Talk

Advanced search

To be anxious about ds's first overnight camp

(8 Posts)
LittleLionMansMummy Sun 14-May-17 21:23:23

He's 6 and going on a Beavers camp quite close to home. But he's only ever stayed overnight at trusted family members' houses, he has occasional night terrors and is still in night time pants (waiting till he turns 7 before taking him to the GP). His leaders are aware of this as he was initially reluctant to go because of it. We've made it clear it's his decision and certainly wouldn't force him to go, but his leader has been really supportive and made some suggestions about how she can help and he decided he wanted to take the plunge, bless him.

I guess every parent feels like this the first time their child stays away? I just keep thinking about how crazy it is to entrust your child to a virtual stranger. Surely nobody will keep him as safe as I would?! I'm not an anxious or overprotective parent, but this is making me very nervous. Of course I'm not letting my anxiety show - he's done so well to take the leap as it is. Keep seeing things in the news about kids getting into danger or worse on trips away from home.

grasspigeons Sun 14-May-17 21:28:19

I know this isn't the question you are asking...but go to the GP now. I waited until 7 and was referred to the enuresis clinic who were adamant that earlier referral would help and were actively trying to persuade GP to refer at 5...The clinic promptly looked at my 5 year old too as he was in the room and sorted everything out for both of them.

As for your actual question, I think it's natural to worry but he will have so much fun.

cestlavielife Sun 14-May-17 21:33:24

They are not a stranger if he has been attending beavers every week and knows them
He wants to go
Let him.
It is near by
You can fetch him if needed.

ILoveDolly Sun 14-May-17 21:33:42

You're perfectly normal to worry but I suspect that he'll have a lovely time, and the Beaver leaders will be used to dealing with these night time issues as they are not uncommon and you have sensibly alerted them to any potential problems. These experiences help children to grow in confidence and independence in a very safe well vetted environment.

mumeeee Sun 14-May-17 21:33:52

He will be fine. DD3 was still in night time pants at 10. She went away with Guides and was supported very well and they reminded her to take her medication.
She was under the enuresis clinic who actually said referrals weren't really helpful under 7.

MarciaBlaine Sun 14-May-17 21:37:34

He will be fine and have fun. All this stuff helps to build their independence. It's much worse for the parents who worry ;-)

Hippee Sun 14-May-17 22:02:34

DS1 (then 9) had to go on his school residential for 4 days this year and I was assured that he would not be the only bedwetter - he wore pull-ups and was fine. DS2 (then 7) has been on 2 Beaver camps with pull-ups and has been fine - it's more common than you think and everyone is prepared for it.

OhMrBadger Sun 14-May-17 22:09:57

This is really interesting OP as my DS2 also has occasional night terrors and we are reluctant to leave him overnight just in case he has one. He has no idea he's had one but it seems so unfair to expect another adult to have to deal with it.

He hasn't had any Beaver camps yet but we're just not sure what to do when one does come up.

DS1 has been on camps and it's been absolutely fine. Perfectly safe and well looked after. I hope he has a fantastic time OP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now