Talk

Advanced search

Not to wash my cat

(63 Posts)
Hereward1332 Tue 16-May-17 12:46:07

No euphemism. I have lived with cats all my life and have never heard of anyone washing theirs. Colleague mentioned washing hers every month and thought I was slovenly. Am I a slattern?

paap1975 Tue 16-May-17 12:47:11

Cats are more than capable of keeping themselves clean. Your colleague is nuts (unless her cat has some very specific medical needs)

SaucyJack Tue 16-May-17 12:47:54

SaucyCat says YANBU.

NancyDonahue Tue 16-May-17 12:48:26

YANBU. You don't need to wash cats, unless advised to by a vet.

scaryteacher Tue 16-May-17 12:48:36

Mine self cleanse. I would be shredded if I attempted to wash either one. The long haired one had to have his lower back legs washed after he had the runs, and he squirmed like mad, and tried to climb me from the kitchen sink. I bled.

FanaticalFox Tue 16-May-17 12:48:55

I get ours groomed properly about once every 4 or 5 months but i wouldn't wash them myself!

StillStayingClassySanDiego Tue 16-May-17 12:49:00

Good luck to anyone who chooses to wash their cat if the cat's not up for it.

I've never bathed either of mine, they'd tear me to shreds.

Justmadeperfectflapjacks Tue 16-May-17 12:49:28

Had cats all my life and never washed one!
Was a kitten fosterer years ago and had to bath a few poopy ones when they had no dm and were manky but wouldn't fancy my chances now with my 2!!

LooksLikeImStuckHere Tue 16-May-17 12:49:53

YANBU.

The only time I've ever washed cats is because they have got themselves covered in car oil or something smelly.

They aren't generally pleased about it...

GingerHanna Tue 16-May-17 12:50:30

Oh that's funny. That really is.

I would need a lot of wine and cake before even attempting to wash my two fluff balls.

ijustwannadance Tue 16-May-17 12:50:40

Only time I washed a cat was when she was an old lady and couldn't clean herself properly and smelled terrible

Hereward1332 Tue 16-May-17 12:51:24

Glad it's not me. Google suggest some people do, but wrangling 5kg of squirming fur and claw into a bath is not something I ever contemplated.

DJBaggySmalls Tue 16-May-17 12:51:59

Naked cats and dogs have to be washed.

YesItsMeIDontCare Tue 16-May-17 12:53:29

Send to wash mine. Seriously. Can you pre-book ambulances?

Having said that, I used to have to shower my old cat when he got too old and arthritic to clean himself properly.

But Leroy? No. No no no no no no no no no.

MyOtherNameIsTaken Tue 16-May-17 12:56:21

Cats are like fanjos. Self cleaning.

yellowfrog Tue 16-May-17 12:59:13

Cats are like fanjos. Self cleaning.

I love mumsnet smile smile

tabulahrasa Tue 16-May-17 13:00:59

I've has to wash cats...one because she got out when we were having the driveway done and got sealant on her, that actually went ok, she just kind of looked horrified at me.

The other is my current cat, she came home covered in oil from a car... next time she can just ingest it, I don't think I'll live through washing her again, rofl.

But no, not routinely.

NightWanderer Tue 16-May-17 13:02:18

I bet her cat hates her.

TheCatOfAthenry Tue 16-May-17 13:05:20

Cookie and Biscuit say YANBU!

whynomoresmileyfaces Tue 16-May-17 13:05:25

I grew up abroad in a very hot climate so i used to bath our cats monthly as their skin got so oily because of the heat. They were so much happier afterwards although the bath time was frankly fucking scary. I have cats now and they have never gone near a bath and I wouldn't fancy it. Only bath them if it for their own good if they are filthy. Otherwise hell to the NO

foreverloathing Tue 16-May-17 13:12:05

I was my cats every week....but they're hairless and need it. I also have to clean their ears and wipe their bums when they poo! 💩😂

user1471439240 Tue 16-May-17 13:15:24

It is quite possible, the donning of the chainmail suit is somewhat of a bitch, however.

NCSpanner Tue 16-May-17 13:19:32

The only time I've ever washed any of my cats is when they'd got some weird sticky goop on themselves outside. I was worried it was something poisonous for them to try to lick it off. The cat was not happy. Other than that they're perfectly able to keep themselves clean, and I wouldn't want to be mauled on a regular basis, anyway!

JennyOnAPlate Tue 16-May-17 13:21:18

Cats are self cleaning. Mine would maul me to death with their claws if I attempted to wash them.

HoneyDragon Tue 16-May-17 13:21:48

Does Gwyneth steam her cat, then?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now