Talk

Advanced search

to disapprove of Theresa May's policy direction

(10 Posts)
longfingernails Mon 15-May-17 23:31:25

The Tories should be proud capitalists, championing a dynamic entrepreneurial society and a market economy. Government should invest in infrastructure, education, planning and skills - and then get out of the way as fast as possible! Osborne, for all his many faults, succeeded on unemployment. The key to that was a flexible labour market, cutting the unproductive public sector, setting low corporation taxes, welfare restraint and cutting bureaucracy.

Instead, May talks about energy bill capping, a policy copied from Red Ed Miliband! She talks about enshrining the EU's red tape into British law, and even extending it, with endless workers' councils, etc. The disease has spread to Scotland too, with Ruth Davidson u-turning on prescription charges.

So far the sound money free marketeers on the backbenches have reined in Theresa May's worst statist instincts. Philip Hammond was forced to backtrack on his appalling tax increase on contractors. But once she gets elected with a large majority of supine MPs who owe her their allegiance, who will stop the Tories under her watch adopting second rate Kinnock style policies? The Tories should aim to be more than Labour-lite.

I am quite disappointed in May. Michael Gove would have been a far superior Prime Minister. She should not take natural conservatives for granted. It's true that there is no real alternative today, but who knows what tomorrow will bring?

MagicTractor Tue 16-May-17 11:18:57

I'm on this purely for the rubber necking and I'm not going to lie about it.

Dianneabbottsmathsteacher Tue 16-May-17 11:20:42

Are you being paid op? wink

RebelAllianceUK Tue 16-May-17 11:20:59

I'm with MagicTractor

biscuit

longfingernails Tue 16-May-17 23:28:17

No, I am not paid (apart from via my job which has nothing to do with politics).

I just want to make the point that Tories should act like Tories, instead of a subpar Neil Kinnock tribute band.

Orlantina Tue 16-May-17 23:33:20

What's a flexible labour market?
Zero hours? Low wage? Insecurity?

Orlantina Tue 16-May-17 23:34:01

Michael Gove would have been a far superior Prime Minister

grin

bialystockandbloom Tue 16-May-17 23:35:43

Are you Sarah Vine OP?

longfingernails Tue 16-May-17 23:37:17

It's much easier for an employer to take a chance on someone and offer them a job if they have some flexibility in reducing headcount if business goes bad, or if they can easily get rid of unproductive or disruptive workers, or if they don't have to fill in a thousand forms each time.

It's a major reason Britain has low unemployment compared to our peers.

ilovesooty Tue 16-May-17 23:41:15

flexibility in reducing headcount

hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now