Talk

Advanced search

To expect my partner to be excited for me getting good news?

(15 Posts)
CroissantwithCheese Tue 16-May-17 22:01:30

I just landed my first job since having a baby. I worked hard to get it and am over the moon that I did. I really wanted this job and think it's perfect for me right now. When I told my partner he just said "cool" as if I just told him we were having curry for dinner. AIBU to expect my partner to express something a little more than this, considering he knows how much I wanted it? Or is this being overly needy to ask for validation from him - even though he is the closest person to me?

PeaFaceMcgee Tue 16-May-17 22:02:53

Yanbu. Is he not happy you're going back to work?

Jaaaaaaam Tue 16-May-17 22:03:18

YANBU. Did he know how much you wanted it?

PeaFaceMcgee Tue 16-May-17 22:03:39

And congratulations and well done btw flowers

Jaaaaaaam Tue 16-May-17 22:04:35

Oh yes, congratulations!

CroissantwithCheese Tue 16-May-17 22:05:36

If he's unhappy he hasn't said anything. I've been off a year already so it's not like I'm rushing back mere weeks after giving birth. He knows I've wanted to get back working for ages and I worked hard to get this job. I just thought he'd be happier for me.

Jaaaaaaam Tue 16-May-17 22:07:57

Well he is definitely BU.

CroissantwithCheese Tue 16-May-17 22:08:16

Yes he knew how much I wanted it, he even told me I was obsessed with it the other day.I put my all into a presentation at the weekend for it and was worried afterwards that it might not be good enough.

And thank you for the flowers, I need to hear that!

SunshineBelle Tue 16-May-17 22:09:41

Yanbu and congratulations!

Why do you think he feels this way?

CroissantwithCheese Tue 16-May-17 22:13:57

I don't know. Sometimes I think he has no empathy to be honest. He doesn't seem to understand emotional needs

Beelzebop Tue 16-May-17 22:16:39

Well done! It's a nightmare getting back to work. Maybe he's not very expressive?

CroissantwithCheese Tue 16-May-17 22:20:32

He's not, you're right. But I often end up feeling disappointed by a lack of support, and I don't think he gets it

Jaaaaaaam Tue 16-May-17 23:28:47

Have you heard of the love languages? It may be that you express feelings differently. If it isn't that then it is an issue.

Jaaaaaaam Tue 16-May-17 23:29:32

Sounds a bit shit if you feel unsupported though flowers

Shwangalangadingdong Tue 16-May-17 23:30:45

He's a dick. Well done and make sure your wages get paid into your personal bank account !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now