Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to want to keep the bath...?

(23 Posts)
Crowdblundering Tue 16-May-17 20:02:02

4 bed house 2 bathrooms (one is an en suite shower/toilet room in the attic) and main family bathroom containing shower in the bath.

We have 6 kids aged 22 - 10 (so not all here all the time).

We will at some point be redoing our bathroom and OH keeps nagging about getting rid of the bath (as bathroom is small so he wants a wet room but having a small bathroom doesn't especially bother me as all you do in there is wash etc?) - we redid too bathroom last year so no wet room up there.

No one ever really has a bath but I don't want to get rid of it because I suspect we will need to replace it if we sell in the future, visiting family/visitors might want one, it's good for washing large items out (tiny garden too with no outside tap) and we will potentially have grandchildren before we are likely to sell, it just doesn't feel "right" to not have a bath (I will occasionally have one if my back bad).

AIBU?

MrsJamesMathews Tue 16-May-17 20:08:14

Don't do it. My DPs have a tiny bathroom but not at all impossible to fit one of those short baths in to (and we are all short people anyway). When they did their bathroom about 25 years ago DF persuaded DM to get rid of the bath.

Cue DF spending the next 25 years telling anyone who will listen how many years it's been since she's had a bath. Coming around ours every few years to get her bath fix.

It's unreasonable to get rid of the bath imo. It's not like you're deciding shower or bath. Sometimes, you just feel like a bath.

Izzabellasasperella Tue 16-May-17 20:08:34

I would keep it. I do love an occasional bath.

19lottie82 Tue 16-May-17 20:09:22

I got rid of my bath and don't regret it but I wanted to. If you don't want to don't let your DH persuade you!

Crowdblundering Tue 16-May-17 20:09:26

grin ahh that's funny - I will warn OH I will spend the next 25 years lamenting and nagging him about it grin

DarthMaiden Tue 16-May-17 20:13:11

Not having a bath will impact a properties value.

It's not an issue if you have no interest in selling - but if the bathroom is small the assumption will be you can't get a bath in - not that you chose not to.

I'd also caution against a wet room. I have one and it drives me bonkers.

Honestly - spend the money on a decent large shower cubicle or better still a really lovely over bath shower with a glass screen.

DarthMaiden Tue 16-May-17 20:16:58

I'd go for something like this
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=shower+bath&client=safari&hl=en-gb&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjfp-vEjXTAhUsBMAKHcOO_DkMQ_AUICigC&biw=414&bih=628#imgrc=6Gi4noUpUliGhM:

WhenSheWasBadSheWasHorrid Tue 16-May-17 20:19:42

I love baths. Would never get rid of mine.

Crowdblundering Tue 16-May-17 20:20:04

That's really nice actually and the shower on the other wall is a great idea (as the kids often turn it into a fucking wet room with the shower on the wall above the taps - not sure the jutting out bit would accommodate the loo but maybe.

DarthMaiden Tue 16-May-17 20:20:58

http://www.drench.co.uk/lily-heavy-duty-1700-shower-bath

Try again....

DarthMaiden Tue 16-May-17 20:23:06

Lots of styles like this - curved etc

Just google "shower baths" and go to images.

Loads to look at. You could have a rainforest shower in the ceiling for example.

Loads of options.

Crowdblundering Tue 16-May-17 20:24:32

Ooh a rainforest shower sounds lush grin

Redglitter Tue 16-May-17 20:29:14

Getting rid of my bath is definitely on my to do list. I hate baths. I'd far rather have a good sized walk in shower

Birdsgottaf1y Tue 16-May-17 20:32:50

I've been seriously ill for just over a year, having a bath has helped my mobility and I couldn't have stood in a shower. So I wouldn't be without one.

My DD outright rejected any house without a bath, unless the price allowed for the fitting of one.

My GC went through a stage of being scared of the shower, when on holiday we had to bath her in the sink. She loves to play in the bath.

So personally, I wouldn't, especially as you get older.

NoSquirrels Tue 16-May-17 20:36:58

We had a tiny bathroom in a flat, and had a short bath, with the (decent) shower the opposite end to the taps. Much nicer than banging your legs on the taps all the time.

Frillyhorseyknickers Tue 16-May-17 20:42:12

Removing the only bath from a 4bed family house will devalue it to a certain extent - just something to bear in mind.

Personally, at 21 weeks preggers, I would rather lose my DH than my bath - it's the only pleasure pregnancy affords me!!

Crowdblundering Tue 16-May-17 20:44:14

Frilly that's exactly what I think (I am not pregnant though! grin).

BoomBoomsCousin Tue 16-May-17 20:57:43

We got rid of the bath in favour of a walk in shower and I love it. Was a bit of pain with small children, but that was over fairly fast and now every morning is better than with an over bath shower! Every real estate agent I've ever talked to has sucked in sharply when I've mentioned it. So we'll probably put it back in when we sell. Still, that will be maybe a thousand quid. Which for 10+ years of walk in showers is well worth it to me.

Crowdblundering Tue 16-May-17 21:10:29

Boom I guess that is a good way of looking at it.

12 yr old DSD wets the bed still so the bath also comes in handy for that sad

PinkSparklyPussyCat Tue 16-May-17 21:17:07

I would do it. I hate our bath and wish we could afford to get rid and have a shower instead. We've got a shower bath and glass screen and I so regret spending the money on them.

MrsEricBana Tue 16-May-17 21:27:29

Yes no bath in family house would damage its resale potential but no issue if you have no intention to move. We have recently redone bathroom and I prefer to wash hair over bath even though I don't use for bathing.

AgathaMystery Tue 16-May-17 21:28:29

No bath in our house - huge walk in double headed shower and our DC have never known this house with a bath in - have been showering them since they came home from hospital!

No regrets either.

WicksEnd Tue 16-May-17 22:07:28

There is a compromise to be had op with regards to a wet room & small bathroom. This is similar to ours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now