Talk

Advanced search

How old for bathing kids

(25 Posts)
TheSunshineLover Mon 15-May-17 19:40:35

Sorry not an AIBU, just wanting a few opinions.

How old do you think is the right age to stop sharing a bath with your DC?

DS is 2.5 and just starting to try to grab things he shouldn't so think it may be time.

harderandharder2breathe Mon 15-May-17 19:50:10

When you or they feel it's time to stop is the right time imo

If you're no longer happy to share then don't. No need to worry about it or feel guilty.

Diel Mon 15-May-17 19:50:43

Think it depends on the child/adult and how comfortable both are. I share with my dd age 4 sometimes and think that's fine for us. Ds was younger when we stopped because he wanted lots of space to play

FreeSpiritJen Mon 15-May-17 19:52:20

Subjective. But 2.5 isn't too old.

I think (as a woman) I would stop at 5 if it was a son and about 6-7 if it was a girl.

Wouldn't judge folk who bathe with older kids though ... Each to their own.

Crumbs1 Mon 15-May-17 20:07:29

When they or you want to. Mine used to climb in at every opportunity for a chat. Sometimes they'd sit on edge and paddle feet but they'd certainly jump in until 6/7 some older.

DubiousCredentials Mon 15-May-17 20:13:45

When either one of you no longer feels comfortable doing it anymore. Or puberty, whichever comes first.

Sparklingbrook Mon 15-May-17 20:15:37

I never started. Bath time was me time.

But when one of you feels uncomfortable then it's time.

Allthewaves Mon 15-May-17 20:27:47

My 8 year old is getting a little shy but still likes to have a bath with his dad at weekends. Poor dh doesn't get a choice with our 6 and 4 yr old, as soon as they realise he's in the bath its clothes off and in they dive lol

Blimey01 Mon 15-May-17 20:30:04

My DS was about 6/7 but that wasn't out of embarrassment. We both couldn't fit in comfortably any more!

daddyorscience Mon 15-May-17 20:33:18

I still sit in the bathroom with DS (5)/DD (7), and often get dragged into the shower so they can wash me/my hair, or cover me in shaving foam. They don't grab etc, but DS does so love pointing and "haha, Willy!".. But then, he does in the changing room at swimming. Bless 'im.

TheMasterNotMargarita Mon 15-May-17 20:38:16

9 year old DD still likes an occasional bath with her old mum.
It's a lovely quiet time to chat together if a bit cramped.
I'm happy if she is...it'll end soon enough.
Not sure about DS though he's only 8 months.I'd bet I'll not get a bath in peace for a few years yet!

OhDearToby Mon 15-May-17 20:38:59

I still share with my 7yo dd1! As I'm currently 35 weeks pregnant there isn't much room (especially if dd2 jumps in as well) but she loves it.

It's personal preference though I guess. We are very open about nudity and dd1 is one of those children who doesn't wear clothes so definitely not shy about her body yet.

fannydaggerz Mon 15-May-17 20:40:33

I was in the bath with my 5.5 year old tonight.

kitkatspiderrat Mon 15-May-17 20:50:01

my 6 and 9year olds would jump in with me now given the chance but since i have my bath like molten lava they cant. if its not too hot and im feeling nice they do

coldflange Mon 15-May-17 20:55:50

DS used to strip off and jump in with me up until he was around 8.

jarhead123 Mon 15-May-17 21:05:06

I never started. Always seemed a bit weird to me. But I'd say 2/3

WashBasketsAreUs Mon 15-May-17 21:27:39

My girls used to come in the bathroom, sit on the loo and chat until they left home! And the dogs would come in as well. We only had a small bathroom and it was like party central in there some nights. Also i used to go in and chat to them when they were in the bath or shower; in fact when they come here and I'm in the bath they have no hesitation in popping in for a chat.

arethereanyleftatall Mon 15-May-17 21:31:37

I still Bath with my 8.5 year old daughter. She enjoys it.

Lollyb86 Mon 15-May-17 21:33:33

DD 3.5 still shares with both me and DH. While everyone is atill.comfortable with it we will carry on

Writerwannabe83 Mon 15-May-17 21:37:51

What's being grabbed?? grin

My DS is 3years 2months and we still bath together - I'm not sure why it would be weird?

My sister bathed with her children until they were about 6/7. They are now aged 8 and 11 and although they don't share a bath with her they still sit in the bathroom whilst my sister bathes and chat away with her.

starsinspring Mon 15-May-17 21:38:28

Not something I've ever done.

starsinspring Mon 15-May-17 21:38:53

These threads always get a bit daft though.

peaceloveandbiscuits Mon 15-May-17 22:13:16

2.5yo DS dictates whether or not we're allowed to share with him these days. I think it depends on whether he wants room to "swim" (stretch out on his tummy - he takes up the whole bath!). Certainly no shame or embarrassment around nudity yet. Not sure what we'll do when new baby arrives... probably won't be room for me or DH anymore!

SomewhatIdiosyncratic Mon 15-May-17 22:21:32

I'm still getting gatecrashed by my 4&6 year olds. If they're happy, I'm happy. Well, I'd rather bathe in peace, but I'm comfortable that they're comfortable with mutual nudity.

booellesmum Mon 15-May-17 22:25:36

With mine it naturally tailed off until they were about 7/8 - but by that age it wasn't every bath time, just occasionally.
It was more about room really to start with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now