Talk

Advanced search

Enough food for party?

(12 Posts)
CobGobber Wed 17-May-17 10:41:51

Throwing a party with the following numbers...

35-39 adults
3 older children (10-15)
3 toddlers
4-6 babies (around 10-12 months)

I am worried we don't plan to have enough food! DH insisting IABU and it is more than enough. Party covers lunchtime and will last a couple of hours. I dread people being hungry.

We are providing:
60 quarter triangle sandwiches in various flavours
Sliced French stick x 2
Sausage rolls
Savoury Scones
Cous cous salad
Pasta salad
Potato salad
Coleslaw
Cheese & crackers & fruit
Pizza (cold slices)
Dip and crudites
Crisps
Additional for the smaller children/babies
24 crustless sandwiches
Mini savoury scones
Individual cheeses
Breadsticks
Crudites
Fruit (satsumas)

There will also be cake!

AIBU to worry that people will go hungry? grin

BitchPeas Wed 17-May-17 10:45:27

Could you get an extra French stick and a couple of patès? And make sure you have some soft cheeses on the cheese board people can spread. Otherwise I think it's enough!

UrethaFranklin Wed 17-May-17 10:49:58

I'm not sure about the sandwiches tbh, 60 quarters isn't even 2 each. Saying that, 24 sandwiches for the toddlers and babies seems like loads!

sparkli Wed 17-May-17 10:59:20

You can assume the older kids will eat adult sized portions, so that's just 1 quarter of a sandwich each for the adults. I think you need at least double that. Also maybe add in some more finger foods, such as chicken bites, mini kebabs etc.

Glitterywillows Wed 17-May-17 11:00:20

I would do more sandwiches. Mabie 120 the rest sounds great and also I like the idea that you have especially catered for the younger children. smile

WaitingYetAgain Wed 17-May-17 11:02:39

YANBU - it seems so hard to guess!

Your menu is quite carb heavy, I'd get rid of the scones and add a big green salad and some sliced cold meat or hard boiled eggs or a couple of quiches or something else protein-wise.

Olives might be nice to add too if you think people would eat them or some other antipasti type things to add flavour/colour to the plate and would go well with the cheese/crackers/French stick.

Also the sandwiches - if all the adults attend and you add the older children to the mix, then say 3/4 of those people eat a full sandwich (4 quarters) that would be 126 quarters. Most people tend to eat a bit more at a buffet than normal, so I'd probably increase your quota to at least 90 quarters. You don't need so many sandwiches for the little ones, surely?

ILookedintheWater Wed 17-May-17 11:08:00

sandwiches,
bread, salads.
sausage rolls, pizza,
cheese and crackers.

Have you missed something off the list? Is there anything for the salads and bread to accompany? A dish of lasagne or some cold meat or something?

CobGobber Wed 17-May-17 11:26:31

See! I didn't think it was enough! shock
We are buying sandwiches in plates of 30, so I think we need at least one more. No one else (DH or family) agrees with me though hmm. Regarding the kids sandwiches the size the platter (bought) is 24, which I know is probably OTT, but would rather over cater, than under. Plus they are small crustless sarnies.

Pate to go with the French stick, along with some soft cheese, sounds sensible at least.

A relative is making the scones and would be offended if I said not to bother, so we will stick with those. Plus carb heavy sounds good to me, it's a party not a health spa!

I wanted to do a ham, but got talked out of it!

ILookedintheWater Thu 18-May-17 15:22:01

ham! ham! ham! ham! ham!

^^^a note for your DH^^^

..carb heavy is good for me too grin but it's mostly accompaniments and no 'main bit'.

KoalaDownUnder Thu 18-May-17 15:26:55

Could you do mini quiches instead of more sandwiches? Bit more protein-y and filling, maybe?

ExPresidents Thu 18-May-17 15:31:15

Definitely do a ham!

LadyPW Thu 18-May-17 15:41:35

How many sausage rolls? How many pizza slices etc? If you're offering 2 tiny sarnies and one bite of a slice of pizza plus a few flakes of a sausage roll & a sniff of a scone it's not enough. If it's two sarnies plus a couple of sausage rolls & 2 scones & 3 slices of pizza etc. then you may be overthinking it....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now