Talk

Advanced search

To be quite scared

(10 Posts)
DerelictWreck Tue 16-May-17 22:54:51

Got home tonight after walking from the bus stop to find my road was cordoned off with police tape.

Spoke with lone police officer at the tape barrier to say that I lived on the road and needed to get to my flat. After working out where it was on the street (the middle) he decided I needed to walk around to the other end for access.

Did this, and was met with another tape barrier at the other end. Spoke to other police officer and explained where I lived. He assessed where flat was (lots of pointing and gesturing to show him roughly where) and decided I could come in this side, but only after giving him all my details.

He instructed me to walk only on one side of the road, and to go straight into the building. I asked if I needed to be concerned, and he hesitated and just said to go straight in as their had been an assault. Walked up to by building to see more tape there (on the pavement outside) and a police car parked in the middle of the road outside.

That about 2 hours ago, I'm in the flat and the car is still outside with the tape barriers still up. Just feeling a bit apprehensive really as I only moved here about a month ago and this was my second interaction with the police (following me witnessing a taxi driver get attacked in a road-rage episode outside the building last week) confused

I suppose I just want a little reassurance that sometimes these things happen on 'good' and safeish roads too? I'm in North London if that matters.

BeBeatrix Tue 16-May-17 23:01:34

There were three murders in my village in the 70s and 80s. One was a baby put in the freezer by a babysitter, one was an old man stabbed in his flat, the third was a husband murdering his wife after finding out about an affair.

I live in a safe part of one of the safest counties in the country. Those 3 were all within 5 minutes walk (1/3 mile) of my home, in a very desirable, safe and overpriced area.

Nowhere is immune from occasional violence.

Worried83 Tue 16-May-17 23:07:03

Where I live little shit's on mopeds are terrorising people at moment. By running people off the road, mugging people, you name it.

The trouble is the police ain't allowed to chase them as they don't wear helmets, and they no that.

Worried83 Tue 16-May-17 23:07:25

*know

harderandharder2breathe Tue 16-May-17 23:07:32

My friend lives on a well to do estate in a very middle class town, they had a spate of burglaries a couple of years ago (the estate not my friend). So yes it does happen in naice places too!

Crunchymum Tue 16-May-17 23:08:17

So there were 2 police officers?

Can't see it being anything major as the road would have been full of police.

I'm North London too. In a naice part although not immune from crime. I had my bag snatched on a road where every house is £1m + shock (don't live on that road myself. Although not far away!)

ShoesHaveSouls Tue 16-May-17 23:08:25

There was a murder in our village about 5 years ago. It wasn't anyone I knew, and the person didn't live in the village. It was very distressing, and it was exactly as you described - they cordoned off the road (main Rd through the village) and we had to go around. Later on that day, a police woman knocked on the door, to reassure us that we were not in any danger, and it was a domestic murder. sad A man had murdered his girlfriend. sad It really does shake you up.

TwatteryFlowers Tue 16-May-17 23:15:15

When I moved in to my last house, the very first Friday night there, what seemed like every teen in the area congregated outside my garden and had a massive brawl. Seriously, there were actually hundreds of them. The police were called and came in several riot vans and took quite a while to restore order. I wondered what on earth I'd let myself in for but, although the area had its problems, nothing like that ever happened again in the 6 years I lived there.

ineedamoreadultieradult Tue 16-May-17 23:15:48

One police officer at either end of the road and one police car. They are just there to preserve evidence until someone comes and tells them not to bother i.e the assault wasnt serious or all the forensic guys turn up. The fact nothing has happened for a long time means they arent that concerned re evidence etc so probably not a serious assault. They will probably stand around bored for a while then eventually rip down their tape and leave.

DoesHeWantToOrNot Tue 16-May-17 23:17:34

There was a murder in my block of flats the other month 2 floors above me.

I hate living here but no money to move.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now