Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

WIBU in the public library?

(196 Posts)
NatureIsAWhore Tue 16-May-17 12:21:04

I was using the computer in the local public library, I have a membership card.

A man came in and I overheard his conversation at the desk about needing to use a computer quickly to send some funds as his van had broken down, we're in a village so no banks. He wasn't from the area and didn't have a membership of the relevant documents for getting one (local household bill etc). He offered to pay just for 5 minutes use. He seemed pretty desperate. But the lady at the desk said that he couldn't as it's for members only.
They were both polite, but I could tell that the guy was frustrated. As I would be, stuck in a village and no wifi, needing to do something which would help his situation but was unable to do so.

So I called over and offered him to use my account for 5 minutes. He was very grateful, and still offered to pay. He sorted whatever he needed to do and then said thanks lots & left.

Then the lady came over to me and told me that I had breached to t&ts of becoming a member and that she would have to forefit my account!!

I now can't use my library because I did a nice thing!

WIBU to offer? i it that bad? Or was she being a jobs worth?

NatureIsAWhore Tue 16-May-17 12:22:46

*breached the t&cs about sharing accounts

OhDearToby Tue 16-May-17 12:26:19

I'm failing to see why it was wrong.

You = nice
Librarian = meanie

OfficerVanHalen Tue 16-May-17 12:29:25

You did a nice thing, i would be tempted to tweet the council/library or do a 'sad face in loca paper' type maneouvre to get my account reinstated myself.

BlossomCat Tue 16-May-17 12:30:01

The librarian is a jobsworth. She could easily have turned a blind eye and let you carry on.
I'll bet that the chap is very grateful to you for helping him

sonjadog Tue 16-May-17 12:30:10

I would take this further with whoever runs the library. What you did was normal, helpful behaviour. The librarian is being a jobsworth and needs to be told to use her brain.

harderandharder2breathe Tue 16-May-17 12:30:17

It's a standard thing that you're not to let anyone else use your account. So technically she's right.

However, given the circumstances and that you were standing right there and the man had tried to do it correctly, I would expect most people to turn a blind eye

Justmadeperfectflapjacks Tue 16-May-17 12:31:59

What a friendly village. . Not.
Are libraries on trip advisor??!

NatureIsAWhore Tue 16-May-17 12:32:24

Yeah, I'll email the council. Thanks. It's annoyed me and has ruined me for ever wanting to do something nice for anyone again.

Don't think I could do a sad face paper complaint though!

MadamePomfrey Tue 16-May-17 12:32:35

Librarian was being a complete jobsworth. I'm not a fan of public shaming but I would tweet/fb the council and challenge it (obviously not naming the librarian or anything)

NatureIsAWhore Tue 16-May-17 12:34:32

It honestly didn't occur to me that I'd be breaking the rules! my dh uses my account all the time without me there. He just has my number and password, I'd have thought this was very common, and librarians all over the country would know this is going on!

ViolentDelights Tue 16-May-17 12:34:50

Why couldn't he just become a member of the library there and then? Then he could use the computer without breaching t&cs. The librarian should have offered him this option.

GreenFingersWouldBeHandy Tue 16-May-17 12:35:00

Total jobsworth. She sounds charming! NOT.

For heaven's sake, it's your decision, your account, your risk, it took 5 mins and she was there the whole time.

Yes, it's a 'rule' but surely a normal human being can see where there is a genuine need to turn a blind eye for 5 mins... anyway, you sound like a nice person. Maybe wait until someone else's shift and see if they can reinstate your account (or sign up again). Good luck!

smileyfacestar Tue 16-May-17 12:35:40

She did it so there is a trail to follow if someone was to use the computer for the wrong reasons such as viewing inappropriate material/grooming or terrorism. I work in two libraries and these things have occurred in both.

grannytomine Tue 16-May-17 12:35:49

Don't let the librarian stop you being nice. I am sure if you take your complaint higher it will get sorted.

NatureIsAWhore Tue 16-May-17 12:36:51

I've emailed the council explaining what's happened. Hopefully they'll sort it. I only use it for printing as I don't have one at home, but it's still annoying

Justmadeperfectflapjacks Tue 16-May-17 12:37:17

Op will you be confessing to anyone irl that you are actually banned from a library?? grin

BorpBorpBorp Tue 16-May-17 12:37:48

He should be able to join the library without proof of a local address. I've joined remote libraries when I was on holiday and needed to print something.

RhiWrites Tue 16-May-17 12:39:50

I think you were astoundingly rude.

The librarian clearly explained the rule about computer use. These are standard terms of service. You undercut her, you breached the TOS and if you had any question about whether you could let him use your account the librarian was RIGHT THERE and you could have asked.

I'm not surprised she was narked with you. How would you like it if you were doing your job and some busybody contradicted the rules you'd just clearly stated.

gleam Tue 16-May-17 12:40:35

I wonder why she didn't warn you when you called him over?

NatureIsAWhore Tue 16-May-17 12:41:23

violent He didn't have relevant ID with him to sign up. Also, not sure if you need to be living within that county to become a member?

greenfinger I am considering going to nearest town in same county and resigning up in y maiden name.

Would you have taken my membership away smiley? Surely she could have let me off with a warning?

NatureIsAWhore Tue 16-May-17 12:43:00

Haha just I feel like such a rebel!

NatureIsAWhore Tue 16-May-17 12:45:59

Fair enough rhi

I wondered that too gleam, but maybe like rhi had said, I'd pissed her off and she struggle to say something there and then.

I didn't mean to undermine her, I had a computer, he needed a computer. I was just being helpful.

Iggi999 Tue 16-May-17 12:47:47

Your photo will be on every library wall in the country.

Timeforabiscuit Tue 16-May-17 12:48:39

Total jobsworth, might want to quote how library services are meant to be an accessible public service.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now