Talk

Advanced search

Paid £400 and he walked all over it!!

(55 Posts)
AnUnhappyStudent Sun 14-May-17 23:25:01

Had an area of over garden concreted today (getting a new dog and wanted area we could let him out in and hose clean if necessary. Laid for about 2 hours go outside and find a ball mark and a set of footprints. Only child on the street my DN 12 years old so went to have a word with my sister about it and she hit the roof! Said he had not been out and that I aleays blame her kids for stuff. Told her had been out because we had seen him on the drive. She marches round has a go at me and gets her son to lift feet up saying 'there is no concrete on them' just fuck off. Point out that the tred is exactly same as the foot prints. More abuse and she storms off back into her house. Then texted me about 15 minutes later to say it was him, to get the contractors back and she will pay for it and that there nothing else she can do.
But its not the money its the fact that once again her DS can do no wrong and we have been verbally abused because her son caused damage then lied about it! He has form for this but honestly if he had knocked on the door and told us we would have accepted an apology! WIBU to say yes there is something else you can do, both of you need to apologise?

AnUnhappyStudent Sun 14-May-17 23:29:22

Sorry have posted this twice!

Notonetodance Sun 14-May-17 23:51:49

Just take the money get it sorted and move on life's too short

kali110 Sun 14-May-17 23:54:26

I'd take the money and then provably not really bother with her if she's that much hassle.

NotJimbo Sun 14-May-17 23:56:18

I understand why you're annoyed, but she has already admitted they were wrong, and offered to put it right, what more do you want? There's no good can come out of stringing this on and on.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 14-May-17 23:58:02

Oh, its your DSis that's caused the aggro , not NDN .

Has your Nephew done things in the past.(Of the vandal description? )
Can you even repair concrete once its set? Wouldn't you have to lay a really thick screed layer? If you just filled in, it would crumble.

I'd have him on Picking Up duty for the next , oohhh , year at least.

Puddington Sun 14-May-17 23:58:58

What kali said. I'd be annoyed by her overreacting like that too tbh but trying to force her to apologise will probably just cause more bad feeling and another argument, might be easier to just walk away.

DancingLedge Mon 15-May-17 00:02:55

No one can force anyone to apologise.

But, calmly pointing out that if they had just said sorry you would have differently, that seems fair enough.

BackforGood Mon 15-May-17 00:03:58

What NotJimbo said. She has come back, admitted she was wrong, and offered to pay to have it put right. Not sure what you would hope to gain by making an issue out of it.

GardenGeek Mon 15-May-17 00:31:58

As 70 said you need to get it looked at ASAP. Call builder tomorrow and take photos to show him. Hopefully it can be fixed but its going to have a much shorter life now if you just fill it in.

You may have to remove it all and start again sad

If your sis is willing to pay the bill, then say no more and just send the bill.

ZilphasHatpin Mon 15-May-17 00:34:52

it's just footprints, it doesn't affect how the ground works

scoobydoo1971 Mon 15-May-17 00:52:19

A few weeks ago I painted my concrete front step with expensive paint. It takes ages to form a skin. Left sign to say 'wet paint' but came back from school run to find huge foot prints embedded by clueless courier. Took wet paint off, started again... bigger sign....repainted...as it dried, my neighbour stood in it banging on the door about random gossip...ffs...ended up doing stones as I lost will to live. Send the bill...time to forgive and forget?

SnapAttack Mon 15-May-17 00:58:52

Is the sister comment a typp?

TheMysteriousJackelope Mon 15-May-17 01:10:28

OP I would put a lock on your gate to stop your nephew going back there as he seems to have a history for breaking stuff and then your sister mouthing off at you. Hard to 'forgive and forget' when you are given repeat performances of the same thing to keep it in your mind.

It's annoying. Who wants to look at lumpy, bumpy, concrete in your back yard? The footprints will make it harder to clean too. I hope the builder can fix it without having to take the whole thing up.

And what 12 year old doesn't understand how wet concrete works?

rubiq Mon 15-May-17 01:16:16

hes fessed it, you been offered the money to get it sorted, your making it out to be a bigger deal than it needs to be..

accept the appology and the payment and move on, no need to be angry about it, accidents happen

AnUnhappyStudent Mon 15-May-17 07:45:27

Yes I know I should forget it but its more about how she treated me and my DH when we told her! If my child had damaged the property of others I would be apologising not ranting. But as people have said it is not worth the agro. Sometimes its hard to believe we were brought up by the same parents!

NormaSmuff Mon 15-May-17 08:20:28

i imagine it was hard to resist for a child.

but she has offered to pay.
just let it go op.

blerp Mon 15-May-17 08:40:59

Sounds like you could have jumped to a conclusion or approached with an unintentionally harsh accusatory tone before, OP?

Even if you haven't this will have been a lesson in itself for her. If you don't behave in a way that puts her on the defensive, it all adds up and she will be more likely to consider DC might have been naughty. So I'd treat it as done, be kind and grown up about it, be ready to put it in the past and move on. flowers

arbrighton Mon 15-May-17 08:50:43

YOu can't make her apologise to you, at least not meaningfully

WhatALoadOfOldBollocks Mon 15-May-17 08:51:55

it's just footprints, it doesn't affect how the ground works
I have a feeling that it will decrease the lifespan of the area because as water collects in the dips and freezes it eventualy breaks it up. Also makes it harder to sweep up as debris collects in it.

Left sign to say 'wet paint' but came back from school run to find huge foot prints embedded by clueless courier
Did the sign only say "wet paint" or "wet paint on doorstep. Do not step on it"? Maybe they thought it was the door or frame?

diddl Mon 15-May-17 08:52:45

Why is your nephew just wandering all over your proprty?

When did you see him on the drive & what did you do?

WateryTart Mon 15-May-17 08:54:17

Take the money and let it go. She'll learn her lesson eventually, when he's brought home by the police.

RB68 Mon 15-May-17 08:54:29

Its for the dog to shit on. Get a life

NormaSmuff Mon 15-May-17 08:55:44

oh are you the sister? shock RB68

Ceto Mon 15-May-17 09:02:56

Well, at least you have your ammunition for the future. Next time he damages something and denies it and your sister supports him, point out that he has already demonstrated form for lying so maybe she should rethink.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now