Talk

Advanced search

Boys will be boys

(11 Posts)
Somethingbloodyclever Tue 16-May-17 09:34:04

Aibu to find boys will be boys an extremely annoying saying. It's usually used by parents who discribe their children as boisterous, rambunctious or little tyke.

Wolfiefan Tue 16-May-17 09:36:30

I fucking hate this! The idea that having a penis means you have no choice in how you behave and that you will hit or throw or torment others. It's a rubbish cop out. The parent is saying there's nothing they can do about the behaviour.
All children will be children. They will exhibit a wide range of behaviours. As parents it's up to us to teach them what behaviours are acceptable and when.

NorthumbrianGirl Tue 16-May-17 09:38:13

This phrase gives me the rage. The inference is awful and damaging to both boys and girls.

Justmadeperfectflapjacks Tue 16-May-17 09:39:52

It's an excuse dps use to excuse lack of parenting their ds.

JoandMax Tue 16-May-17 09:39:56

Absolutely hate it - always used to excuse bad behavior and aggression and fighting. There are plenty of ways for boys to be energetic and active without just letting them run riot under the pretence you can't do anything to stop it as 'boys will be boys'

MarcelineTheVampire Tue 16-May-17 09:40:32

Urgh. I hate this saying- as pp said it exacerbates the notion that boys can't control themselves and their urges. It is also incredibly sexist which annoys me that it starts at such an early age.

Slightlyperturbedowlagain Tue 16-May-17 09:44:56

There are plenty of ways for boys to be energetic and active without just letting them run riot under the pretence you can't do anything to stop it
As the mum of 2 boys I totally agree. They do on the whole have more irrepressible energy than girls (though it is a generalisation and not always the case, I was just as energetic apparently) and therefore we tend to seek out activities that are active and channel this energy usefully. However they can sit still if required, and fighting etc. is never ok.

Somethingbloodyclever Tue 16-May-17 09:49:49

I couldn't agree more, all of you are saying what I feel.

Laiste Tue 16-May-17 09:51:22

SIL bases her whole lack of parenting on this phrase angry

PaleAzureofSummer Tue 16-May-17 09:52:58

I think it's similar to mothers of unkind girls in primary school who i heard saying "They are all like it." No they are not. Many are not. It's not inevitable.

Gottagetmoving Tue 16-May-17 09:53:23

Of course. It is one of those sayings that no one must say anymore and it has to be analysed and frowned upon.
It depends on how you interpret it.
In most school playgrounds, you will find that boys are being noisy and boisterous and engaging in rough play. Girls will be in groups playing less boisterous games.
Not always,....but mostly. THAT is what the phrase refers to. Its not about being naughty, or disobedient.

I agree it is not good to use it to excuse loutish or bad behaviour and definitely not to describe the behaviour of grown men.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now