring manager is privy to, then it's fine. However, that would not be standard practice. The information they tend to ask you for recruitment monitoring is related to gender, age, sexuality, religion, disability - not how many children you have and what ages they are!

PhyllisNights Wed 17-May-17 12:58:44

I'd email them information email address and clarify if the hiring manager is privy to that particular information.

PlymouthMaid1 Wed 17-May-17 13:00:21

Wrong to ask but of course if you don't answer then they quite possibly just won't shortlist you anyway (also wrong but what can you do?).

Scribblegirl Wed 17-May-17 13:00:41

Upon having been offered a job I've been asked that by the HR team, as a confidential disclosure, to make sure they're offering enough support for parents in the workplace.

Never before the job being offered though, and never as part of my main application.

PhyllisNights Wed 17-May-17 13:01:50

If that information is privy to the line manager when they're shortlisting, then I'd say it's time to get in contact CQC!

EmpressOfTheSpartacusOceans Wed 17-May-17 13:02:31

Beelzebop, if you're on the mobile site you use the paperclip icon to add photos. Not sure about desktop / app though.

Beelzebop Wed 17-May-17 13:05:04

OMG Who do I complain to? So angry! Just spoken to personnel there, and she laughed at me!

PhyllisNights Wed 17-May-17 13:05:17

Complain to the CQC.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now