Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To apply for leaflet distribution work?

(22 Posts)
UserEleventyBillion Mon 15-May-17 02:30:25

Family are giving me grief for suggesting it. I know it is probably shit pay, but shit pay is better than no pay. I suffer badly from anxiety among other things which is making finding a job I can handle hard, but I need some money coming in while I'm trying to get help with them. Financially we are ok but I hate not being able to pay my way and need to work at some point so I've been looking for something small for now. Baby steps.

The company I was looking at gives you a week to deliver each batch you accept, walking around on my own is difficult for me but it'd be so much easier than having to interact with customers/colleagues, be in a crowded shop or stuff like that. It seems a lot less pressure which I really need.

Is it really such a bad job? I thought it is better than nothing but now I'm second guessing myself. sad

DesignedForLife Mon 15-May-17 02:45:40

Go for it. You'll be fit as a fiddle too.have you thought about being a postman?

Awwlookatmybabyspider Mon 15-May-17 02:46:08

There's no such thing as a bad job. A job's a Job. There's no shame in earning an honest living.
What is bothering me though is the fact that your family are pressuring you. Anxiety is bad enough without all that.
So yes only take the job. If Youre
ready and feel able to cope

lolalament Mon 15-May-17 03:00:00

Just be aware that you will meet some people - someone might be outside their house washing the car, or emptying their bin, or even just about to go out. So you will need to be at least able to say "hello" to people.
But you do have the knowledge that the people you interact with won't be customers/colleagues so you'll never see them again.

UserEleventyBillion Mon 15-May-17 03:03:16

I looked at a couple of ads for postie jobs but they require a driving license anyway which I don't have yet.

They don't mean badly, they worry about me and the lack of money is squashing my independence even more than the MH issues already were. Waiting until I get proper help was brought up but that could be months down the line and until then I don't know if I feel ready or not. My brain tells me everything is too much, but feeling like a burden is driving me mad. At least doing this it isn't set times I have to be there so if I have a bad patch I can try to work around it.

LadyPW Mon 15-May-17 08:06:27

Go for it. Worse case scenario you get a bit of money, some fresh air & get a bit fitter. I've thought about it to earn a few more quid while getting exercise but the only ones round here need you to ring a phone number to apply & I hate phone calls. If you could apply online then I'd be giving it a whirl.

gabsdot Mon 15-May-17 08:33:14

I used to run a small business and I did a lot of leafleting to promote myself. I enjoyed it. Id have my headphones on and it kept me fit.

listsandbudgets Mon 15-May-17 08:44:03

go for it. shove in some earphones and get walking.

Whatever you do dont put your fingers through the letter box. the dangerous dogs are not the ones who bark loudly but the ones that silently lurk and you only find out about when blood is spurting out of you (finger still hurting from 2 years earlier)

AnthonyPandy Mon 15-May-17 08:52:56

I've got friends who do it and they love it. Wear your comfy shoes , good coat and your iPod.

kmc1111 Mon 15-May-17 08:59:10

It might not be a bad thing to do just to get out of the house and have something to do.

However it really does pay peanuts and will be hard to do without a car as you'll have to go back to your house every single time you need more leaflets (most people where I am load up their car, do a little area then drive to the next section so they're only doubling back on themselves in short bursts). With that in mind, and considering you usually have to bundle the leaflets together yourself, it might be more time consuming than you're expecting. Definitely apply, but get an idea of just how much is expected before you actually take it on. It used to take my DS a day and a half to do the bundling and delivering, and he literally ran at full tilt the whole route while carrying a ridiculous amount. Even then the money was definitely not enough for the time put in.

Not trying to be a downer, it's certainly better than nothing, but you could get a shock if you think it's going to be a really easy job.

TillyTheTiger Mon 15-May-17 09:01:23

Top tip - a wooden spoon! As you're walking to each door fold the leaflet over the end of the spoon and use the spoon to push it through the letterbox. Saves your fingers from dog bites and means the leaflets don't get stuck in the letterbox.

PerkingFaintly Mon 15-May-17 09:04:08

It sounds just right for you! And a very sensible step forwards.

Maybe avoid doing political leafletting, if you're feeling a bit fragile and not up to discussing the contents. And respect signs saying "No Junk Mail Please".

But otherwise, if you don't mind the poor pay it, go for it.

KindleBueno Mon 15-May-17 09:04:49

Go for it. My friend does this as she can't cope atm with anything stresseier and she loves it. She works quickly so quite often is earning a good bit above minimum wage.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Mon 15-May-17 09:06:16

Go for it. I think jobs like this are gold dust aren't they? I tried to do it a few years ago and gave up looking, there wasn't anything around.

beecrazy Mon 15-May-17 09:08:43

I did it when the children were young as I could be there to take them and collect from school. I got very fit so see it as being paid to go to a gym and it makes the slog so much better!

Velvetbee Mon 15-May-17 09:23:27

I do it. Get a trolley if you don't have a car. I got quite speedy after a couple of months learning the round and earn £8 - £11 an hour.

Velvetbee Mon 15-May-17 09:25:18

Posted too soon. I like looking at the gardens as I go round, it's very therapeutic.

SnugglySnerd Mon 15-May-17 09:27:30

Someone near me does it with her baby in a buggy, advantage being she can carry all the leaflets in the shopping basket on the buggy. Go for it, exercise is also good for mental health.

PerkingFaintly Mon 15-May-17 12:28:31

VelvetBee, I'm impressed.

I thought it would work out at minimum wage when done quickly (and therefore below minimum wage for the OP as a newbie).

BackforGood Mon 15-May-17 12:35:26

As others have said, it sounds like an excellent plan. You can fit it in when you want, you are getting paid to get outside and exercise. What's not to like ?
Of course it's not a long term career, but that's not what you need at the moment.

DJBaggySmalls Mon 15-May-17 12:39:22

Lots of adults do it where I live. If you like walking its actually not so bad, you can wear headphones and listen to music. If you are worried about your safety get a loud personal alarm from Ebay.

CaulkheadNorth Mon 15-May-17 12:40:46

I delivered phone books and hated it - couldn't carry many and the area involved a lot of long driveways so more walking than I anticipated. They also delivered them all to me in one go, and there were so many more than I anticipated!!

If you can be sure it's just leaflets and is in the area you live then go for it. Not being able to drive between areas might be an issue so maybe get a shopping trolley to keep them in?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now