Advanced search

can't afford an ASD diagnosis?

(16 Posts)
simplysleepy Mon 15-May-17 21:16:26

not sure where to put tho so posting here for traffic.

i'm high functioning autistic. this is a fact, well established by by gp and other health care officials from about the age of 6. the problem is i haven't been officially diagnosed (my mum has a lost of qualms about it but thats a whole other thing).

i really need a diagnosis soon as i will qualify for extra funding i really need for university, and they will be able to provide extra provisions for me.every website i visit tells me i need my gp to refer me for a diagnosis, but my borough and at least the 5 others nearest don't offer diagnosis in people over the age of 12 for lack of funding. i cannot afford to get a private diagnosis, as i said i am in need of extra money for uni, not less.

does anyone know of any charity or such where i can get formally diagnosed for significantly less than the cost i have been quoted (£760)? thank you.
(sorry for the length)

CrochetBelle Mon 15-May-17 21:18:45

What borough are you in?

simplysleepy Mon 15-May-17 21:20:18

my house is in Southwark, but right on the order so i go to my gp in Lambeth

simplysleepy Mon 15-May-17 21:20:34

*border. sorry

GooseFriend Mon 15-May-17 21:24:43

Have you discussed with your gp as many refer out of area rather than keeping it all in borough (esp in London). Sorry if you have, it wasn't clear.

Have you contacted the Autism Education Trust or Ambitious About Autism or the National Autistic Society? The latter have a directory of services.

Having a diagnosis won't automatically get you funding though. Funding is done on need rather than diagnosis. You could contact the uni you'll be going to. Many do assessments themselves as part of their pastoral services.

wizzywig Mon 15-May-17 21:25:57

Dsa is on need. Pinehill hosp in hertfodshire is cheaper than london

smu06set Mon 15-May-17 21:27:55

Wait list will be your issue even if you can find one that diagnoses post 12 - the wait list in berkshire is 2 years!! If you are 18 though they wont diagnose as you are an adult.

StatisticallyChallenged Mon 15-May-17 21:27:58

I was privately diagnosed through a specialist at Spire about 3 years ago; I'm in Edinburgh (so not London, but not cheap either) and IIRC it was £350 and done in one appointment.

Neome Mon 15-May-17 21:28:34

Autistic Society gave me a list, I rang round & took niece to private psychiatrist in Bristol (from London) it was much less than the price you quote.

planetclom Mon 15-May-17 21:30:34

Contact the National autistic society, adults actually have more rights regarding diagnosis than children under the autism Act 2009
Good luck

wizzywig Mon 15-May-17 21:32:44

What kind of things will you need through the funding? Is studying from home an option?

Theducksarenotmyfriends Mon 15-May-17 21:32:55

Op if you contact the Directory of Social Change they have a database of charities that make grants to individuals so they might be able to do a search for you.

simplysleepy Mon 15-May-17 21:39:42

thank you for all of your help.

no, the gp says he is unable to refer out of the boroughs that border us. the main reason why i didn't get diagnosed as a child was that we were told it would make me ineligible for CAMHS, which i used for a while for someone to talk to after a bereavement.

wizzywig no, studying from home isn't an option unfortunately. the uni is in scotland. i have already spoken to their needs coordination team (?) who said i would likely get funding through DSA and the uni, but only if i had an official diagnosis. the funding would be used mainly for a computer or voice recorder for my lectures, which are approved usages of the funds according to the DSA, as well as some toward taxi use as i often have to leave public transport during rush hour as i get overwhelmed.

StatisticallyChallenged Mon 15-May-17 22:14:07

Most mobiles have pretty good voice recorders on them now; mine's a Samsung Galaxy and I used it to record a training presentation the other day and the quality is really clear. Worth thinking about rather than a specific recorder.

Would you be able to cope at uni without the funding for a while? Depending on where in Scotland you're going you might be able to get an assessment on the NHS up here once you register with a doctor. I went private but my GP would have referred me on the NHS - there is an adult autism unit where I am (my private diagnosis was actually done by the guy who headed the unit at that time)

EastEndQueen Mon 15-May-17 22:31:05

Hi OP, which uni are you going to? Do you have a firm offer? In my experience once you get to them they have brilliant student support services both for diagnosis and helping you get funding. I have significant dyslexia and dyspraxia (dyslexia formally diagnosed at school but diagnosis had 'lapsed' so no longer entitled to extra time/ funding etc, dyspraxia never diagnosed but always suspected)

I mentioned it to my uni tutor and was swiftly helped to organise an assessment and following diagnosis, given one-on-one help with funding/ reasonable adjustments help.

It may mean a short wait for the extras you need but again, uni may be able to help with loaning things etc.


hellokittymania Tue 16-May-17 00:21:15

Hi there, I am at University as well but doing an online course. I am unable to get DSA since I don't meet the UK residency requirements. I have actually found my YouTube channel to be very helpful. I do my assignments orally and now that I have an iPad which has dictation are use dictation. If you do use your iPad or phone, do you have anything with a lot of gigabytes though, this is the one problem I'm finding with my iPad as it has only 16 GB. It's often low on space.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: