Talk

Advanced search

To be annoyed at this anniversary comment

(76 Posts)
TheExtraGuineaPig Tue 16-May-17 18:44:31

My stepmother (married my dad when I was in my 30s) has updated her Facebook status to say "thanks everyone for our anniversary messages. Not one". I'm fairly annoyed (have kept it light hearted and said Happy Anniversary) as it can only be aimed at a few people - she has no kids and my Dad has two of us.

Aibu to be annoyed? Are you supposed to remember other people's anniversaries? I guess if it was both parents I might be in the habit!

jarhead123 Tue 16-May-17 18:46:07

I don't know. In my family, yes we do acknowledge close family wedding anniversaries (my parents, brothers etc) but I know lots don't.

It's obviously important to her/them

Fruitcorner123 Tue 16-May-17 18:47:38

I hate Facebook! That's the kind of message a stroppy teenager would send to her friends. I don't know my dad and wife's anniversary and I am sure they don't care. Our parents usually remember ours but that's it. Surely an anniversary is really just for the two people involved.

GeekyWombat Tue 16-May-17 18:47:53

I think only the person you're married to has any responsibility to remember the anniversary. Surely?!

zzzzz Tue 16-May-17 18:49:15

grin does she know when yours are?

I'd be tempted to have anniversaries weekly if not hourly, but then I think she is behaving like an immature twit.

iklboo Tue 16-May-17 18:50:20

Is it a 'big' anniversary?

ImperialBlether Tue 16-May-17 18:51:07

Has she ever wished you or your sibling a happy anniversary?

Dozer Tue 16-May-17 18:51:27

She was being a dick.

TheExtraGuineaPig Tue 16-May-17 18:51:54

It's 9 years... and she's in her late 50s - did seem really immature to me but then I thought - maybe I'm out of step and you "should" remember!

StillDrivingMeBonkers Tue 16-May-17 18:52:11

People remember anniversaries?

ny20005 Tue 16-May-17 18:52:19

I suppose it depends on the family. As kids we always have my parents an anniversary card but my dh barely knows when his parents Anniversary is (it's only me that's remembered they have a big one this year)

My mum sends us a card every year but my siblings don't & I don't always acknowledge there's (sometimes text on the day if I remember

My dh says Anniversary is for the couple only

Sandsnake Tue 16-May-17 18:52:22

She's a dick.

The public Facebook comment alone reveals that.

TowerRavenSeven Tue 16-May-17 18:53:38

My parents are dead and dh's are not very pleasant. We never ever get a card or message from them (We've been married 17 years) and dh can't be arsed for them. I sometimes send one depending on my mood but not always.

AroseforEmily Tue 16-May-17 18:54:32

The only people our anniversary is important to is us. I vaguely know when other family members were married but that's it.

Allabitmuchisntit Tue 16-May-17 18:55:21

How embarrassing for her that she's chosen that as a status update.

I second the "fucking facebook" sentiment.

Oh and she sounds like a right self involved attention seeker. If that's all she's got to be pissed off about today, then she needs to thank her lucky stars.

HildaOg Tue 16-May-17 18:56:13

That type of comment would annoy me, I would completely ignore the attention she's looking for. A lot of people don't even remember their own anniversaries, who remembers other peoples... Well I don't.

iklboo Tue 16-May-17 18:56:53

I'd be tempted to buy her a bag of haribo dummies next time you go round as an anniversary present grin

Smitff Tue 16-May-17 18:56:55

Literally the only people who remember my and Dh's anniversaries are our mothers. We always forget!

gamerchick Tue 16-May-17 18:58:25

I only think of my own, are we supposed to remember other people's?

TheExtraGuineaPig Tue 16-May-17 18:58:34

Laughing at the Haribo dummies... and yes she is a dick.. not as aggressive as that Facebook post but quite maudlin and often drinking. I think it's made me sad rather than cross

Allabitmuchisntit Tue 16-May-17 19:00:09

Well don't let it make you sad!

But by God, you better make a fuss when you next have an anniversary!

JudeeLevinson Tue 16-May-17 19:00:26

Drama or what? I got married a little over a year ago and nobody remembered. Wasn't expecting it. Most of my mates can't look after a houseplant let alone remember my anniversary. Who remembers a 9 year anniversary? And who has a meltdown about it on Facebook. Facebook is wank, ditched it 3 months ago and feel like a new woman.

She sounds like a right arsehole to be fair. Poor you.

SiouxieQ Tue 16-May-17 19:06:10

We can't remember our own fgs so no other fucker has a chance of us remembering theirs.

Pigface1 Tue 16-May-17 19:07:51

I don't even understand her comment, it's stupid. YANBU.

SaorAlbaGuBrath Tue 16-May-17 19:08:41

I generally say happy anniversary to my mum and dad, and only on the "big" ones (15, 20, 25 and so on) tend to get a card and make a fuss. I took them out for a meal for their silver wedding, and their 30th and 35th. But I hate hate hate passive aggressive facebook statuses looking for attention, they do my box in!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now