Talk

Advanced search

No MOT on husbands car

(68 Posts)
Dinnerisburnt Tue 16-May-17 21:01:20

Advice please as I don't know what to do. My DH's car's MOT has expired, he booked it in today and it failed, the garage are fixing the faults later this week and then it will pass (hopefully). Tomorrow he is due to make an overnight trip and wants to take my car. Which will leave me with his. I'll have to do the school run etc in it as we live too far from school to walk and no public transport available. He said he will take whichever car I want him to, I feel like I'm being unreasonable asking him to take his. I maintain my car, I clean it, fill it up with fuel, get it fixed when broken, arrange the service, MOT blah blah blah. Would you let him take yours and risk driving his?

PigletWasPoohsFriend Tue 16-May-17 21:02:51

I wouldn't be letting anyone drive a car that wasn't MOT'd.

It could very well invalidate your insurance for starters.

Almostfifty Tue 16-May-17 21:03:28

Get a taxi.

BritInUS1 Tue 16-May-17 21:04:14

You're only allowed to drive your car when its MOT has expired if you've booked an MOT and are driving to the test centre.

PenguinOfDoom Tue 16-May-17 21:04:20

It doesn't invalidate your insurance.

Gillian1980 Tue 16-May-17 21:04:35

I wouldn't agree to either of us driving it.

Can you drop him at a train station at all? Or get a hire car?

Any other parents from the school who may be able to help with the school run.

Foffyouwanker Tue 16-May-17 21:04:41

No. He can take his. If it's not safe why should you take the children in it??? Or he can get a train, or hire a car. Also if you're stopped in an illegal car you will get the fine, not him.
His car, his problem!

Ashgr0ve Tue 16-May-17 21:04:46

Honestly, no. He made his bed. Not a chance I would take my kids in an unsafe car because he didn't care for it.

He needs to arrange alternative transport.

Pepperedpig Tue 16-May-17 21:05:01

You can't drive a car without an mot. Could your Husband hire a car for his trip?

Movingtobucks Tue 16-May-17 21:05:05

Obviously, neither of you take the car without an MOT. The one that needs your car most takes it, the other uses a combination of taxi/public transport.

PaintingByNumbers Tue 16-May-17 21:05:12

taxi, lift off friend, walk anyway or day off school
driving an mot fail? no

PastysPrincess Tue 16-May-17 21:05:19

Yep, get a taxi.

SantanicoPandemonium Tue 16-May-17 21:06:11

My insurance wouldn't cover me to drive a car without an mot. It's not worth the risk.

PaintingByNumbers Tue 16-May-17 21:06:40

or your dh gets taxi, bus,walks, or hires car. still a no to the mot fail

Sprinklestar Tue 16-May-17 21:09:12

You drive your car, he hires a car.

Coldilox Tue 16-May-17 21:09:18

It is illegal to drive a car that is not roadworthy. It may also invalidate your insurance. Neither of you should drive it.

Dinnerisburnt Tue 16-May-17 21:09:26

I could get the kids to school via a friend, pick up will be much more difficult and it leaves me stuck at home during the day with no car. It really fucks me off that he doesn't do anything to maintain my car, and now wants to borrow it as he hasn't organised himself. Public transport for him isn't an option unfortunately. Neither is cancelling the trip.

PenguinOfDoom Tue 16-May-17 21:09:29

Sorry, meant to post this link:

www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/after-the-test

I wouldn't risk it. He should make alternative arrangements.

Creampastry Tue 16-May-17 21:14:38

No MOT... no insurance! Unless you are driving for a prearranged MOT.

Dinnerisburnt Tue 16-May-17 21:15:40

Thanks Penguin, very useful.

Wolfiefan Tue 16-May-17 21:16:19

No MOT. No driving the car unless to an appointment for an MOT.
It's his car. He has to cancel the trip or make other travel arrangements.

Mamabear14 Tue 16-May-17 21:18:25

He will have to hire a car. There is no way you should be considering driving a car with no mot, let alone with children in.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Tue 16-May-17 21:20:43

just tell him NO!

you have a whole month to organise an MOT, (do it in month 12 an they will date it for the 12 month following the original expiry date) so you do not lose out

he cannot have your car because he left it till the last minute, expecting you and the children to go without because of his shortcomings is selfish.
Is this standard behaviour for him?

He'll have to get public transport or a hire car. ....what a twat!

PeaFaceMcgee Tue 16-May-17 21:22:36

No MOT = no valid insurance + therefore it must be kept off the highway & SORN'd (unless onsite at car garage I think). All the above if caught can lead to massive fines.

PeaFaceMcgee Tue 16-May-17 21:24:54

His car, his mess. Don't you dare give him yours!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now