Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to buy myself an "engagement" ring?

(73 Posts)
bullywee Mon 15-May-17 20:12:47

Long time lurker... This is not a stealth boast by the way...

I have recently received a prize/bonus at work (~£3k). I am not engaged (or, in fact, in a relationship) but have always wanted a three stone diamond ring so have decided to treat myself to a sparkler. However, I told a couple of friends/colleagues what I was planning to do with my funds and they frankly told me that I will look ridiculous not only a) going into the shop to by myself such a ring but also b) wearing such a ring (an engagement ring) on my middle finger.

What are your thoughts? Would this be ridiculous?

moutonfou Mon 15-May-17 20:13:21

YOLO

AtrociousCircumstance Mon 15-May-17 20:13:47

Do it! Who gives a shit if it isn't the convention?

Congrats on your bonus and enjoy your amazing ring.

FreeSpiritJen Mon 15-May-17 20:14:26

Get one by all means, but don't wear on your third finger left hand. That would be weird if you're single. IMO.

Nishky Mon 15-May-17 20:14:58

I think your friends are talking bollocks and are jealous.....

DarthMaiden Mon 15-May-17 20:16:13

Frankly - yes.

It's a very odd thing to do.

Buying yourself some beautiful jewellery - your money, your choice.

Buying a diamond ring - again up to you.

Wearing as an engagement ring is just - well a but too Miss Havisham imho.

PastysPrincess Mon 15-May-17 20:16:57

Do what the hell you want. It makes no difference to anyone else at all. You've earned it.

bitingcat Mon 15-May-17 20:17:21

Not ridiculous at all. If that's how you want to treat yourself for your hard work then do it! Don't let your friends spoil it for you. Enjoy your sparkly ring

Whatsername17 Mon 15-May-17 20:17:41

Buy it and post a pic! I love diamonds!

bullywee Mon 15-May-17 20:18:17

I think you've misunderstood, DarthMaiden. I have no intentions of wearing the ring on the "engagement finger", it would be worn on the middle finger of my right hand.

Firenight Mon 15-May-17 20:18:18

It would be a bit odd to wear on the left ring finger but on the other hand on another finger absolutely fine.

I wear my Gran's engagement ring and see nothing wrong in that. Despite being married I never had an engagement ring of my own.

SantanicoPandemonium Mon 15-May-17 20:18:38

What rubbish they're talking! I got a family heirloom ring for my 18th (very similar to princess Kate's, just not as expensive) and I've worn it every day since then. Nothing weird about it at all.

TheCraicDealer Mon 15-May-17 20:19:40

Just wear it on your right hand to save any awkward "omgwhostheluckyman?!" convos. Complete non-issue. I'd feel more sorry for those women who don't feel confident enough to go into a jewellers to buy a nice item of jewellery with money they earned themselves. Crackers.

MissBax Mon 15-May-17 20:19:52

What's wrong with buying yourself a diamond ring?! It's not an engagement ring as you're not engaged and not gonna wear it on engagement finger so don't see what the big deal is!

DarthMaiden Mon 15-May-17 20:20:19

Then I'm happy to stand corrected OP grin.

Buy the ring and enjoy it.

BroomstickOfLove Mon 15-May-17 20:20:56

Totally not ridiculous. Darth, the OP isn't planning on wearing it as an engagement ring - she said it would go on a middle finger. She just wants pretty diamonds on her hand.

WhisperingLoudly Mon 15-May-17 20:21:04

You absolutely won't look ridiculous buying jewellery. A three stone ring is not a typical engagement ring at the moment and besides plenty of women buy their own jewellery.

Gingerbreadmam Mon 15-May-17 20:21:51

id do it. you can order online too if you would rather not go into the shop?

fwiw i would love a trilogy ring as my engagement ring grin

but, on any other finger it's just a lively ring. congrats on the bonus!

Ditsy1980 Mon 15-May-17 20:22:26

Go for it!

Notmyrealname85 Mon 15-May-17 20:22:54

Love the yolo response!! And seconding that!

LightYears Mon 15-May-17 20:23:30

Do it, I've got my eye on a wedding ring with stones in. Not getting married. :-p

LaLegue Mon 15-May-17 20:24:03

There is nothing wrong with wanting to buy yourself a diamond ring. And there is no such thing as an 'engagement ring' unless you are buying it to become engaged. Any ring can be an engagement ring if you want it to be, but equally it can just be a ring.

Wear it on the ring finger of your right hand though, not the middle finger of your left. Rings of that type never look right on the middle finger.

AliciaMayEmory Mon 15-May-17 20:24:14

You've worked hard for that bonus! Go and buy the ring!

butterfly990 Mon 15-May-17 20:24:26

A tip I heard when choosing a stone.
If you want a 1 carat size go for 0.9 carat or 1.9 for 2 carats as the price goes up a lot when you got to the next whole carat point. If that makes sense.

Enjoy your shopping!

PaperdollCartoon Mon 15-May-17 20:24:52

Do it! Diamonds are a good investment anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now