Talk

Advanced search

Re scrunched up clothes in nursery bag

(81 Posts)
chunkychicken1 Tue 16-May-17 19:56:19

Ok please tell me if I'm being unreasonable to find this irritating or if I'm expecting too much from the nursery (I realise this is a minor issue in the scheme of things!!)

DD(3) will go into nursery wearing a Tshirt and cardy or jumper so she has a layer to remove if she gets hot running around. Without fail, every day she is at nursery, said cardy is scrunched into a tight ball by the nursery staff and shoved in her bag. I've seen them do it before my very eyes...

It has often only been worn for a hour or two but cannot be worn again without ironing as it comes out looking like a rag (I'm not being precious about this; I don't iron most things if they dry reasonably smooth from the wash. My standards are not that high)

AIBU to find this really annoying?! More often than not they get chucked into the laundry bin despite not being dirty

paxillin Tue 16-May-17 19:58:55

Be glad it comes back, thanks to their put-it-straight-the-bag-routine. Shake it and put it on again, it'll be fine.

Lapinlapin Tue 16-May-17 20:00:02

Annoying, but yes I'm afraid yabu to expect nursery to fold your dd's clothes. Obviously yanbu to find it annoying, but nursery staff are probably too busy to be precious about clothes.

And anyway, I always washed everything after a nursery day. I found my dc came home smelling of that particular nursery smell...

chunkychicken1 Tue 16-May-17 20:01:42

Yes I'm pleased it comes back...but it's honestly not fine to wear-it's completely crumpled having been squished in there most of the day. I wish they would just fold it over rather than screw it up...surely not much more effort?!

MsQueenie Tue 16-May-17 20:01:49

Yep! At least they put it in the bag.
I've lost weeks looking for my daughter's shoes, card I'd and knickers!!

DarthMaiden Tue 16-May-17 20:02:26

Your expectations are too high I'm afraid.

I learned early on only to send DS to nursery in cheap semi disposable clothing.

Anything that needed ironing was simply not going to survive.

BillywigSting Tue 16-May-17 20:03:23

Do you have a tumble dryer? Five
minutes in there should make it wearable again.

Agree it's not really a big thing but I'd be irritated too op.

Have you asked them not to scrunch it up when you've seen them do it? I don't think it's too much to ask of them really to at least attempt to not screw up her clothes in a ball.

isthistoonosy Tue 16-May-17 20:03:58

Yh YABU. I'm just happy if clothes come home. I only use cheap school uniform jumpers for my 3 yr old, and scrunched or not they go back on for a 2nd, 3rd morning as I know it will only be on an hr or so anyway.

hockityponktas Tue 16-May-17 20:04:15

Yabvu it's not a big deal.

CurlsLDN Tue 16-May-17 20:04:23

Yes your expectations are too high.

Could you send her in some clothes more appropriate for the rough and tumble of nursery, e.g. A hoody?

elevenclips Tue 16-May-17 20:05:19

I'm afraid yabu
If your 3yo has clothes that need ironing you should chuck them out
All small children's clothes should be practical to wear and wash

3boys3dogshelp Tue 16-May-17 20:06:04

Is her bag big enough? If the bag was bigger the clothes wouldn't need to be squished in. I don't expect they have time to neatly fold clothes that probably need washing in most cases anyway my 3 year old has never managed two wears out of anything.

chunkychicken1 Tue 16-May-17 20:06:30

Ok so I'm clearly expecting too much 😊

Just to be clear that these are not 'nice' or expensive clothes, or clothes I don't want ruined... I wouldn't bat an eyelid if they came home covered in paint, I just find it annoying that they need tending to despite being perfectly clean!

chunkychicken1 Tue 16-May-17 20:07:56

Doesn't any cotton jumper or cardi crease when you screw it in a ball and leave it like that all day?! It's def not the case that the clothes are not appropriate for nursery, believe me!

chunkychicken1 Tue 16-May-17 20:09:35

Curls, she does wear a hoody quite often...same thing happens

I suppose i can't see how much harder it is to fold it over or roll it or something...

ChickenBhuna Tue 16-May-17 20:09:38

Working in an early years setting is like herding cats all day long. It's unlikely staff have time to neatly fold kids' clothing.

keeping thirty kids' clothing in the right bag is admirable in itself!

minipie Tue 16-May-17 20:09:53

What kind of cardigan crumples so badly? confused DD's knitted cardis and hoodies will uncrumple if you give them a shake - enough to be worn again anyway.

I think I'd see this as a sign the nursery is warm and she doesn't need a cardi. If you want her to have one fold it and put it in her bag rather than on her.

paxillin Tue 16-May-17 20:10:27

Just give it a shake, an hour in a crumpled cardi is fine.

CinderellasBroom Tue 16-May-17 20:10:27

Let her wear it creased! No one will care (possibly apart from you, but you'll get the knack of not caring soon enough) grin

Lapinlapin Tue 16-May-17 20:10:55

Cardis do, but try something like some of the hoodies they do in h+m for kids. Cheap and they don't seem to crease too much.

minipie Tue 16-May-17 20:11:16

Honestly it may look very crumpled but with a good shake and within 5 mins of being back on her, the creases will fall out

KeiraKnightleyActsWithHerTeeth Tue 16-May-17 20:11:52

You are expecting waaaaaay too much I'm afraid. If they don't immediately shove it in the bag it would never make it back.

Instasista Tue 16-May-17 20:12:29

Yes too high. Put her in clothes that don't screw up maybe? Our wet or dirty clothes come balled up in a nappy bag- I don't care. They're looking after my babies and they're massively important women

Wolfiefan Tue 16-May-17 20:12:42

Hahahahaha. Spend a day volunteering in the nursery. Feed and clean and entertain and supervise and teach and etc etc the seemingly hordes of loud small children with poor impulse control and leaking bodily fluids.
Then see if you care about folding a cardy!grin

FurryLittleTwerp Tue 16-May-17 20:12:50

You don't have to fold things to keep them reasonably neat - just bending it in half & pushing it into the bag rather than screwing & stuffing would be easy enough.

If she takes the cardigan off every day, why not send her without one? Perhaps longer sleeves on the "underneath" top?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now