Talk

Advanced search

Robert Crampton in The Times on Saturday: trip to A&E

(53 Posts)
user1493630944 Mon 15-May-17 15:04:29

Anyone else think it was unreasonable for Robert Crampton to take his teenage daughter to A&E because she had a temperature on a Friday night, instead of giving paracetamol and letting her rest at home? He wrote about it in his column in the Times magazine.

MissBax Mon 15-May-17 15:07:49

I didn't read it but from what you've just said, yes that's ridiculous.

user1493630944 Mon 15-May-17 15:10:35

He did not even phone 111 first for advice.

MissBax Mon 15-May-17 15:13:43

I used to work in A+E and I can't tell you how stressed out the staff get by things like this. People turning up with headache or ear ache. Sometimes you want to shout "IS THIS A FUCKING JOKE?!?!" at them.

ghostyslovesheets Mon 15-May-17 15:15:25

well without a link to the actual article it's difficult to say

Vroomster Mon 15-May-17 15:18:20

I want to read it, I can't find it.

TheStoatIsStoatallyDifferent Mon 15-May-17 15:18:42

I read it and I agree.

wickerlampshade Mon 15-May-17 15:22:24

Yes, halfway down the article I wanted to shout at him not to be such an idiot.

user1493630944 Mon 15-May-17 15:23:40

Sorry I cannot post a link as you have to pay to access the Times website, and I bought the paper. But he reported it in his 'Beta male' column (Sat 13 May) just as I describe. The daughter is 18 years old. At no point in the article does he even acknowledge that it was inappropriate. I find it appalling that an intelligent journalist thinks it acceptable to publicise this stupidity. I sympathise with MissBax!

KarlosKKrinkelbeim Mon 15-May-17 15:24:31

I read it and kind of assumed there must be more to it than a temp, but he didn't want to give details.
He could agave written about something else if he had privacy concerns of course

PsychologicalSaline Mon 15-May-17 15:29:28

In summary: RC's 18 year old daughter presents with temperature of 39.5 (and shivering) at 11pm. Off to A&E to arrive at about midnight and leave to arrive home at 3am having had a ('hefty') dose of paracetamol.

To be fair there's no info on preceding events / pre-existing medical condition / any other symptoms.

I agree that it seems a poor use of NHS resources as the situation was presented.

MissBax Mon 15-May-17 15:32:16

What was his article actually about? Was he saying it was good he used the NHS? What an idiot!

user1493630944 Mon 15-May-17 15:52:41

The trip to A&E was the theme of the article, starting with a few observations about Friday night at home and ending with a few observations about others attending A&E (ie drunks and junkies - his words).

Istandinpause Mon 15-May-17 15:56:17

Exactly my reaction. He said he knew what to do the minute he saw her temperature. So he took her to A&E, obviously had to wait for ages, the daughter was given paracetamol and they were sent home. I googled 'What to do if you have a temperature of 39.5' and immediately got the response that it was not a situation for a hospital.

MissBax Mon 15-May-17 16:03:10

Jesus. I hope enough people gave him a good dose of reality!!

DissonantInterval Mon 15-May-17 16:10:39

Good grief. If there were no other conditions/concerns other than that it sounds totally ridiculous. And yes, you'd hope someone intelligent and switched on regarding the pressures on the NHS and a&e in particular, would have given some paracetamol and advised fluids and rest. And any comments about drunks and junkies is just really lame 'journalism'. He obviously couldn't see that he was a resource waster too. Can't stand the bloke at the best of times.

thatorchidmoment Mon 15-May-17 16:11:08

Yikes. That's ridiculous. The NHS is on its knees, not just because of 'drunks and junkies', but widespread prattish behaviour like this. A lot more people need to try self-care at home, like paracetamol, hot lemon and honey, and a bit of time!

If she had a rash, photophobia or other possible flags for meningitis, I take it all back. But a fever in isolation is likely to be a self-limiting viral illness, which the NHS can do zilch for other than dose your adult daughter with paracetamol.

bigmack Mon 15-May-17 16:14:23

I hope he wasn't implying that drunks and junkies are abusing the NHS after taking his daughter in with a temperature.

BigGreenOlives Mon 15-May-17 16:14:42

He & his wife took their temperatures & because they are old & can't do Celsius they just assumed going to A&E was the right thing. None of them can use internet or a calculator to work out what 39.5C is. I must stop reading his column, he is so irritating.

AHedgehogCanNeverBeBuggered Mon 15-May-17 16:18:06

I too read this and was aghast - how did the editor not read it and point out that it makes him sound like a complete prat? I've always liked his column, but he needs to give his head a wobble.

GeorgeTheHamster Mon 15-May-17 16:25:32

I agree, it made him sound an utter twat.

user1493630944 Mon 15-May-17 23:58:10

Even if the NHS was not under pressure this would still be a completely ridiculous response to a raised temperature. One wonders that it never occurred to him that while in London he may live close to an A&E department many people don't - does he seriously think people would drive miles to their nearest A&E department because of an adult with a temperature? At the bottom of the article is an advert for his book. I used to think pretending to be a prat was to some extent a journalistic ploy but not any more. I won't be buying his book.

Vroomster Tue 16-May-17 08:24:36

A 'hefty' dose of paracetamol. So 1g which is a standard adult dose. FFS.

I have genuinely had parents ask me where they can buy Calpol.

originalbiglymavis Tue 16-May-17 08:27:25

I assumed she had a temp of 40-something. I might take a baby with a very high temp if I couldnt get the temp down but for goodness sake 39.5?

SweetieBaby Tue 16-May-17 08:47:00

I thought exactly the same when I read the article. Absolutely ridiculous and then to have the front to write an article proudly boasting about the fact - I would have been too embarrassed about my complete and utter idiocy to tell anyone, let alone readers of a national newspaper.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now