Talk

Advanced search

To have a word with the teacher

(11 Posts)
MrsSparkles Mon 15-May-17 13:30:43

About a child who isn't mine. They said to me (outside school) last week that child x was horrid to them every day, called them names, encouraged others to - I volunteer a couple of times a week at the school and all the kids know me quite well.

I told their mum and said I thought she should have a word - child x has history with quite a few children in the class (including mine) of low level bad behaviour (I hate to call it bullying when they're so little but that's really what it feels like).

Is it my business to mention to the teacher how upset they were about it?

harderandharder2breathe Mon 15-May-17 13:32:42

You can have a word, just be clear that you know they can't discuss it with you, but you thought you ought to let them know

Astro55 Mon 15-May-17 13:32:53

It wasn't your place to tell the mom - you should've encouraged the child to speak to his mother or teacher -

As a volunteer at the school you should be more discreet - if the mom tells school you told her - you could be pulled in

MrsSparkles Mon 15-May-17 13:37:28

If it had been in school - then yes - I wouldn't have hesitated straight to the teacher (which I guess gives me my answer!). It just felt different when it was outside of school.

I had to tell their mum why they were so upset (there was an incident) and she is already aware of it.

soapboxqueen Mon 15-May-17 13:54:17

Since you've passed the information onto the mother of the child, I wouldn't then go to the school as well, particularly since the disclosure happened outside of school. It would look like you think the mother isn't dealing with it.

If something comes up when you are volunteering in school, then it would be appropriate to share it with the teacher.

Assume the mother has spoken to the school.

requestingsunshine Mon 15-May-17 13:56:55

You did right to tell the mum, I would want to be told if another adult knew why my child was upset or hurt. Definitely mention it to the teacher. And then hope they do something about it.

Rossigigi Mon 15-May-17 13:58:19

Really you should have told the class teacher and not be disclosing things out of school that had happened in school when it is not your child- that can or may get you in a little trouble.

soapboxqueen Mon 15-May-17 14:06:24

Ross OP said the child telling them they were unhappy happened outside of school.

soapboxqueen Mon 15-May-17 14:06:26

Ross OP said the child telling them they were unhappy happened outside of school.

welovepancakes Mon 15-May-17 14:07:17

If the child opened up to you in school, you should have spoken to the teacher only. In your case, the child opened up to you outside school, so I think you did the right thing telling his / her mum, but that should be the end of your involvement

One of my children had an issue with a child in his class. I offered to mention it to the teacher, but he didn't want me to. I respected his choice. In that situation, if you had told the teacher, I would feel annoyed that you were interfering (albeit with good intentions)

Mushypeasandchipstogo Mon 15-May-17 15:03:49

You should not have spoken to the mother. Surely your school should have made you aware of your responsibilities in situations like this. Go straight to the teacher whether it is in school or not.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now