Talk

Advanced search

Ear infection DD

(7 Posts)
whyIsARavenLikeAWritingDesk Wed 17-May-17 09:27:13

I had my DD(5 months) at the doctors last week who told me she had a slight ear infection! That was it no advice on what to do for it at all!
They were running 40mins late on appointments when I arrived and ours felt very rushed as if doctor wanted us out for next patient so in this rush plus 'baby brain' I didn't think to ask!
Should I ring back for another appointment for antibiotics? It's obviously not getting better on its own and last night poor DD was thrashing around in her sleep and grabbing at her ear
Advice please

bookwormnerd Wed 17-May-17 09:32:59

They dont always give antibiotics as want to see if get better on own if not bad. If your dd is still feeling ill I would take her back in so they can check. My son gets alot of ear infections and perferated ear drum and nothing seems to soothe it much. We do calpol and make sure no water gets in ear. My little boy had problems all winter but dr said there is nothing much you can do other than antibiotics when they have them

bookwormnerd Wed 17-May-17 09:34:11

Hope your daughter feels better soon. Its so horrible seeing little ones in pain

sexymuthafunker Wed 17-May-17 09:35:08

My DD gets these all the time. Yes call docs back she needs antiBs.
Give her calpol if you can and even baby ibuprofen if not too young (?)
Don't put anything in her ear & keep it dry (I.e: don't put her head in the bath)
Lots of cuddles. My DD finds it helpful if I put my hand over the bad ear when she's trying to sleep - keeping it warm.
Hope she gets better soon.

PoliticalBiscuit Wed 17-May-17 09:36:38

Common foe babies to get sore ears or throats etc they don't always need antibiotics, but I agree with above if she's not improving she needs to go back to GP. You can give her some Calpol or Nurofen in meantime.

Spikeyball Wed 17-May-17 09:37:49

They usually leave it a few days because many will get better by themselves but I would go back if it is still not getting better. In the meantime give capol.

MoonDuke Wed 17-May-17 09:38:30

Advil works better than calpol I've found.

We've always been given antibiotics immediately (not U.K.) so can't advise there. Sorry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now