Talk

Advanced search

WIBU to tell my parents to grow the fuck up?

(199 Posts)
Emboo19 Sun 14-May-17 20:39:33

Really need to rant, so I don't say something I regret!!

Posted about my parents and housing issue before.
Basically I own the house, my parents live there and have done rent free since I was a child.

I've recently moved out, with my boyfriend and our dd.
My parents are supposed to be now paying rent, significantly less than the going rate. And they haven't even managed one month!

My grandparents are sorting it and paying me and my parents are paying them. So I'm not missing out financially, but I'm then having to take money from my retired grandparents, knowing they aren't getting it back.

I know what they earn and they can afford what they're supposed to be paying, in fact my grandfather was only asking them for half for the first 6 months while they get used to it.
When I found out they hadn't paid I spoke to my mum and she was full of excuses, car needed mot, dad needed to do his self assessment tax and then they'd pay it back........

That's annoying enough, then today they come for Sunday lunch and they've booked not one, but two holidays!
And my father, actually had the cheek to say, we could do with more space as my boyfriends music stuff was in the living room.
They live in my four bedroom house angry

I love my parents and we get on really well. They're great with dd and everything. I just feel so furious with them right now and want to tell them it's time they grow up and start taking responsibility for themselves.

Imbroglio Sun 14-May-17 20:44:55

Unusual situation.

mygorgeousmilo Sun 14-May-17 20:45:14

I'd be honest with them

Hissy Sun 14-May-17 20:46:19

You need to ask them to leave.

I dare say you could rent out that house at a commercial rent , through an agent and use some of that money to throw it away on housing your financially feckless parents, without any expectation of them ever paying it back

They aren't taking you seriously, and won't.

OfficiallyUnofficial Sun 14-May-17 20:46:55

Don't take money from your grandparents you are just shifting the problem to them!

Kick your parents out.

Highalert Sun 14-May-17 20:48:49

How did you own the house when you were a child?

PaulAnkaTheDog Sun 14-May-17 20:49:44

Ummmmmm wtf? Why would you even take money from your grandparents? If your parents can't pay they move it. Simple.

MrsGB2225 Sun 14-May-17 20:50:09

How did you own your own house so young?

PaulAnkaTheDog Sun 14-May-17 20:50:31

Highalert it happens. My ds has a house that is in a trust for him until he turns 21.

GreenHairDontCare Sun 14-May-17 20:50:36

Is the house an inheritance? Or a gift from your grandparents?

I know it's a complicated situation as they are your parents, but they are FLEECING you. You need to look after yourself and your dc. They really are not your responsibility.

Ineedagoodusername Sun 14-May-17 20:51:20

I don't get it. Why do u own their house, how did u own it as a child?

RandomMess Sun 14-May-17 20:51:56

Yes I think you do need to tell them to grow up!

You had a lot of advice the first time you posted about it all.

They are going to continue to be irresponsible for as long as they are enabled...

Time to serve notice?

Petalbird Sun 14-May-17 20:52:27

If it's just your parents living in your 4 bed house could you rent some of the other rooms out if your parents ain't willing to pay you can financially get some of the money back (and make their lives more awkward until they are willing to pay rent)

Kittykatclaws Sun 14-May-17 20:57:20

I don't agree with them not paying rent so please don't get me wrong but I can imagine it's a very odd situation to pay your own child (grown now) rent on the house they brought you up in.. it must feel like it's theirs in a way (rightly or wrongly) and I presume if it was left for you in trust that as you didn't outright pay the mortgage yourself they might see it as you are no worse off.
What a tricky situation!

Mulberry72 Sun 14-May-17 20:59:54

I agree with PP's about not taking any more money from your GP's, as they're never going to get it back and it's just passing the problem on.

Is it possible to give them notice that you're putting the house up for sale so they'll have to find somewhere else to live? You'd probably have to cut your losses for the rent they already owe you.

Renting property to family very rarely ends well (I speak from bitter experience) we are NC with my BIL for a similar reason.

ijustwannadance Sun 14-May-17 21:01:21

Why didn't you stay and they leave?

Tell them they need to have a standing order set up by next month or find somewhere else to live.

Would you ever sell the house?

Jazzywazzydodah Sun 14-May-17 21:08:06

My cousin is in the same boat!

He bought the house of his parents so they could enjoy the money and retire early hmm and then started complaining when he asked for a very small contribution to mortgage as he didn't even live there.

He even has to sleep on the couch when he visits as they won't clear out the spare room where there is a bed.

I agree you have to stop taking money of your grandparents that's actually incredibly mean.

Tell them to move out

Jazzywazzydodah Sun 14-May-17 21:08:23

Or in fact just sell it

PyongyangKipperbang Sun 14-May-17 21:10:00

I am sorry to bring up your previous thread but as I recall, lots of people were saying then that if you move out then they wont pay.

I think you need to give them notice to leave and move back yourself.

Presumably you are on a 6 month contract where you are so tell them that when its up you will be moving back so they need to be ready to move out.

Its the only way. Your grandparent left you that house precisely because of how feckless your mother is, and they have been shielded from real life ever since. They wont grow up unless they are forced to, so sad as it is, you will have to push the issue.

Ridiculous that the daughter is having to do this to her parents but they have brought it upon themselves.

InvisibleKittenAttack Sun 14-May-17 21:13:24

I think I remember your previous thread when you were living there with your baby and your parents weren't respecting that it was your house. Did grandparents buy the house officially in your name because your parents are pretty feckless, they knew that when you reached adulthood they would have to move out, they agreed to this but made no plan to do anything other than live in that house for the rest of their lives, haven't saved anything etc?

You were told then to evicit them and sell the house.

The advice remains the same, serve eviction notice, sell house.

InvisibleKittenAttack Sun 14-May-17 21:15:08

oh and don't move in until you've got them out. I would suggest selling and buying something else to stop them just not going.

Time to put yourself and your DD first. They leave. You shouldn't be paying rent elsewhere when you own a house outright.

FatOldBag Sun 14-May-17 21:15:59

You're taking rent from your grandparents who gifted you the house? WTF?

Emboo19 Sun 14-May-17 21:16:30

Sorry, yes it's an inheritance. My great grandma left it to me, with agreement my parents could live there with me as a child. My grandparents have always sorted it all out and it was my grandads idea to do it this way when I moved out.
My grandparents are well off and can afford it and honestly whatever they pay, I think my gd, will give them back when I sell.
That's not the point though!

I will sell when I finish uni. My parents know this but make no plans, savings etc!!

Nanna50 Sun 14-May-17 21:16:47

They have lived rent free since you were a child, your grandparents are now paying it for them. I can't see them taking responsibility any time soon as there are no consequences and it's an expense they have never had to prioritise.

If you want rent for your house then you will have to take responsibility to start the eviction process. Do you have a proper tenancy, insurance etc?

FreakinScaryCaaw Sun 14-May-17 21:18:33

They're not going to change.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now