Talk

Advanced search

to wonder why apocalypse now doesn't happen when nuclear missiles are tested?

(9 Posts)
myoriginal3 Mon 15-May-17 17:36:51

Surely it means that they're activated in the normal way? Why is the world not ending when they're activated?

Or is a test phase different to normal activation?

HIG70 Mon 15-May-17 17:43:47

It's only North Korea that test them now isn't it?

They are underground too.

myoriginal3 Mon 15-May-17 17:45:16

It leads me to believe that if you live far away from them, then you're safe enough? Am I misunderstanding?

HIG70 Mon 15-May-17 17:46:27

I think unless you are a rat living underground in North Korea then you are safe enough.

myoriginal3 Mon 15-May-17 18:12:10

Happier now knowing Trump is at the helm of the red button.

Annahibiscuits Mon 15-May-17 18:19:04

I think they will be testing the launch/flight/operation of the missile, rather than the nuclear reaction?

user1471596238 Mon 15-May-17 18:19:48

Nuclear devices tend to be detonated underground when being tested and ICBMs when test launched don't carry real warheads. Russia, China, US etc. inform each other when they are test launching missiles as far as I am aware.

Annahibiscuits Mon 15-May-17 18:24:00

I THINK NK are struggling to make a nuclear warhead small enough to be carried on a long range missile?

So they will be testing the launch and range without the warhead/lethal package...using a blank of the same mass/dimensions (which is normal practice)

TheFifthKey Mon 15-May-17 18:25:42

A nuclear warhead is just a big bomb though...one won't cause the end of the world. It's the culmative effect of worldwide nuclear war that would prove deadly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now