Talk

Advanced search

Out of date frozen yogurt

(23 Posts)
Mrbluethecatt Mon 15-May-17 14:42:52

I had my friend and her 2 DCs 3/4 over for lunch. After lunch the DC wanted something sweet so I offered some frozen yogurt.

A few weeks ago I had some of those yogurt tubes which were about to go out of date before we could eat them so I froze them.

I went to give the DCs the opened frozen yogurt tubes when my friend noticed the date on them. She took the tubes from the DCs and throw them in the bin. She started saying that I could have made the DCs sick as the yogurt was out of date. I told her it was ok because it was frozen. My DSS's have eaten then before with no problems.

I thought you could eat stuff that was out of date if it was frozen before the use by date. My friend left shortly after this and has texted to say we should have lunch at her house as she only likes to feed the DCs safe foods. confused

Wiu? Was I wrong about the tubes being safe to eat? Have a been unknowingly feeding my DSSs food that could make them ill?

DJBaggySmalls Mon 15-May-17 14:46:44

It would depend how far out of date they were, but pasteurized yoghurt is pretty safe. If you havent been ill, you're not doing anything wrong.

toolonglurking Mon 15-May-17 14:48:08

Your friend sounds pretty uneducated about food.

Quartz2208 Mon 15-May-17 14:49:03

They should last 1-2 months easily. She was being precious about it

GnatsChuff Mon 15-May-17 14:50:05

Of course they were ok. confused
Does she never freeze meat? That's the point of freezing things, to extend storage life.

We eat yoghurts for a good two weeks after the end of their shelf life without freezing. None of us has ever got ill.

PaleAzureofSummer Mon 15-May-17 14:51:00

It would have been absolutely fine. They were frozen before they went out of date

SmileEachDay Mon 15-May-17 14:51:04

That's what freezing is for - preserving food.

Your friend is a silly billy.

AirBiscuitEater Mon 15-May-17 14:51:56

<massive face palm>

Your friend sounds bloody rude.

I'm pretty sure on most packs of those yogurt tubes it says they are freezable before use by date.

Just ignore her snotty comments OP.

guineapig1 Mon 15-May-17 14:52:11

I agree that they'd be fine. Generally i err on the side of caution but would have no issues with frozen yoghurt provided it had beem frozen before the use by date iyswim

PaleAzureofSummer Mon 15-May-17 14:52:50

Your friend sounds a bit uptight

Orlantina Mon 15-May-17 14:54:32

A chance to post this:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4usAhEvMKZ4

SheepyFun Mon 15-May-17 14:55:09

If you froze the yoghurt within it's use-by date, you'll be fine. Actually, unless the yoghurt is visibly mouldy, you're almost certainly fine. I'm pretty relaxed about use-by dates - occasionally food goes off before them; I don't feed it to DD anyway. I don't think you need to worry about it.

MackerelOfFact Mon 15-May-17 14:55:49

She sounds rude and unhinged.

I assume she thought they had been purchased from the frozen section though, rather than from the fresh section and then frozen (but even then they weren't going to be 'unsafe').

Throwing them in the bin and making snide comments is unacceptable though!

AirBiscuitEater Mon 15-May-17 15:02:29

Orlantina that is perfect grin

allypally999 Mon 15-May-17 15:06:29

I've eaten yoghurt that was months past its date ... my motto is if it looks and smells ok (and tastes like it should) then its fine .. I'm still here!

Your pal sounds like a right one

chitofftheshovel Mon 15-May-17 16:08:33

Good grief, your friend sounds uptight and rude.
Text back something sarcastic along the lines of "thank goodness we'll have safe food at last and can give this surviving thing a proper chance".

BumWad Mon 15-May-17 16:09:50

Your friend is an idiot

Trb17 Mon 15-May-17 16:14:46

Your friend is an idiot.

For all of DD's 7 years at school I've put a frozen 'frube' style yogurt in her packed lunch. Frozen when it goes in and slowly defrosts ready for lunch.

They are nearly always 2-3 weeks past use by date as I freeze them on day or purchase. That's the whole point of freezing stuff before the use by dates.

Your friend is stupid. I'm not sure I could let it lie and would have to explain that she's wrong.

NotTheBelleoftheBall Mon 15-May-17 16:17:52

Even I eat food that was frozen before its use by date until around a month after its use by date. And I am very weird about what I will/won't eat.

Does she freeze bread (and whatever) and still eat it before it's use-by date, if so what's the point of freezing it?

Floggingmolly Mon 15-May-17 16:20:29

This is the whole point of freezing... if you planned to eat it within date you'd just stick it in the fridge. She seems a little on the dim side, God love her

DeadGood Mon 15-May-17 16:23:23

Um, your friend is a complete idiot.

Quick, we need some witty text responses that will make this person realise what a dick she has been ... is she a good friend, OP?!

DeadGood Mon 15-May-17 16:25:39

Maybe something like, "oh WeirdFriend, I thought you dashed off rather quickly - was this all about the yoghurt?! It was frozen when within use-by, so is fine to eat - that's the point of freezers!
See you later"
Not witty, but takes the power back a little

Littlepond Mon 15-May-17 17:15:14

Of course it's fine! Yoghurt is ok past it's use by date anyway, but freezing it is fine. Your friend is weird. And rude!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now