Talk

Advanced search

Aibu to not agree to return this eBay article?

(26 Posts)
MrsHughesCarson Wed 17-May-17 11:06:23

I have just sold a men's shirt on eBay for £25
The buyer paid promptly and I posted next day. Now, he has contacted me to to say the shirt doesn't fit round the collar and he wants to send it back.
The shirt does not have the size on the label so I showed a photo with a tape measure along the collar and gave the size as 16". I also state "no returns"
AIBU to refuse to return the shirt?

Justmadeperfectflapjacks Wed 17-May-17 11:10:04

Depends if you are concerned about negative feedback. .
I personally would accept it back if they paid the postage. .
Would want to tell them to f off but prefer being a good seller!!

SilverDragonfly1 Wed 17-May-17 11:18:09

YANBU, but he will be able to return it anyway by claiming not as described so be prepared for that to happen.

MrsHughesCarson Wed 17-May-17 11:22:20

This is the photo I posted.
I didn't think about negative feedback, my rating is 100%. Will one negative review change that?

19lottie82 Wed 17-May-17 11:25:03

Has the buyer opened an official return request or just send you a message?

As long as you're a private seller you don't have to accept "non fault returns" (like this), so I'd send them a polite reply apologising, stating as a private seller you don't accept returns but tell them they are welcome to use your descriptions / photos to resell the shirt.

However if you're not willing to accept a return at this stage be prepared to run the risk of

1 - Negative Feedback

2 - the buyer opening a return request on the basis it's not as described, if they do you will have no choice but to accept the return and will have to pay for the return postage.

19lottie82 Wed 17-May-17 11:26:38

PS yes if they leave you negative feedback, you will lose your 100% status.

You MIGHT be able to get eBay to remove it if they do, but it depends how they word it and I wouldn't rely on that.

Genevieva Wed 17-May-17 11:34:39

My understanding was that under distance selling regulations the consumer has a right to return items within a fortnight of delivery, regardless of reason. They can claim a full refund on the item they bought but must pay the full cost of postage in both directions. So if you sold the shirt for £25 and charge £2.50 for postage, they will have paid you £27.50. It will then cost the a further £2.50 to return the shirt, but you only refund them £25.

I don't know whether you could also claim any money that ebay or PayPal take from the purchase price. E.g. it might be that you only received £20 of the total £27.50 paid by the buyer. Perhaps you could say that you can only refund them that amount and see what they say. If the total cost to them for returning the item is £5 postage and £5 fees then they may decide they can't be bothered to return it.

NotHotDogMum Wed 17-May-17 11:34:56

If he opens a case, eBay will find in his favour.

Accept the return (through gritted teeth) it's the easiest thing to do.

Boulshired Wed 17-May-17 11:35:31

Looking at the photo I would say that button to button hole on collar is 15.

MrsHughesCarson Wed 17-May-17 11:51:05

He sent a personal message first, but now I have also received an official request via eBay. His reason for the request is "doesn't fit" and in the comments he has put "doesn't fit of my neek" confused

GeminiRising Wed 17-May-17 12:15:51

You don't have to accept the refund - distance selling regulations do not apply to private sellers, even with the changes that took place a couple of years ago. As a seller on ebay, it only applies if you are in the 'trade' of the item you are listing - ie a shopkeeper, wholesaler or manufacturer of the items you sell.

Given that you've had a message from him saying it doesn't fit, I would contact ebay, tell them the information you put in your listing and asking them if they would uphold a 'not as described' return request. They do not always side with the buyer, I've had two go in my favour as a seller in the last 6 months. If they say they'll go with the buyer, then accept the return privately before he goes for a 'not as described' attempt. Tell the buyer that you don't accept returns for items not fitting but on this occasion as a gesture of goodwill you will do it, but he'll have to pay postage to return it as it was accurately described.

And I wouldn't be too concerned about 100% feedback - as long as it is in the upper 90's as a buyer it doesn't really bother me that much - if it's significantly lower, I'll check and see why. Having received a neg from the person who complained when I refused a return on an item that didn't fit (and you have the ability to respond to it or to request removal if they post something that isn't true) I haven't noticed any change in the amount I sell to be honest.

19lottie82 Wed 17-May-17 12:59:06

You don't need to contact eBay. Luckily he has opened a non fault claim so just reject it and include the message I suggested in my previous post.

19lottie82 Wed 17-May-17 13:00:02

Gen the 14 days to return only apples to business sellers, not private sellers like the OP.

peachgreen Wed 17-May-17 13:22:42

I think the problem is that it isn't as described, really. We can't see the button or buttonhole but it must be more like 15", mustn't it? Given it's only 16" from end to end? So I think eBay would find in his favour. Probably less hassle to just accept the return.

mikeyssister Wed 17-May-17 14:01:24

Definitely isn't a size 16, and that's obvious from the photo. However, because you said in the post that it's a 16 Ebay will find against you. You can't rely on your no returns policy if you post false information.

lougle Wed 17-May-17 15:18:10

Oh, tricky. I can see why you thought it was 16", but as other posters say, the fastening isn't included in the measurement, only the material, so I agree that it's actually a 15". I think if you'd have measured it done up you would have seen that because the loop and the button overlap.

MrsHughesCarson Wed 17-May-17 16:02:10

Ok, thanks for all this info. I think it will be easier to accept the return and just to ask him to pay the postal charge. I found it strange that there was no size on the label as all the similar shirts on auction had the size on the top left of the label. I have got quite a few more to sell so maybe I'll list them as 15" collar size.

MrsHughesCarson Wed 17-May-17 16:11:40

I have just seen the message in my eBay account as follows :

*The buyer requested a return although you don't have to accept a return for this item.
Please take action by 25 May.
If you prefer you can automatically approve the return or issue refunds based on specific conditions.*

Then I have the option of a full or partial refund or a refusal.

mikeyssister Wed 17-May-17 17:02:37

Don't put the size in the description in future, just the photo with the tape measure.

MrsHughesCarson Wed 17-May-17 17:19:46

I think I tried that Mikeyssister and it wasn't possible.
If I accept the return do I wait until he sends me the shirt back before I do the refund or do I have to do the refund first?

GeminiRising Thu 18-May-17 17:08:32

Do not refund until you get the item back!

MrsHughesCarson Wed 24-May-17 19:58:56

I agreed to accept the return and said I would reimburse the selling price of the shirt minus any postage costs -£23. The buyer has returned the shirt to me, so how do I now do a partial reimbursement. I have a suspended/blocked payment in my PayPal account for £25 but wish only to reimburse £23.
Thanks for your help,
God, if I had known it was going to be so complicated I wouldn't have bothered.

RoganJosh Wed 24-May-17 20:00:58

If you hit 'refund' it'll ask you how much you want to refund.

RoganJosh Wed 24-May-17 20:01:51

www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/How-do-I-issue-a-full-or-partial-refund-FAQ780

Auspiciouspanda Wed 24-May-17 20:02:32

You sold the shirt not as described so you should cover the postage costs and eBay will give them a full refund if you don't

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now