Talk

Advanced search

To be pissed off at Facebook for showing all my friends when I was last on?

(28 Posts)
ahatlikeprincessmarina Tue 16-May-17 18:27:32

It does my head in that there seems to be no way of concealing it! I don't necessarily want all my friends to know I was on 5 minutes ago, or 2 hours, or whatever!

And yeah, I know, FB in itself is unreasonable, I do think that myself, often ... grin

It's just so intrusive though!

NavyandWhite Tue 16-May-17 18:29:10

Erm why exactly don't you want them to know?

CountryCaterpillar Tue 16-May-17 18:29:50

Oh does it?! I don't want everyone to know I'm on constantly / or I'm there when I'm just reading and not replying to their messages....

19lottie82 Tue 16-May-17 18:30:48

I don't think Facebook is the best idea full stop, if you're concerned about privacy!

MrsSeptember Tue 16-May-17 18:30:50

YNBU!!! I hate it. I have one friend who seems to know exactly when I've been on and will message me. I just want to be nosey, not get into conversation!

YesEinsteinsMumDid Tue 16-May-17 18:32:37

It only does it if you have chat enabled. If you turn chat off it doesn't show it. So if I don't want people to know I am on there I turn it off and than can lurk on FB without risking judgement. Also works if you turn chat off for a certain person but not others.

Fruitcorner123 Tue 16-May-17 18:34:12

I thought Facebook was a way of making sure your "friends" know exactly what you're doing at all times. That's why I don't like it. I value my privacy too much.

TheDiamondMumcrafter Tue 16-May-17 18:35:26

When I saw the post headline I thought you were talking about periods grin

Enidblyton1 Tue 16-May-17 18:38:24

Thank God that's one thing Facebook doesn't know, Diamond shock

ahatlikeprincessmarina Tue 16-May-17 18:41:10

Einstein, I have Chat well and truly switched off and I still show up on DP's FB with the little green dot ... sad

bigchris Tue 16-May-17 18:42:16

I thought the same as Diamond!

ahatlikeprincessmarina Tue 16-May-17 18:42:51

Navyandwhite, lots of reasons. The expectation that I will respond when I'm not in the mood to ... days when I spend a fuckload of time on it, frankly, if I've got saved links I want to read or if there's been big news that day ... for starters. ..

ahatlikeprincessmarina Tue 16-May-17 18:43:52

Haha to FB also being an AF tracker, though ... grin

OwlBeBack Tue 16-May-17 18:44:45

Even with chat switched off, it still shows the time you were last active on FB. I never have chat on but my sister can still see whether it's been 5 mins or 8 hours since I was last on the FB site.

CherieBabySpliffUp Tue 16-May-17 18:45:25

Another one who thought you were talking about periods shock grin

OwlBeBack Tue 16-May-17 18:45:55

I only check in via the internet as well. Don't have the app or messenger but it always updates my last time seen.

YesEinsteinsMumDid Tue 16-May-17 18:46:21

Really? because I have never had that happen with people that I know don't use fb. They have never even turned up on my available list. Also i have been online for days and yet my best friend has had no idea that I have been online. confused
are you linked in a relationship? perhaps there are quirks to it. But yes others are really right FB is pretty much an invasion of privacy and to use the service is to give up certain privacy rights as they decide and add to their terms and conditions and features. hmm

YesEinsteinsMumDid Tue 16-May-17 18:48:07

Owl I'll be mindful of that but tbh fb is pissing me off right now and if it wasn't for a few redeaming features I would get rid of it. Damn those redeaming features.

Hulababy Tue 16-May-17 18:51:13

I don't turn my computer off very often, and FB is on one of the open tabs much of them time, along with a couple or os more tabs. So, the information is surely pointless for mine - it must say I am online all the time even when I am not???

I also have chat turned off.

Hulababy Tue 16-May-17 18:54:47

iphone-tricks.com/tutorial/709-facebook-messenger-privacy

This might work for messenger, but not sure. Until DD comes home I can't get anyone to check!

RainyDayBear Tue 16-May-17 18:59:15

It annoys me. I got rid of chat on the iPhone to stop it, but then couldn't read messages on there at all! I much preferred it when you could just set yourself to offline and be done with it.

I once worked out when a friend had gone into labour based on it though, she lives on Facebook and it was the first time she ever was off the bloody thing for 12 hours or so! I told DP she must be having the baby and sure enough she was!

Oldraver Tue 16-May-17 19:00:58

Yep I thought OP had a period tracker and it had synched with FB

Carbon Tue 16-May-17 19:10:26

Never say never Oldraver grin

Beeziekn33ze Tue 16-May-17 19:13:26

PITA because I get criticism for being up too late!

EvaBishop80 Tue 16-May-17 19:16:23

Hula I have just tried that however my phone wont let me scroll up to change my settings, have you sucessfully been able to do it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now