Talk

Advanced search

To be annoyed she's weird with money?

(34 Posts)
Bitsnnoyed7777 Mon 15-May-17 19:10:09

Friend is weird with money even though we're on the same and live together - no dependents etc. Case in point this eve, I get food got us and he pays me back but deliberately underpays by like £2. I don't care but this happens every time!! I buy more rounds etc etc. Fed up

Bitsnnoyed7777 Mon 15-May-17 19:10:33

Sorry should say he!

wowfudge Mon 15-May-17 19:11:52

Tell him that unless he pays his fair share, you are going to only buy food and drink for yourself. Or take it in turns.

AyeAmarok Mon 15-May-17 19:12:15

"That's £2 short buddy."

Then he can explain why, and you can agree or not, depending.

Job done.

Siwdmae Mon 15-May-17 19:12:26

So either stop getting him stuff or ask for the money up front. Or, if he underplays you, tell him and ask for the rest. If he doesn't have it, get it off him next time.

NellieFiveBellies Mon 15-May-17 19:12:55

Clearly you do care otherwise you wouldn't be fed up :D

It's ok to care that someone is taking the piss. £2 quid is £2 quid. It adds up.

Why don't you just say where is the other £2?

And if he says it's only £2 then you say yes, and three days ago it was £2 for X and a week ago it was £2 for Y and a fortnight ago it was £2 for Z and all these £2 add up to £40, then £50 then £100. You are taking the piss.

He will do this for as long as you let him.

hibbledobble Mon 15-May-17 19:14:24

Why does he deliberately underpay you?

Some people have different attitudes towards money, often due to their upbringing. It's fine for him to be frugal, but not for him to expect you to sub him.

Bitsnnoyed7777 Mon 15-May-17 19:14:30

I'm such a pushover, he said he would give it to me and I said oh it's fine as I can't bear to be the sort of person who scrabbles after 2 quid. It's not a nice trait though

Bitsnnoyed7777 Mon 15-May-17 19:14:53

Said he miscalculated confused

ChicRock Mon 15-May-17 19:15:00

When you say to him "you're £2 short there" what does he do?

Supersoaryflappypigeon Mon 15-May-17 19:17:45

Start telling him everything is £4 more than it actually is.

thatwouldbeanecumenicalmatter Mon 15-May-17 19:21:32

Jeez I'd be tempted to get the WD40 out and put in in front of him, and tell him you've noticed the squeaking when he walks. Shame the bugger, can't stand tight gits who happily spend your money.

thatwouldbeanecumenicalmatter Mon 15-May-17 19:25:07

I bet he never 'miscalculates' and pays you too much...

NellieFiveBellies Mon 15-May-17 19:26:51

You aren't the person who scrabbles over £2.

You are the person who expects to not be subbing someone on a regular basis.

Add all those £2's up.

Is it ten quid? I bet it's more. £20? More? £30?

How much do you think it adds up to so far?

Etymology23 Mon 15-May-17 19:26:55

Can I suggest using "splitwise" as a practical measure? It adds up what you owe each other so you can keep track, and you can adjust the split by % or shares or amounts. Makes it much harder to underpay and also means fewer individual payments.

Butterymuffin Mon 15-May-17 19:33:01

I like supersoary's idea. But you know you need to get over saying 'oh it's fine'. Don't say that. Ask for your money. Also, stop buying rounds, or joint food. Say 'I think it's easier if we each get our own'.

Lochan Mon 15-May-17 19:36:26

Stop buying him food up front. Get the money or let him buy his own.

When it's his round in the pub don't but for him.

Hedgehogparty Mon 15-May-17 19:37:10

Just buy your own food and drink from now on.
This sort of meanness would stop me wanting to go out with him though anyway.

PeachyPip Mon 15-May-17 20:50:17

* I said oh it's fine as I can't bear to be the sort of person who scrabbles after 2 quid*

But you clearly are and you aren't being honest about it with him or yourself either. Are you worried he will judge you as being mean?

If you want the money just ask him for it at the time. I wouldn't feel embarrassed about it. I'm happy to be generous when I want to be but it's on my terms not theirs. It would bug me if someone did this and I think if someone is bugging me then I should tell them why so that they have a chance to put it right.

Bitsnnoyed7777 Tue 16-May-17 11:00:18

Yes I'm a v generous person and I don't want to be judged as being mean I think. But also this whole viewpoint of constantly leaving me short (which this person seems to do a lot) is completely alien to me

harderandharder2breathe Tue 16-May-17 11:03:13

Stop letting him get away with it

He's the cheap one, not you

Kateallison16 Tue 16-May-17 11:13:30

Im sure he is capable of buying his own food. Let him and just get your own. Problem solved.

Bitsnnoyed7777 Tue 16-May-17 11:15:10

It's always with things like takeaways. He'll suggest I get it then he'll transfer - but when it's the opposite, he'll round up my share and When he's paying me it's a few quid short

Bitsnnoyed7777 Tue 16-May-17 11:15:43

It's frustrating cos we're on very similar money and both saving for the future. He's just a massive tightwad

CrazedZombie Tue 16-May-17 11:53:13

You need to alternate paying for the takeaways if you are too embarrassed to chase it up. I bet he's doing it on purpose.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now