Talk

Advanced search

to find vegans really annoying?

(423 Posts)
seriouslynowdontbesoearnest Tue 16-May-17 00:12:02

Just that really. I know a few and my god do they ever preach on and on about their coconut oil macha powder cacao powder chia seed energy balls and milk industry and calves being killed etc. It's the over earnestness and attitude that they are the most enlightened people to walk this planet that wind me up. It reminds me of being 18 again.

LostSight Tue 16-May-17 00:15:41

I know two (quite possibly more, who have not identified themselves). Both are kind thoughtful people who don't remotely judge me for holding a different position.

If the ones you know are so awful, they're probably just unpleasant people in general. Avoiding them as much as possible would be my plan.

ViserysGoldCrown Tue 16-May-17 00:17:08

biscuit

SuburbanRhonda Tue 16-May-17 00:17:28

Just avoid people you actively dislike, vegan or not.

Job done.

Kimonolady Tue 16-May-17 00:17:41

Replace "vegans" in that sentence with "women" or "black people" or "Muslims" or "lesbians."

Does that sound unreasonable to you?
There you go.

nelipotter Tue 16-May-17 00:18:20

Yeah well we find unrepentant meat eaters feral

seriouslynowdontbesoearnest Tue 16-May-17 00:18:37

I know quite a few. They're not unpleasant people. Nice, in fact. Just become so preachy about it.. It's like they've joined a cult. The Cult of Coconut Oil.

SnapAttack Tue 16-May-17 00:21:31

kimonolady well said

loaferloveforyou Tue 16-May-17 00:22:45

People who go on and on about their lifestyle choices as if everyone should adopt them generally are irritating - it's not exclusive to vegans

YABU

LostSight Tue 16-May-17 00:22:51

So recent converts then, with the zeal pf the newly converted. Hopefully they'll get over it.

Thanks neliipotter. Very helpful comment.

RoastedPotato Tue 16-May-17 00:23:22

There are annoying people everywhere. The percentage of annoying non-vegans I know of is equal to the percentage of annoying vegans I know of. So YABU.

SuburbanRhonda Tue 16-May-17 00:24:59

The Cult of Coconut Oil.

How long have you been thinking that one up, OP?

GaelicSiog Tue 16-May-17 00:25:13

I know a vegan who tried to get eating dairy products banned in the work cafe area, because "vegans eating a falafel sandwich isn't offensive to non vegans, but watching a non vegan eat a ham sandwich is highly distressing for vegans."

Seriously. And I say this as someone who is vegan a good 50% of the time.

seriouslynowdontbesoearnest Tue 16-May-17 00:26:14

I'm actually vegetarian myself. Nelipotter your comment is exactly the sort of 'holy and pure vegan' attitude I am talking about. I'd be tempted to go vegan myself if I didn't think I'd be consigned to a life of hanging out with people telling everyone what I cured with my pure organic coconut oil and looking smug.

ShoesHaveSouls Tue 16-May-17 00:27:19

Oh shut up. I'm not vegan, but vegetarian, and I have to listen to endless conversations about roast dinners, turkey or goose at xmas, how long a steak should be cooked, and how some people like blood coming out of it, etc. Despite what I just said, I don't bloody moan. It's only because deep down you probably know they're right about animal welfare.

sweetkitty Tue 16-May-17 00:28:41

I'm a vegan and I've never tried coconut oil. Most people don't even know I'm vegan. If someone asks why directly I will tell them but I'm not preachy and certainly don't get offended by someone eating a ham sandwich.

SherlockPotter Tue 16-May-17 00:29:30

A small minority are but the majority are okay!

loaferloveforyou Tue 16-May-17 00:30:07

My friend cooks with coconut oil - I never realised she was vegan!

If you want to be vegan, be vegan, you can be friends with non-vegans at the same time

sweetkitty Tue 16-May-17 00:30:17

I tend to agree, people don't want to know where their dinner cake from or how it was treated, we as a society want to totally detach ourselves from the killing of an animal do we can chew on its flesh, we chose not to make the connection.

RoastedPotato Tue 16-May-17 00:31:00

sweetkitty is the best kind of person. Everyone should be able to eat what they like without being told what they think we really feel "deep down".

haveacupoftea Tue 16-May-17 00:31:12

I don't really mind, that's just what they're into. What I do object to is gym goers who think they have a great handle on nutrition (you know the type who go on about macros hmm) who can't understand why they aren't losing weight because they use coconut oil instead of olive oil.

It doesn't have magical fucking properties, it has the same number of calories as other oils FFS.

barrygetamoveonplease Tue 16-May-17 00:32:00

Seriously, they are the most annoying people on Earth. Religious extremists are less irritating.
I'm not prejudiced. I have a large jar of coconut oil in my kitchen.

CrowyMcCrowFace Tue 16-May-17 00:32:40

Nope. I was a fishocrite for years, mostly veggie, now eat meat, have vegan friends.

Never been an issue.

I like cooking vegan food when they come over for dinner.

seriouslynowdontbesoearnest Tue 16-May-17 00:33:08

loving the vegan type usernames responding to this:

shoeshavesouls
sweetkitty

come on, still waiting for CoconutOilCuredMyGenitalWarts and TasteMyEnergyBalls to respond...

sweetkitty Tue 16-May-17 00:33:20

See I wrote cake instead of came, live car (as long as it's vegan lol).

You know I'm all in peace and live and let live, my husband is a carnivore as are 3 out of my 4 children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now