Talk

Advanced search

To be Furious at this Delivery Driver

(231 Posts)
BoredandConfused Mon 15-May-17 13:57:46

Delivery due today and I'm working from home to receive it. See the driver from my downstairs office and get up to go to the door...literally about eight feet away. He knocks and immediately tries the door to my home. Door's unlocked, starts to open and I'm already there to see him do this. He quickly shuts it when he sees me approach the door and apologises when I open it and roast him but I'm fuming!

This is the second time that this has happened in a week, the first time, the delivery wasn't even for me but for a Neighbour (my annoyance the last time was lost in the fact that they didn't even have the right house) Both times, car on the drive and no attempt from the driver to wait for someone to come to the door. I genuinely don't know if it was the same person both times.
AIBU?

BollardDodger Mon 15-May-17 14:08:55

Keep your door locked? How long should someone wait before trying the door? You could be on the loo or anything. I've never heard of someone keeping their front door unlocked.
You're lucky its just a delivery driver and no-one more sinister.

soapboxqueen Mon 15-May-17 14:10:53

My front door is often unlocked but I've never had anyone try to just come in. They sound like odd bods.

wickerlampshade Mon 15-May-17 14:11:34

Your front door is unlocked? WTF? You do know that if you get burgled your insurance won't pay. Who leaves their front door unlocked?

Justmadeperfectflapjacks Mon 15-May-17 14:12:25

Get a big dog lives here sticker!!

FreeSpiritJen Mon 15-May-17 14:13:44

He opened your door to leave the parcel even when it was for a neighbour? Fuck that. As a PP said, lock your door FGS! Why wouldn't you?

Our postie opens our side door and pops things in that are too big to get through the letterbox, but we have told him it's OK. If the door's locked (which it sometimes is,) he pops it in the garage.

But if you have not given the driver in question the go-ahead for him to open the door to drop the package off inside, then that's odd.

Keep the door locked.

TheWitTank Mon 15-May-17 14:15:59

Why on earth do you keep your door unlocked? Of course, he shouldn't have tried to enter without permission, but I think it's crazy to run the risk of trusting people not to take advantage of an unlocked door. I live in rural nowhere and even I keep my door locked.

GiraffesAndButterflies Mon 15-May-17 14:16:47

As a student we were burgled in the day time while at home with the door unlocked. Burglar just opened the door and lifted the nearest things. I'd lock your doors if I were you.

BoredandConfused Mon 15-May-17 14:18:35

I don't lock my door if I am working from the office, which is eight feet away.

TheWitTank Mon 15-May-17 14:21:13

Because you presume people won't do a snatch and run or just knock you out of the way to gain access? Seriously, lock your door even if you are 8 feet away.

amusedbush Mon 15-May-17 14:23:01

I used to leave my flat door unlocked but then two random men walked into my flat one day and I nearly died of fright. It turns out they were lovely and were visiting the guy upstairs but I've never left it unlocked since.

allegretto Mon 15-May-17 14:23:38

I know a lot of people who don't lock their doors. I'd always presumed it was so the postman could do just that! My aunt didn't use to lock her door as she was working almost in view of the front door - until she found a burglar on his hands and knees trying to sneak past her!

Liiinoo Mon 15-May-17 14:23:42

Another one saying lock the door. Even if you live in the worlds safest neighbourhood it will stop delivery men annoying you.

BoredandConfused Mon 15-May-17 14:23:53

No. Because I can see anyone approaching the house and be at the door to greet them.

seafoodeatit Mon 15-May-17 14:23:56

YANBU, who the hell tries to open someone's door? knock, wait, push card surely?

You've just reminded me to lock my door, or at least I was going to until I saw the time and should be dressed already for the school, bugger.

alphajuliet123 Mon 15-May-17 14:24:26

Thing is, if a door is shut, you might as well lock it, no?

Wolfiefan Mon 15-May-17 14:25:16

Delivery driver is clearly in the wrong.
But I would NEVER leave my door unlocked. Ever.

TheWitTank Mon 15-May-17 14:26:41

But surely you may as well lock it if it's shut anyway? What's the point of leaving it unlocked?

KingPrawnOkay Mon 15-May-17 14:27:34

I've never heard anyone lock their front doors if someone's downstairs at home confused. Off to go and lock my door then I suppose. But yes, that was a bizarre thing for the delivery driver to do.

PuppyMonkey Mon 15-May-17 14:27:40

You sit in the same spot all a day oooking got visitors? What about when you out the kettle on or go for a wee?

Do please keep your door locked, or I shall worry.

SwimmingInLemonade Mon 15-May-17 14:27:55

If you can see anyone approaching and get up to greet them, you can unlock the door at the same time can't you? I don't get the benefit of leaving it unlocked?

takeabreakthatslife Mon 15-May-17 14:28:17

This door locked / unlocked door thing
Has been on here before. I was horrified at the amount of people who are able to relax in their homes with the door unlocked. Madness. So what if you can see the door? There will be many examples in this thread about strange people going in through unlocked doors yet people still do it.

I have no idea how anyone can sleep with the door unlocked either.

PuppyMonkey Mon 15-May-17 14:28:21

* looking for visitors

1AnnoyingOrange Mon 15-May-17 14:30:10

Presumably he was going to pop delivery inside door. YANBU to think he could have had a bit of patience.

I live in the country so would only lock the house at night. I leave the garage open even if we aren't home - for deliveries! I did used to lock my front door when I lived in a city though (although back door always open so children can walk into garden).
This is for wickerlampshade who was wondering who leaves their doors unlocked!

countrybump Mon 15-May-17 14:30:43

OP - I never lock my front door unless we are out, and I'm not worried about burglars or delivery drivers! I think how you feel about locking your front door may depend on the location of your house. But, either way, I'd find it shocking if a delivery driver opened the door to leave a parcel for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now